Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

About to place an order for a X1...

I'm about to place an order for a new X1 Xdrive28i. In order to be able to afford this car, I have to go very light on the options. Anything higher than around $37k MSRP is going to be out of my price range. As I'm a big tech geek, the one thing that is a "must" is the tech package. I want the big screen with the navigation. That leaves room for a couple other items, but I'm not sure what they should be.

1) A few years back I had a first generation X5, and was not so impressed with the quality of the leather seats. I only had the car 3 years (lease), and by the end of those 3 years the drivers seat looked pretty worn. So I was thinking that I should go with the leatherette both to save money and because it wears a bit better. The dealer showed me a car with leatherette and it seemed fine. I think that most people would not even realize that it's not leather. Any thoughts?

2) Originally I was going to get Jet Black so to avoid the extra charge for metallic paint. But then in the showroom they had a Sapphire Black X1 and IMO it is a beautiful color. I guess the dealer must think so too, because out of 6 different vehicles they had in their showroom, 4 of them had Sapphire Black paint. It really seems to add some sparkle to the car, which is much needed since I won't be getting any of the "line" packages.

3) I was thinking of possibly spending the $600 extra for the upgrade to 18" wheels as I think they look nicer, but I drive a ton through NYC where the roads are very rough and pot hole infested. My last car had 18s and I bent a rim at one point and had to have it replaced. I'm thinking I may be better off with the 17s for that reason, and for better ride quality.

4) I was thinking to maybe get heated seats. The winters are cold here, and it's a nice feature to have, but you only use it a couple of months out of the years, so not sure if it's worth $500.

5) I had HID headlamps on my X5, and while they are nice I now live in a much more urban area and there are street lights everywhere, so not really sure they would be very useful. If you get the HIDs, do the daytime running lights look any different? I tried looking for pictures, but can only seem to find nighttime pictures of the headlights turned on. The price on these also seems a bit high.

6) HK sound upgrade... I had the standard non-HK system in my X5 and was fine with the sound. How is the quality of the basic system in the X1? In my experience, these upgraded sound systems from the factory usually do not sound that much better than the stock system, and usually not worth the extra cash.

If I get the Sapphire Black paint and add the tech package, then I'm at an MSRP of $36, 325, which then leaves me room for one more of the above options.

Also, after some negotiating, I'm being offered $4k off MSRP (which includes a $750 factory incentive). Is that a good deal?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
manofb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

I don't own an X1, but I did have one as a loaner for a week and I absolutely loved it, you are getting a great car.

I, like you, would absolutely have to have the Tech Package, my next must have is the sports seat though which you didn't mention. This probably won't fit in your budget, but imo, this is a must have.

I would skip the Harmon Kardon. My loaner had the standard stereo and it seemed perfectly adequate. Better than the standard stereo in the 1er and at least comparable to the 3er, if not slightly better.

I'm probably not helping much, but I thought I’d share. And again, I love the X1!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Eric,

Skip the sapphire black metallic and get the heated seats and HID. IMO, HID is a safety feature and magnitude/brightness is better than halogen. Further, the lamps swivel on turns. The halo around the headlights are LED daytime running lamps. They are bright and thus another safety feature.

Heated seats are great from Oct - early April where temps moderate here in the mid Atlantic.

17in wheels are fine for NYC with streets riddled with potholes, severe road imperfections.

With your budget, be practical and not fixated on paint color. The other options are more important in the grand scheme of things. Jet Black will look just fine when buffed and waxed.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Vertigo//SD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i (temporarily)

For me, the absolute must was the M sport and xenon lights. Here are the daytime running rings and eyebrow.
Attached Images

Last edited by Vertigo//SD; 10-23-2013 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
mikew007
Rep
Drives: 2014 X-1 xDrive 35i M

Mine is loaded. So I can look at this from a "what would I really miss" perspective.

Heated seats and the Lighting Package come to mind. The ability to plug in my iPod is a must have.

Most everything else, for me, is really nice to have but I could live without it...so to speak.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

On my X1 I only bought M Sport which gave really good Black leatherette seats with power lumbar stock, and Mineral metallic white.

