XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-27-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
dimitris33
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Off-road abilities?

I havent seen any thread discussing the offroad abilities of our car on different terrains.

The idea came to me on Friday when I was at the Petrol station. One guy was there with an sdrive 1.8i (same as mine) and I asked him about the performance, consumption etc.. He had 5,500km (automatic box) and he wasnt happy about the consumption. His consumption was at 10.9lt/100 urban circle.

He previously owned an X5 as he told me. I asked for off road abilities and he replied "dont be afraid of it, it may not be an xdrive but it can take you anywhere! I've put it on a beach sand terain and I wasnt stuck! It performs almost like my previous X5!". I dont know if I have to believe him or not...

I am therefore very curious to know what are the off road boundaries on different terrains of our car, either Xdrive or Sdrive. I'm most curious on how it can handle on the beaches with 225/17 rear wheel drive...

So, what if anyone of us taking some photos when driving off road at their day off or vacations thus to help each other know how far can we go off roading.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
Artemiy
Rep
Drives: n/a

I don't have an X1 yet, but so far I have only heard good things about it off the road. Sure, you're limited by the the kind of tires you have, but the traction control gets the job done perfectly. I read that unlike many systems, BMW sends and adjusts power to all four wheels immediately and you won't have a situation when the wheel without traction gets all the power and vice versa, plus the gearbox and differential are fine with lots of wheel spin, unlike double-clutch systems. So it's going to go anywhere the ground clearance and the front overhang will allow.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

@ dimitris33 "On the beaches". What do you mean? Is offroad on the beaches for you? Is it allowed to drive your car on a beach??? Offroad for me is at a small path in the forest...
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitris33 View Post
I havent seen any thread discussing the offroad abilities of our car on different terrains.

The idea came to me on Friday when I was at the Petrol station. One guy was there with an sdrive 1.8i (same as mine) and I asked him about the performance, consumption etc.. He had 5,500km (automatic box) and he wasnt happy about the consumption. His consumption was at 10.9lt/100 urban circle.

He previously owned an X5 as he told me. I asked for off road abilities and he replied "dont be afraid of it, it may not be an xdrive but it can take you anywhere! I've put it on a beach sand terain and I wasnt stuck! It performs almost like my previous X5!". I dont know if I have to believe him or not...

I am therefore very curious to know what are the off road boundaries on different terrains of our car, either Xdrive or Sdrive. I'm most curious on how it can handle on the beaches with 225/17 rear wheel drive...

So, what if anyone of us taking some photos when driving off road at their day off or vacations thus to help each other know how far can we go off roading.
He should be happy - BMW's official figure is 11.5l / 100km urban.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
Finnero
Registered
Finland
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive 1.8D

I have my own X1 for one week only (nice Christmas gift to myself), also have plenty of driving experience of different BMWs as a renting cars in Germany and on the German roads and in the German forests. So here I have some words to share regarding the off-road abilities.

x5 which I drove last March went above and beyond. No comments and nothing to add. It just goes along the road and with no any road at all. Look at the photos below

I have took this picture before entering to the forest
Name:  1DSCN9983.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  113.7 KB

The next one was taken at the end of this forest trip
Name:  1DSCN0009.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  124.5 KB

Nothing to complain about beside of some euros charged by the renting company for cleaning the car.

X1 which I own:
sDrive 1.8D, Manual
Tires: 225/50-17 Nokia 7 XL RFT

I don't like how it goes on the heavy snowy roads. Especially on these days when we have "tons" of snow in Finland and the roads are not very clean.
When you are about to take the acceleration lane before entering the highways, you have to run the car on the first gear and 3500 RPM to speed it up, otherwise the engine stalls (lucky it has stop-and-go and you only need to push the clutch to start it over).
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitris33 View Post

First of all gas mileage depends above all on driving style. I could get you 25/100 by revving every gear all the way up to red zone!!

10L/100 in city, stop & go driving is not shocking on a 2L gas engine frankly.

As for off-road abilities (if we are going beyond the countryside dirt road), what this guy told you is silly. 2WD will never match 4WD.
As soon as the going gets tough, one can notice the difference right away !
      12-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
Finnero
Registered
Finland
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive 1.8D

By the way, I made 400km for the first week in such winter conditions. Fuel consumption is 7,3L with average speed 43km/h
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 01:49 AM   #8
dimitris33
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

@ Tompak: I consider offroad anything off bitumen. Road in the forest is offroad and driving on dunes is offroad too. It is not allowed to drive on beaches but to reach some beaches you need to drive some sandy roads next to the beaches in some places. For instance see the photos below, bmw 116i its right next to the beach paths and the other one on the kite's background is a 4wd car..

@ gatekeeper: I agree that 2WD will never match 4WD but would really like to see what the X1 RWD is able to do! Its not for serious off roading I know, but comparable with my previous 116i it should be more able when driving off road paths.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 02:32 AM   #9
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep

This looks much better then my -16C...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 03:50 AM   #10
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompak23d View Post
This looks much better then my -16C...
Come on Tompak, stop whining and grab a shovel will ya ?

12-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #11
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep

I dont need a shovel, I have an Xdrive
Appreciate 0