XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
jonmaceng
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Does any flash/chip tune exist for X1 N55?

If so what is it called?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3-35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmaceng View Post
If so what is it called?
http://www.dinancars.com/products/X-...-X1-X5-X6.aspx
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
jonmaceng
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Anything besides dinan?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
There's a few. Search Googlez.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Burger Motor Sports has a 1 stage and 2 stage tunes... i am considering the 1 stage tune. Its under $400
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmaceng View Post
Anything besides dinan?
Yes the JuiceBox units (Burger) are available and are less expensive, but for me I like the piece of mind of having my warranty protection not be threatened. I realize you can remove the JB's and wipe the memory of it being there, I just don't want to have to bother doing that every time I take the vehicle in for service.

http://www.burgertuning.com/N55_Stage2_Jb4.html
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

It depends on what your goals are. If you are okay with paying $2000+ for a very small bump in power that is covered by warranty, go Dinan.

If you are interested in more significant power gains, than Burger Turning is your only choice. I run a JB4 Stage 2 (along with other bolt-on mods) and have the N55 AWD world record, running a 12.1s 1/4 mile. You won't even be in the 12's with the Dinan tune. My car is probably putting out about 370WHP to be able to run those times and trap 111mph.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i m sport

bam bam ha ha
      11-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
BlackJackel
Private
Rep
Drives: Black X1 35i, Dinan stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
It depends on what your goals are. If you are okay with paying $2000+ for a very small bump in power that is covered by warranty, go Dinan.

If you are interested in more significant power gains, than Burger Turning is your only choice. I run a JB4 Stage 2 (along with other bolt-on mods) and have the N55 AWD world record, running a 12.1s 1/4 mile. You won't even be in the 12's with the Dinan tune. My car is probably putting out about 370WHP to be able to run those times and trap 111mph.
Dead on. I put down a dyno verified 247whp/306wtq at 6000 feet elevation with a Dinan stage 2 (yes, a little over $2,000).
Equal to about 350/425 crank at sea level. Gives me about two or three tenths (enough to beat a stock 335i or Jeep SRT8 up here). If you want the warranty (which you should with a daily driver), then go Dinan.
If you have a "backup car" or want max performance for your SAV, then go Burger Tuning, etc...

Oh, and BTW, 12.1... dayyum!!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #10
iride4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35 M-Sport Dinan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJackel View Post
Dead on. I put down a dyno verified 247whp/306wtq at 6000 feet elevation with a Dinan stage 2 (yes, a little over $2,000).
Equal to about 350/425 crank at sea level. Gives me about two or three tenths (enough to beat a stock 335i or Jeep SRT8 up here). If you want the warranty (which you should with a daily driver), then go Dinan.
If you have a "backup car" or want max performance for your SAV, then go Burger Tuning, etc...

Oh, and BTW, 12.1... dayyum!!
I will also be getting a Dinan Stage 2 for the increase in power and torque as well as keeping the warranty. If I want out right speed I get always get on my motorcycle.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #11
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Another Dinan stage II owner. Quite pleased with the results.

They're also offering 15% off right now till Nov 30, so that would save 299.00

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
BlackJackel
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
I will also be getting a Dinan Stage 2 for the increase in power and torque as well as keeping the warranty. If I want out right speed I get always get on my motorcycle.
. Good choice. That's what I have:

2014 X1 35i XDrive with Dinan stage 2.
2009 Hayabusa, lots of mods.

Always find it funny when people compare sports cars to SUVs (or SAVs). If the weather is nice the bike will out accelerate any of the cars on the street.
Great combo, as long as you only crash in the BMW... Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 06:14 AM   #13
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
. Good choice. That's what I have:

2014 X1 35i XDrive with Dinan stage 2.
2009 Hayabusa, lots of mods.

Always find it funny when people compare sports cars to SUVs (or SAVs). If the weather is nice the bike will out accelerate any of the cars on the street.
Great combo, as long as you only crash in the BMW... Lol

Ben Roethlisberger is that you?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #14
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Always find it funny when people compare sports cars to SUVs (or SAVs).
Why though?

