XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

The X1 35i is a phenomenal car

Today was my first full day with the X1, and I put 500 miles on it today. I put it through a long highway trip across the state, and then went up to Oregania, Ohio and some of the motorcycle routes down in northern Kentucky to put it through some intense sweepers, switchbacks, on and of camber turns, and just all around fantastic driving roads.

This is a phenomenal car. I don't car if it's an SUV or a wagon or a hatch or what it is - the bottom line is that it is an absolute, unmitigated blast to drive. For reference, I've extensively driven an Audi Q5 and Infiniti EX35 over the last year, and they simply don't even compare. The Q5 is a bit more refined on the inside (mostly due to the fact that BMW uses hard plastic on the bottom parts of the X1's door), but in terms of driving dynamics it's a knock out win for the X1.

Perhaps it's because I have the M Sport package with the tighter suspension and 19 inch M wheels with Pirelli P-zeros, but the grip is just stupid good. And the torque hits hard and low, powering it out of corners. Sure, there's some understeer when you really push it but it's really hard to believe that you're dragging a wagon body behind you. It seriously feels like a 335, just slightly higher.

I was nervous about the 6 speed transmission at first, but once you drive it you realize that the torque of the 6 cylinder more than makes up for the lack of an 8 speed.

Everything about driving it is just right on for me, from the feeling of the M Sport steering wheel to the great exhaust sound and turbo spooling.

With eco pro on, I got 27.2 mpg on the highway to top it off. So thrilled with this car.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 12-28-2012 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i M version 2013

Congratulations Looks good!!!

No paddle shifters I see....
I put a complaint into BMW for the ordering fiasco with the M steering wheel
Ill know something in a few days as per the rep of BMW...

Hey can you do me a favor? Can you run your car for at least 15 min and then park with motor running. Does your rpm run at about 6-700 rpm and do you hear a vibration/loud sorta noise lower passenger floor area? Mine is in the shop I type due to this issue and was curious if any other new 35i had this as well.

Again Con grad's!

Last edited by BEAMERBOI; 08-29-2012 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i M version 2013

Could you educate me on this (JB4 and downpipe, which I'm ordering tomorrow. I expect 0-60's to be in the mid-upper 4's - essentially turning this car into a X1 M.)

More or less what is it? sorry Im a dumb ass at this stuff

PS it drives like a dream right? I love mine!
      08-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
Mr Mech
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 x35i Alpine/Black

27mpg on the highway is pretty impressive in a SUV format, my 335 doesn't get that. Must be something to that EcoPro...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:41 AM   #5
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

First off congrats. Second off, nice car, I'll have my white 28i M-Sport in Oct..

Keep us posted on the downpipe mod. I've been speaking with Terry about it, he said his should fit. Make sure you get the DPFix, otherwise it will throw error codes.

If you are able to have a write up, even better. I plan on doing the Downpipe and the Piggy Back. I noticed that aEF have an airbox setup too, at least for the N20 motor. Should be very interesting....

Can you comment on how stiff it is? Do you plan on lowering the car more too?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

edit

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAMERBOI View Post
Could you educate me on this (JB4 and downpipe, which I'm ordering tomorrow. I expect 0-60's to be in the mid-upper 4's - essentially turning this car into a X1 M.)

More or less what is it? sorry Im a dumb ass at this stuff

PS it drives like a dream right? I love mine!
I was parked yesterday a bunch of times with the motor running and definitely didn't have a low or rough idle at all. No weird noises. My NAV did lock up once, and I needed to reboot it by holding down the volume button for 30 seconds.
edit

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Congrats! She's a beauty!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Yeah, at first Terry was saying mine shouldn't fit, but after I sent him pics of the engine bay he said it appeared like the intake kit and chargepipe WILL fit, and logically the downpipe should as well (but he did not guarantee it). The engine bay is pretty much identical to the N55 335i so....who knows. I'll be having a shop do the work; I'm going to call around and get some quotes.

I'm a bit scared about the dealer noticing the downpipe and voiding my warranty, and since it's a pain in the ass to get remove the downpipe I can't do it every time I go in for service......

I think it really depends on your dealer and service advisor(s).

I too was thinking the DP might be a bit of a gamble; when the aFe produces nearly the same amount of power (according to TMS F30).

I doubt that your dealer won't offer you oil changes because they notice a different down pipe.

Also wasn't complaining about the stiff suspension (I'm used to Gruppe N suspension in M3s); just wondering how it was. Cheers!
Appreciate 0