Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

05-16-2021, 12:03 PM   #1
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 Xdrive

Timing chain: to replace or not??

I have an 2013 X1, 67kms, runs great so far... Just became aware of the potential timing chain issues with this model year... not sure what to do. Should I have it changed proactively or just wait some more? checking through the oil filler cap, there is a few mm play up and down in the chain already...

thoughts and opinions welcomed!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 03:37 PM   #2
05X3lover
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 Dark Gray X1 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan0880 View Post
I have an 2013 X1, 67kms, runs great so far... Just became aware of the potential timing chain issues with this model year... not sure what to do. Should I have it changed proactively or just wait some more? checking through the oil filler cap, there is a few mm play up and down in the chain already...

I would have a competent independent BMW shop look at it. In fact we have our '15 model checked with each oil change at the shop we use. While they can't guarantee it won't break they should be able to tell you how it's looking and sounding. Replacing the chain is an expensive proposition I wouldn't do myself unless I was pretty certain it had to be done. This issue btw is way overdone, only a small percentage of vehicles will have the chain break. Though of course you want to monitor it..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 08:10 PM   #3
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05X3lover View Post
I would have a competent independent BMW shop look at it. In fact we have our '15 model checked with each oil change at the shop we use. While they can't guarantee it won't break they should be able to tell you how it's looking and sounding. Replacing the chain is an expensive proposition I wouldn't do myself unless I was pretty certain it had to be done. This issue btw is way overdone, only a small percentage of vehicles will have the chain break. Though of course you want to monitor it..
thanks for the reply..

If you're 02/15 model year, you should be ok anyway. I'm in the red zone for this as mine was manufactured late 2012...

"This issue btw is way overdone, only a small percentage of vehicles will have the chain break. Though of course you want to monitor it.."

This is what I'm trying to get a feel for, if it's one of those internet things that get's blown out of proportion, if it was really that bad, you'd think BMW would do a full recall....
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 08:22 AM   #4
05X3lover
Private
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the reply..

If you're 02/15 model year, you should be ok anyway. I'm in the red zone for this as mine was manufactured late 2012...

"This issue btw is way overdone, only a small percentage of vehicles will have the chain break. Though of course you want to monitor it.."

This is what I'm trying to get a feel for, if it's one of those internet things that get's blown out of proportion, if it was really that bad, you'd think BMW would do a full recall....
I think the timing chain issue goes later than that, because our shop - which I consider the best BMW shop in our area - does check it with every oil change.

But regardless, the best way to 'get a feel' for this issue is to talk to some good shop mechanics and have them look at your vehicle. I've spoken to several that said that while they were aware of the issue, they hadn't ever personally seen a broken one. OTOH all you need to do is read 3 or 4 internet posts about broken chains/guides and it's easy to think it's a huge issue - which it isn't. That said of course, BMW should've stepped up to the plate and fixed the ones that broke, imo. I admit I'd be furious if ours failed.

Btw I've read not using the stop/start feature saves a lot of wear on the chain, as well as not driving like a maniac. For us, we never use the stop/start feature anyway, because I've always figured 'well duh, obviously it increases wear on the drivetrain'. Not just in BMWs but in any vehicle that has the feature, imo.

Good luck, get your X1 looked at.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 06:21 PM   #5
AK_Wes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X28i

Quote:
thanks for the reply..

I haven't personally had it happen to my X1, but it is a known issue that BMW is fighting hard to not perform a recall regarding. There is a class action lawsuit where benefits are being offered if this occurs and you can file a claim.

Here is the site for the class action settlement: https://timingchainmodulesettlement....d=0?portalid=0

Here is a site giving more detail regarding the issue: https://rightfootdown.com/automotive...at%20the,Funny

Hopefully you received a letter in the mail earlier this year or late last year from the law firm filing the lawsuit.

I am on the fence if I should keep my BMW X1 with ~50k miles on it or sell it simply because of this issue. This is my first BMW and this problem is making me hesitant on if I would buy another. I honestly love driving my BMW X1 and luckily it hasn't had any major issues yet.... Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 10:40 PM   #6
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Wes View Post
I haven't personally had it happen to my X1, but it is a known issue that BMW is fighting hard to not perform a recall regarding. There is a class action lawsuit where benefits are being offered if this occurs and you can file a claim.

Here is the site for the class action settlement: https://timingchainmodulesettlement....d=0?portalid=0

Here is a site giving more detail regarding the issue: https://rightfootdown.com/automotive...at%20the,Funny

Hopefully you received a letter in the mail earlier this year or late last year from the law firm filing the lawsuit.