I mean, mine is faster than 95% of sports cars under 100k in a straight line (even if you decide to equivalently mod the sports cars), and for the curves I took mine to Mid-Ohio and was the fastest car/driver in my group.

Is a Porsche a better sports car than the X1? Oh, absolutely. Will a professional driver in a Porsche blow away the laptimes of the X1? Yup, no doubt.

But, with real-world drivers is the X1 close enough in performance to the Porsche where it becomes a driver's race? Yes. That's not the case for the majority of cars out there, and virtually no SUVs. Put me in a Range Rover and there is just no way I would have been able to keep up and pass the Porsches and M3s in my group. But the X1 did.

The X1 isn't a sports car and I understand where you're coming from. But I think, performance wise, it's not entirely unfair to compare it to many of them (of course, I guess that ultimately depends on what you consider a sports car).

Last edited by paradoxical3; 11-22-2013 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
The X1 isn't a sports car and I understand where you're coming from. But I think, performance wise, it's not entirely unfair to compare it to many of them (of course, I guess that ultimately depends on what you consider a sports car).
You can't lean with speed in your X1

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
BlackJackel
Private
Rep

Quote:
Why though?

I mean, mine is faster than 95% of sports cars under 100k in a straight line (even if you decide to equivalently mod the sports cars), and for the curves I took mine to Mid-Ohio and was the fastest car/driver in my group.

Is a Porsche a better sports car than the X1? Oh, absolutely. Will a professional driver in a Porsche blow away the laptimes of the X1? Yup, no doubt.

But, with real-world drivers is the X1 close enough in performance to the Porsche where it becomes a driver's race? Yes. That's not the case for the majority of cars out there, and virtually no SUVs. Put me in a Range Rover and there is just no way I would have been able to keep up and pass the Porsches and M3s in my group. But the X1 did.

Here is why IMO. An SUV is heavier, less aerodynamic, and has a higher CG than a sports car (or even a sports sedan). Thus it will always perform worse than its direct compatible car in that category.
I am no pro, but have been fortunate enough to own and drive a corvette (C5), Porsche (C4 and turbo), Diablo tuned Jeep SRT8, and now the Dinan tuned BMW X1 (albeit not an "M" version). (Along with a lot of "not fun" cars) both on the road and at the track.

The Jeep and BMW are great for acceleration, but my stock Corvette C5 matched them both in that category and both of these SUVs were tuned. There is no way, M or not, that these SUVs can keep up on a curvy road with a comparably modified Corvette or Porsche properly driven. It's just physics.
The handling of modern performance SUVs rivals even some performance cars, but not the best ones. On real roads I can't match the speeds I could go in those cars with my SUVs. Close, but noticeably slower.
That said, there is a lot of value to a fast SUV that can handle. And it's fun to blow the doors off most fast cars out there. BUT I almost bought the 335i xDrive sedan. Same mods it will beat us in every performance test there is.

Except ground clearance, cargo capacity, commanding road view height, practicality, etc.

I think for a daily driver the SAV is the superior vehicle. I have spent thousands repairing "sport" cars from dips, curbs, debris, etc I have spent $0 on those repairs in my two SUVs. So to go fast in the real world on real roads I think the SUV is the BEST choice!

Keep in mind too the "comparably equipped part". Yours is pretty juiced up for an X1! You will beat most of the cars you described because of that. Yours would beat my old corvette, Porsche C4, and both of those SUVs. It would lose to the Porsche Turbo (if it ran that day!) and to my motorcycle.

I think the way you have yours set up you are completely correct. You can catch and pass Corvettes, Porsches, and M3s.
But when you meet an equal driver in a equally modded supercharged/turbocharged version you will lose that huge HP/WT advantage you have now and lose. How often has that happened so far though??

