Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
RocGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1

Bike rack recommendations?

Any recommendations for bike racks? I'm thinking of some of the inexpensive ones that attach with straps and such? I know they aren't the best. But I ride a bike, where I need to drive my bike first, very rarely. I do not want to put a real bike rack on from the dealer...

Any thoughts? Anyone done this? Links or brands appreciated. Or am I stupid for wanting to put a cheap rack on my X1??

Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
RocGuy
Private
United_States
Rep

I was specifically looking at this on Amazon, or something like it. But it says it won't fit the X1. I'm not sure why. But for the price it might be worth buying to try it?

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-C...8835418&sr=1-8
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 04:29 AM   #3
Booster
Pave The Rainforest
Rep
Drives: Wagon

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I run Yakima rail grabs with 48" bars... Highroller attachments for my 29er's

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
forteatwo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 S-Drive

I pondered putting a hitch on my car and going that route but in the end purchased a Yakima King Jo 2 hatch mount bike rack and it works very well.

It took me a little while to figure out how to mount it. I found it helpful to watch a youtube video rather than follow the instructions which tend to be too generic.

Once you have the proper angle set for the rack, you can attach it in minutes. The advantages are that it is inexpensive, is out of the airstream so it does not increase wind noise or reduce gas mileage, is quick to mount and does not damage your car surface.

Perhaps the only drawbacks to this system are that the view out is somewhat obscured by your bikes...not a big deal and the mounting pad obscures part of your license plate.

One other thing, you can still open the hatch with the bikes mounted but it is very difficult because of the added weight so there is some inconvenience in loading stuff after the bikes are mounted. You pretty much need to load the bikes last.

The whole set-up seems very stable at freeway speeds and I have had no issues with driving as usual.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #5
Redsoxx1918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I just fold my seats down and throw my bike in the back. It fits with or without taking off the front tire. When I need to carry more than one bike I use a Yakima KingJoe Pro 2. Works great.

Are you carrying more than one bike?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
RocGuy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxx1918 View Post
I just fold my seats down and throw my bike in the back. It fits with or without taking off the front tire. When I need to carry more than one bike I use a Yakima KingJoe Pro 2. Works great.

Mostly I am only carrying one bike. I should have clarified. Just that sometimes I need to carry 2, and both won't fit in the back. And sometimes I just have stuff in the back that makes shoving a bike in there not ideal.

I'm still mostly looking at the ones similar to the link I put up above, by Allen Sports. According to Amazon they will not fit the X1, but according to the Allen Sports site they do have a couple of models that will fit. I just have to pick one. They seem to be less than half the price of the Yakima ones you guys have mentioned. Not sure if that's a good thing or not! But the price, for the amount I will use it, looks better to me...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
Redsoxx1918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxx1918 View Post

Mostly I am only carrying one bike. I should have clarified. Just that sometimes I need to carry 2, and both won't fit in the back. And sometimes I just have stuff in the back that makes shoving a bike in there not ideal.

I'm still mostly looking at the ones similar to the link I put up above, by Allen Sports. According to Amazon they will not fit the X1, but according to the Allen Sports site they do have a couple of models that will fit. I just have to pick one. They seem to be less than half the price of the Yakima ones you guys have mentioned. Not sure if that's a good thing or not! But the price, for the amount I will use it, looks better to me...
The ones my by Allen are pretty cheap. I only paid about $160 for the Yakima King Joe Pro 2. Don't skimp out too much. The Yakima is very sturdy and won't damage your vehicle. I carried two heavy bikes, 500 miles round trip for camping and had zero issues. You get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0