I am on the fence if I should keep my BMW X1 with ~50k miles on it or sell it simply because of this issue. This is my first BMW and this problem is making me hesitant on if I would buy another. I honestly love driving my BMW X1 and luckily it hasn't had any major issues yet.... Just my 2 cents.
I can't do that because I'm in Canada. No love for us from BMW up here. But apparently, word has it that there will be news this coming June from BMW whether there will be a potential recall or not (which could be world wide)....so I'm definitely holding out until then. If no recall. I'll be in the same boat...not sure what I'll do... I love my car, and especially this model year for it's more raw driving experience.... it's paid off, so I might just see if I can work something out with my warranty company and my mechanic and take it in the budd and do that change anyway... we'll see. I'll keep everyone updated.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #7
aloyouis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x28 MSport

Quote:

I would like to do this. I just bought a used 2013 and was not aware of this potential issue. What am I looking for under the cap?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:49 AM   #8
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloyouis View Post
I would like to do this. I just bought a used 2013 and was not aware of this potential issue. What am I looking for under the cap?

Thanks.
Just to update everyone on the situation:

I called a few BMW dealers in the region regarding this and elite BMW Ottawa said to wait until June as there might be some news on whether a recall will happen or not, if it doesn't, then we're $hit out of luck. I also realized there is a recall for the driver side airbag so I have to bring it in anyway...

Furthermore, I talked to my mechanic about it, his shop specializes in european cars like BMW and Porsche, VW, Audi etc. He said for me personally that there doesn't seem to be any issue at present (I'm @ 67K-kms) and he said usually it's an issue of abuse or not doing proper oil changes that leads to the timing chain failure. So I shouldn't worry that much about it. But having said that, he did mention that the N20 engine is the worst engine BMW ever made. lol.

As far as how to check if things are ok, listen for a clatter and whining noise when the engine is running, that's the loose timing chain and it should be fixed right away if that's the case. You can youtube search video's to know what to listen for. General consensus seems to be that it's less likely to happen with more frequent oil changes and not using the stop start function, BUUUUUTTTTT there have been cases where even then, people have still ran into issues.

Personally, I'm going to sit on it for a while, as I'm fairly low km's and I just finished changing coils and some other $hit so in no rush to spend anymore money but I most likely will have it done before 100km's, whether BMW pays or not, I'm budgeting for it already.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #9
aloyouis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I called a few BMW dealers in the region regarding this and elite BMW Ottawa said to wait until June as there might be some news on whether a recall will happen or not, if it doesn't, then we're $hit out of luck. I also realized there is a recall for the driver side airbag so I have to bring it in anyway...

Furthermore, I talked to my mechanic about it, his shop specializes in european cars like BMW and Porsche, VW, Audi etc. He said for me personally that there doesn't seem to be any issue at present (I'm @ 67K-kms) and he said usually it's an issue of abuse or not doing proper oil changes that leads to the timing chain failure. So I shouldn't worry that much about it. But having said that, he did mention that the N20 engine is the worst engine BMW ever made. lol.

As far as how to check if things are ok, listen for a clatter and whining noise when the engine is running, that's the loose timing chain and it should be fixed right away if that's the case. You can youtube search video's to know what to listen for. General consensus seems to be that it's less likely to happen with more frequent oil changes and not using the stop start function, BUUUUUTTTTT there have been cases where even then, people have still ran into issues.

Personally, I'm going to sit on it for a while, as I'm fairly low km's and I just finished changing coils and some other $hit so in no rush to spend anymore money but I most likely will have it done before 100km's, whether BMW pays or not, I'm budgeting for it already.
Thank you for the fast response and information! Hoping there is a June recall!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:34 PM   #10
GTA_G20
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
1997 Boxster  [0.00]
2006 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloyouis View Post
Quote:

Thank you for the fast response and information! Hoping there is a June recall!
I had mine done recently. Best advice I can lend is. Open the oil filler cap. With a flatbread screwdriver attempt to move chain from either side. Try to lift up the chain from beneath it. There should be little to no play.

Before having my chain done last month I had ALOT of slop and car drove fine. I now have no movement in my chain and car still performs the same but I can drive it without worrying about it exploding. Although there's always another point of possible failure
      05-25-2021, 09:06 PM   #11
aloyouis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_G20 View Post
I had mine done recently. Best advice I can lend is. Open the oil filler cap. With a flatbread screwdriver attempt to move chain from either side. Try to lift up the chain from beneath it. There should be little to no play.

Before having my chain done last month I had ALOT of slop and car drove fine. I now have no movement in my chain and car still performs the same but I can drive it without worrying about it exploding. Although there's always another point of possible failure
I did just as you indicated above and it seems tight. No movement up or down. 79k miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 01:59 PM   #12
AK_Wes
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I am curious, what did your mechanic or the dealership charge to replace the timing chain? Did you replace the guides in addition to the chain during the service?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 01:02 PM   #13
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

The N20 was a staple global engine for BMW. It's used in many BMW models during it's lifecycle. I've researched this issue when years ago when I got my X1. Timing chain guide destruction is statistically very small. Speaking to my local BMW dealership tech lead, he said they have not seen any and advised regular oil changes + don't use ASS. In the end I decided to not lose sleep over it.