They put the ipod sync cord in with the dash papers, and the stock radio is killer (good). I turned the treble to +10 and the bass to -10, and it sounds great there or anywhere. I use the mp3 part of stock radio to play mp3 discs instead of iPod.

I was on desert back roads with stock Halogen lamps, and it lit reflectors as bright as I need. Had a great angled cut off pattern.

My 2014 X1 s28i M Sport is the best car I ever imagined, and if I wanted GPS I'd just buy a Garmin for a few hundred.

I bought a ScanGauge for reading corrected mph, voltage, mpg, and coolant temp while driving.

Also, I found a great Genius dvr HD 590 for recording driving at least for the track.

The economy is roaring out here in the oilfield so I had to pay approx. $35.5 TTL, but they'll have to work to get much service purchase out of me.

Considering the roads and winter you'd probably do well to get the x28i with stock wheels, and have some money for the tech you want.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Sports seats are a must have. They are so much more comfortable than the standard seats. Also, the leather is more breathable than the leatherette which will be nice in the summer as if you get a black interior, it will get smoking hot.

I just had a loaner with leatherette, and while it didn't feel extremely different to the touch, I noticed my back was moist after even short drives. It also felt as if the seat was more firm than my leather covered seats.

The lighting package has a few things not always noticed. Like exterior puddle lamps, convenient when in dark parking lots. Also, HIDs illuminate much more than a halogen and while you can't necessarily see the light itself, you will notice objects much sooner than with a halogen. As an electrician, I swear by the Xenons over any other type of light. The colour temperature is more natural, reducing fatigue on your eyes. Plus, it looks more like you've actually bought a BMW and not a Kia.

Heated seats. Shame you have to pay for that option down south, I can't live without them, but I also live a tad further north than you.

As for the sound, the HIFI upgrade is just as good as the HK for me. The loaner I just had was fitted with basic sound and it was rather pathetic. It had no bass output whatsoever. The HK is a good choice, because it's a stand alone option as the HIFI isn't. The HK has an equalizer, a very limited one and a centre speaker and faux surround sound. The HK is still much nicer than the base audio, but to me not worth an extra $800 CDN.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
briar08
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 28i SDrive

I got a completely base SDrive except for the Winter Package and the HK. I am perfectly happy with this set up. I came from a 2005 Passat Wagon.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the responses!

It sounds like everyone pretty much agrees that the HID Lighting Package is the way to go. I agree that the "ring" LED daytime running lights do add a lot to the look of the car. I also did not realize that package adds the puddle lamps -- that is a useful feature I've seen on some other cars.

As for the heated seats, I'll have to think about that one. I've had heated seats on some of my cars, although my X5 did not have them. It's a nice feature that I never really seem to miss much when I don't have.

Any comments as to the price? The local dealer is offering $4k off MSRP, which includes $750 cash incentive from BMW. I'm not eligible for the $500 loyalty bonus since it's been more than year since I last owned a BMW. Is his asking price a good offer? It's slightly below invoice, so I'm guessing there must be a serious amount of holdback on these cars, but I'm not sure what that amount is.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
mikew007
Rep
Drives: 2014 X-1 xDrive 35i M

I've bought a lot of cars! I've gotten some great deals and some not so great deals. My best advise to you is this. Get the best deal you can after doing your research. (4K under MSRP sounds nice by the way) Someone will always say they got your car for some really low price....take claims like that with a grain of salt! I'm sure there is truth to these statements but guys love to "brag". Anyway, my point is this: Make your deal and when YOU are happy with it, never look back and second guess yourself. Just enjoy your BMW! IF you love the car and you are happy with the deal, never give it another thought!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
Vertigo//SD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i (temporarily)

I have always been told to negotiate from invoice price and up rather than MSRP and down. My car was $1K over invoice but I got a holiday credit of $750 and the $500 loyalty so the final was $250 below invoice.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Tell them you'll pay $500 over msrp. Search this site and a few sites will come up which will calculate msrp. Most likely, the dealer will accept the offer as lots of guys on this site have gotten the same deal.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #13
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Sorry, I meant invoice price on my above post, not msrp.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
TTGator
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Dinan S3

Just placed an order to an X1 to be built. Dealer was trying to sell me one off the lot, but we wanted it EXACTLY like we wanted it, and they didn't have that. They said they would be able to give us a better deal for one they already have and the initial negotiation on the "closest one" to what we wanted was 200 over invoice.

