Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

09-14-2021, 09:43 PM   #1
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 Xdrive

ECO MODE + CRUISE questions....

I do a lot of highway driving to and from ski hills and mountain biking spots so I end up using cruise+eco mode to zone out and make the trips less of a hassle and saves on gas. The thing is, many of these highways are sort of "mountainous", in that they might have fairly steep and steady grades in certain sections. I remember reading somewhere that the "ECO" mode in this particular model had some negative issue on the transmission (again, can't remember exactly what) but I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on how best to use "ECO" mode AND/OR cruise control..... I'm assuming using cruise a lot on roads with constant elevation change will burn through brake pads quicker? or does the system use engine breaking to regulate speed? and What was the issue with ECO mode?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 07:50 AM   #2
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

I toured Aspen over the continental divide with my 14 X1 s28i, and didn't like to use cruise.

I already know the car will brake to keep speed from rising which is wasteful, so I go slower, and downshift into approx 4th.

I also, hate Eco-Pro since I know from my scangauge that it runs temps higher from 215 deg f to 236 deg f.

Computer also runs car cooler as soon as you apply gas or change speed.

In other words, any steady cruise will run temps higher, theory being that not a lot of waste heat in the engine bay, so can make run hotter for efficiency.

Coming out of Denver up to Aspen and down towards Las Alamos, I got 34mpg max on a full tank use. The best ever and hwy EPA.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 01:12 PM   #3
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

ECO Mode is awful. I think BMW had to include to help CAFE standards and to please greenies
Appreciate 0