XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-06-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
investor27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Servotronic. Should I get that option?

I love the steering feel in my 2009 535i xDrive, and I believe that all 2009 BMW came with Servotronic with the 535 having hydraulic steering.

I just ordered an X1 for my wife, and I did not choose Servotronic mainly because I thought I had read in CarandDrive and RoadandTrack magazines that one should skip the Servotronic option due to the artificial steering feel. But now I'm not sure if I had mistaken Servotronic for Active Steering or not. I definitely want hydraulic steering over the electric steering option.

On the BMW's "build your own car" website, Servotronic is not standard on the N20 (4-cylinder engine), but it is listed as "standard" on the N55 (6-cylinder turbo engine), which also lists the car as having an electric steering instead of a hydraulic one.

So I would like to ask you guys if you know:

1) Whether getting the Servotronic option will automatically change the hydraulic steering assist to an electric one?
2) Does Servotronic ruin (numb) the steering feel of the car?
3) Do most people order their BMW with the Servotronic option?

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate your help.

Last edited by investor27; 07-06-2012 at 04:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28

Quote:
Originally Posted by investor27
I love the steering feel in my 2009 535i xDrive, and I believe that all 2009 BMW came with Servotronic with the 535 having hydraulic steering.

I just ordered an X1 for my wife, and I did not choose Servotronic mainly because I thought I had read in CarandDrive and RoadandTrack magazines that one should skip the Servotronic option due to the artificial steering feel. But now I'm not sure if I had mistaken Servotronic for Active Steering or not. I definitely want hydraulic steering over the electric steering option.

On the BMW's "build your own car" website, Servotronic is not standard on the N20 (4-cylinder engine), but it is listed as "standard" on the N55 (6-cylinder turbo engine), which also lists the car as having an electric steering instead of a hydraulic one.

So I would like to ask you guys if you know:

1) Whether getting the Servotronic option will automatically change the hydraulic steering assist to an electric one?
2) Does Servotronic ruin (numb) the steering feel of the car?
3) Do most people order their BMW with the Servotronic option?

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate your help.
My wife complaint about the weight of the steering. Especially at low speed, of course being a guy has no problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
investor27
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the reply, Ohnoyuji. The car is my wife's daily driver. However, her office is just 2 km away, so she basically will be navigating in and out of our garage and into her personal parking space at work.

I chose the X1 for her mainly for the traditional hydraulic power steering. I don't want electric power steering. I've read quite a few people having problems with their Servotronic malfunctioning on them just by doing a quick search on the web.

Have long have you had yours without the Servotronic option? Do you think your wife will get use to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoyuji View Post
My wife complaint about the weight of the steering. Especially at low speed, of course being a guy has no problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

Get it, you will regret it if you don't and wont even notice it if you do
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

all steering options on the 2013 X1s are electronic now, servotronic is just an assist option, makes it easier to turn when driving at slow speeds and stiffer at high speeds.

From what I have read, I would go for it, women especially complain about the steering at slow speeds when you don't have it, saying its too heavy, servotronic will fix that...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28

It's more than a year she had the car. I can't help out on the weight of the steering but to tell her go to physiotherapy to strengthen her wrist.....
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
investor27
Private First Class
Rep

Lol. I just added Servotronic after reading all of the suggestions, and especially after reading your comment below.

Very funny. Thanks, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoyuji View Post
It's more than a year she had the car. I can't help out on the weight of the steering but to tell her go to physiotherapy to strengthen her wrist.....
One more thing. Did your X1 come with privacy glass, or is that something that we have to get done by an independent window tinting shop after delivery?

Last edited by investor27; 07-06-2012 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0