XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-25-2015, 12:30 PM   #23
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

6'2" and a rear facing kid seat fits fine in the middle, note that it's not LATCH compliant, you have to use the center belt. If you need a bigger car, you might also need a salad.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 10:13 PM   #24
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgesnob View Post
I'm looking at the Tiguan, Ford Territory, X1, Mazda CX5, 2 series active tourer.

reliability and room for 2 growing kids.
I would say find something else. I have Cybex Anton 2 car seat which is about smallest rear facing car seat and I can't fit in passenger seat with it in the car. For the price there are cars that would fit a family. I would recommend something other than what you have on your list.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 10:15 PM   #25
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
6'2" and a rear facing kid seat fits fine in the middle, note that it's not LATCH compliant, you have to use the center belt. If you need a bigger car, you might also need a salad.
Or care about your child's safety. I don't think the center seat install is recommended by BMW. The latch seems a lot more secure than a belt.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #26
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Screw my kid. Ha, it's an approved location and countless studies show that the belt is as safe or safer than LATCH.

The middle is always safer than the sides, provided there's a secure mounting point.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 10:15 PM   #27
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Screw my kid. Ha, it's an approved location and countless studies show that the belt is as safe or safer than LATCH.

The middle is always safer than the sides, provided there's a secure mounting point.
I doubt that is true. Anyway the Cybex Anton comes with a load leg that you couldn't use in the center position. It was rated as the best in crash performance by Consumer Reports. And your statement about the bigger car and salad was stupid.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 10:56 PM   #28
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

I can do stupid all day. Can you do civil?

There's a lot of discussion about the X1 being small inside. My observation is that for a relatively small car with a center tunnel, it's actually reasonably accommodating. End of story.

I'm not concerned about the last sigma of car seat safety. Kid's in a safe car, in the safest position and driven in a moderately safe fashion. That's more than most kids and certainly more than I experienced or anyone did even a few years ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 04:01 AM   #29
badgesnob
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 xDrive 20i

Garage List
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Thanks everyone for your advice.

I ended up getting an X3. I had a good look at the X1, and didn't find the boot space to be too bad. I think it would have sufficed us.

My kids use boosters (front facing), thank god that we're over the rear facing/bulkier baby seats.

Am happy with the X3, but now have respect for the X1.

Regards,
Appreciate 0