And BTW I am completely jealous of your X1. That thing is a monster!!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Here is why IMO. An SUV is heavier, less aerodynamic, and has a higher CG than a sports car (or even a sports sedan). Thus it will always perform worse than its direct compatible car in that category.
I am no pro, but have been fortunate enough to own and drive a corvette (C5), Porsche (C4 and turbo), Diablo tuned Jeep SRT8, and now the Dinan tuned BMW X1 (albeit not an "M" version). (Along with a lot of "not fun" cars) both on the road and at the track.

The Jeep and BMW are great for acceleration, but my stock Corvette C5 matched them both in that category and both of these SUVs were tuned. There is no way, M or not, that these SUVs can keep up on a curvy road with a comparably modified Corvette or Porsche properly driven. It's just physics.
The handling of modern performance SUVs rivals even some performance cars, but not the best ones. On real roads I can't match the speeds I could go in those cars with my SUVs. Close, but noticeably slower.
That said, there is a lot of value to a fast SUV that can handle. And it's fun to blow the doors off most fast cars out there. BUT I almost bought the 335i xDrive sedan. Same mods it will beat us in every performance test there is.

Except ground clearance, cargo capacity, commanding road view height, practicality, etc.

I think for a daily driver the SAV is the superior vehicle. I have spent thousands repairing "sport" cars from dips, curbs, debris, etc I have spent $0 on those repairs in my two SUVs. So to go fast in the real world on real roads I think the SUV is the BEST choice!

Keep in mind too the "comparably equipped part". Yours is pretty juiced up for an X1! You will beat most of the cars you described because of that. Yours would beat my old corvette, Porsche C4, and both of those SUVs. It would lose to the Porsche Turbo (if it ran that day!) and to my motorcycle.

I think the way you have yours set up you are completely correct. You can catch and pass Corvettes, Porsches, and M3s.
But when you meet an equal driver in a equally modded supercharged/turbocharged version you will lose that huge HP/WT advantage you have now and lose. How often has that happened so far though??

And BTW I am completely jealous of your X1. That thing is a monster!!
For me, where SUV's like the X1 are not comparable to sports cars are in terms of feel. I think performance wise, modern sport SUV's like the X1 and Cayenne are honestly faster around road courses than many sports cars. Are they faster than 2014, 80k sports cars like the M3? No, of course not. The same driver will always be faster in a M3. But is it close enough where it's a driver's race? Yes - and that is an incredible achievement in and of itself. Are they faster than hundreds of other sports cars, especially previous year models? Yes.

Years ago, the fastest SUV in the world with the best driver would lose to even the worst driver in a M3. Imagine racing an old chevy blazer around a track? You'd flip. Now, we have 45k SUVs that you can dump 1-2k of mods in and an average joe can be competitive with another average joe in a M3 around Mid-Ohio with. That's incredible.

I mean, would you not consider a S2000 a sports car? Or a Spec Miata? A BRZ? A STI? Older Porsche's and Vettes? These are all vehicles modern sport SUVs are faster than around a road course. But there is no comparison as far as feel goes - those rawer, lighter sports cars will be more fun to drive. But if you are just talking about numbers, it's incredible the advances that modern sports suv's have.

But if you don't believe me, ask the drivers of the M3s I blew by at mid-ohio. There are a few of them on these forums!

Last edited by paradoxical3; 11-26-2013 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #18
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Get more than 2 golf bags in a Vette. Then take it around a track to see how it does. That is, if you can get more than 2 bags in it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #19
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
Get more than 2 golf bags in a Vette. Then take it around a track to see how it does. That is, if you can get more than 2 bags in it.
Coming up to Edmonton for the BMW Alberta Advanced Driving School at Castrol Raceway's track, May 30-31, 2014?

There will be links via both the BMW Club of Southern Alberta's and the Northern Alberta BMW Club's websites.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #20
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i m sport

ha ha dont belive the hipe my x1 m sport 35i is lowered so i could keep up with my friends zo6 in turns and its very close now and once i add the engine mods para has which iam working on as we speak you will be singing a different tune.
      11-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #21
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I'm going to try to make it for that and the other track days up there. Will have to see what my work schedule looks like
Appreciate 0