So I went home, built the car on bmwusa.com, printed it out, and got the invoice price from some easy google site I don't recall (Edmonds maybe?). Went back and gave them an offer of the one to be built at 200 under invoice. He said he couldn't go that low. So I respectfully said "Ok, I think what I'll do then is go to dealer X (30 min away) and see if they will give it to me for that price". He quickly said "Let's just do it. I'm not going to lose a sale over $400".

It's currently in production and I can't wait for it to get here!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
TTGator
Banned
Rep

Oh I forgot to mention, the 200 under invoice was before the 750 credit, so total it will be 950 under invoice. Wish I had gotten in on the $1000 test drive incentive in August though
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTGator View Post
Oh I forgot to mention, the 200 under invoice was before the 750 credit, so total it will be 950 under invoice. Wish I had gotten in on the $1000 test drive incentive in August though
Thanks for the info! It seems that our deals will be very similar. Right now I'm being offered about $700 under invoice. So I'm going to ask for another $250-300 off. If I get it, I'll place the order tomorrow. If they say no, then I'll visit some other local dealers to see if I can get that deal.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #17
TTGator
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
Thanks for the info! It seems that our deals will be very similar. Right now I'm being offered about $700 under invoice. So I'm going to ask for another $250-300 off. If I get it, I'll place the order tomorrow. If they say no, then I'll visit some other local dealers to see if I can get that deal.
No problem and good luck! If you're nice about it and tell them you're willing to sign right there but you're also really prepared to walk out the door to check with another dealership, I bet they give it to you. I also told them that I know there's a chance that another dealership won't beat them, and if that's the case I'd come back.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #18
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTGator View Post
No problem and good luck! If you're nice about it and tell them you're willing to sign right there but you're also really prepared to walk out the door to check with another dealership, I bet they give it to you. I also told them that I know there's a chance that another dealership won't beat them, and if that's the case I'd come back.
Yup, that's the way to go about it. Be nice and polite, but reasonable at the same time and let them no you will go where the best deal is.

Anyway, I went in this afternoon and they gave me the deal. It was very easy, no back and forth. I told them what I wanted, the salesman went to see his manager for about 3 minutes, came back and told me it was approved. So they will be placing the order, and the car should come in 6-8 weeks. I'll post another thread with the specifics.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #19
Bamsterman68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 sDrive28i ///M-Sport

This might be a stupid question, but seeing as how I've lived on FL my whole life, I think it's a legit question: Is getting the xDrive necessary?

I ask because if I was in your situation, I would get an sDrive with the Ultimate Pac. Get regular black leather and Jet Black paint and you're at about $37k.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsterman68 View Post
This might be a stupid question, but seeing as how I've lived on FL my whole life, I think it's a legit question: Is getting the xDrive necessary?

I ask because if I was in your situation, I would get an sDrive with the Ultimate Pac. Get regular black leather and Jet Black paint and you're at about $37k.
It snows in the winter around here. In the snow rear wheel drive is really bad, front wheel drive is ok, and AWD/4WD is the best.

So unless I want to be stranded when it snows, I need AWD.

But yes, in FL the rear wheel drive is a better idea... and with a lighter car you get better acceleration and fuel economy.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #21
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsterman68 View Post

I drove my 2014 X1 s28i M Sport in Germany last June during massive rain which you might get in Florida.

I made sure to get summer performance tires which are Pirelli P7 225/45r18 and 255/40r18.

The traction is phenomenal in wet or dry.

If you go to Tire Rack and check replacement tires you'll see tests for performance street tires have better wet traction than even All Season's.

If you plan to north anywhere it gets below 40deg f or snow you'll need All Season's and they'll wear twice as long.

X drive only necessary for snow, etc., but not even necessary if you put winter tires on rear wheel drive car.
Appreciate 0