Coming from a line of Inline-6 BMW engines, I still can't fall in love with this turbo-4. Sounds horrible during cold start-up. Otherwise the e84 platform is great to shoot around town. Handles admirably for a CUV.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 05:34 PM   #14
05X3lover
Private
Rep

Quote:

This sounds like good news to me. I say enjoy your vehicle, and don't stress on things that could happen. Keep up your maintenance, and have the mechanics stay on top of it which they'll do anyway if they're a good shop - which I'm sure they are.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 10:26 PM   #15
GTA_G20
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
1997 Boxster  [0.00]
2006 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I am curious, what did your mechanic or the dealership charge to replace the timing chain? Did you replace the guides in addition to the chain during the service?

Thanks!
I am in Canada. Toronto area. I bought the car used at what I feel is a low price knowing it needed a timing chain to be done. The car was running and driving and I hadn't experienced a timing chain failure. I bought it and parked it until the job was done.

I had the timing chain and tensioner. Timing chain rail/guides. Oil pump chain, guides and tensioner. Also did the spark plugs. Had a walnut blasting/carbon cleaning on the intake valves.

All said and done I paid $2150 Canadian including a a front strut mount that was worn.

This price was parts and labour
      06-15-2021, 09:18 AM   #16
Kriston
The Ultimate Driving Machine
Canada
Rep
Drives: Like Donkey Kong on Roids

Which shop did the work for you?

Quote:
I am in Canada. Toronto area. I bought the car used at what I feel is a low price knowing it needed a timing chain to be done. The car was running and driving and I hadn't experienced a timing chain failure. I bought it and parked it until the job was done.

I had the timing chain and tensioner. Timing chain rail/guides. Oil pump chain, guides and tensioner. Also did the spark plugs. Had a walnut blasting/carbon cleaning on the intake valves.

All said and done I paid $2150 Canadian including a a front strut mount that was worn.

Appreciate 1
GTA_G2019.00
      06-15-2021, 09:41 AM   #17
GTA_G20
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
1997 Boxster  [0.00]
2006 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriston View Post
Which shop did the work for you?

Quote:

Technic motors in thornhill. Langstaff rd east
      06-15-2021, 04:34 PM   #18
AK_Wes
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Honestly, that's not a bad price for the amount of labor it looks like there is involved. This is similar to the price of a timing belt/water pump replacement on other vehicles.

They should honestly just put out a TSB stating the chain/guides should be replaced at 90k or 9 years... Maybe it's out there and I just haven't seen it.

This makes me feel more comfortable about keeping my X1 and maybe I will get bold enough to attempt replacing the chain/guides myself at some point in the future. If I do, I'll try to post up a guide.

Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 06:46 AM   #19
Portly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive28i, M2

This is a pretty good place to start regarding what's involved as a DIYer.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-repl...part-1-removal

It's.... involved. I plan to address mine in the not-too-distant future, just so I don't have to worry about it.

_Jeff

Quote:
...maybe I will get bold enough to attempt replacing the chain/guides myself at some point in the future. If I do, I'll try to post up a guide.

Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 1
AK_Wes3.00
      06-22-2021, 12:33 AM   #20
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

As a guy who experienced an engine replacement because of this at 80,000km, I will do it.
see my thread Here
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:10 PM   #21
BimmerTKO
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 2012

Wow. This is crazy. I have a 2012 X1 bought used from the BMW dealership here in Toronto in 2018. It had 82k on it, now has 111k. I’m hearing some whining / scraping sound when the car downshifts at low speed (40km/h or less) especially on cold start. I love the car. Have pampered it since buying used. Can’t believe a full engine replacement was required and that BMW didn’t own up to the engineering fault of the chain and components swallowed up in the engine. Needless to say, this thread has me super concerned. Any idea whether BMW in Canada has made the recall decision as of June?

I do notice it burning oil now, only while accelerating on the highway, sweating from the gasket cover. It’s plastic.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 10:47 AM   #22
MrR
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw x1 28i

I just replaced the timing chain in my 2015 x1 at 208k km. It was manufactured in mid 2014 so it didn't have the updated chain guides. $4300 later it turned out to be a good call because the plastic guide had cracked where two plastic parts joined up.

I thought about selling my car and getting something different, but with the used/new car market like it is, it was cheaper for me to fix it than get into a different vehicle with similar capabilities.

In the 3.5 years I've owned it I've replaced all the fluids, trans pan/filter, timing chain/oil pump chain assembly, thermostat, rotors and pads, thrust arm on passenger side (bushing leaking), valve cover, oil filter housing gaskets, and oil level sensor.

Hopefully the next few years will be less expensive. As much as I enjoy driving my car, my next vehicle won't be a BMW.
Appreciate 1
AK_Wes3.00