XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

Quite disappointed with X1's AC - lack of rear air vents

Summer sun here can be scorchingly painful and car's air conditioning seems quite weak and front air vents are incapable of cooling the rear passenger area at all. It has to be set to max constantly for the rear passengers to feel that ac is on apart from this being annoyingly loud, for someone like myself who easily gets cold, this constant max ac can be freezing cold in the front seat. There are 2 air vents underneath front seats for rear passengers but that's absolutely inadequate for such heat. At one point I folded the rear seats and sat at the back with full-on ac under the sun (comparatively not as hot).. 10 mins on and nothing seems to have cooled down at all I could only hear the noise of the max'ed out ac..

Has anyone experienced this? Is there any solution other than opening windows ? Can such thing be retro fitted? Cheers..

jaeezzy...

Last edited by jaeezzy; 02-02-2015 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy
Summer sun here can be scorchingly painful and car's air conditioning seems quite weak and front air vents are incapable of cooling the rear passenger area at all. It has to be set to max constantly for the rear passengers to feel that ac is on apart from this being annoyingly loud, for someone like myself who easily gets cold, this constant max ac can be freezing cold in the front seat. There are 2 air vents underneath front seats for rear passengers but that's absolutely inadequate for such heat. At one point I folded the rear seats and sat at the back with full-on ac under the sun (comparatively not as hot).. 10 mins on and nothing seems to have cooled down at all I could only hear the noise of the max'ed out ac..

Has anyone experienced this? Is there any solution other than opening windows ? Can such thing be retro fitted? Cheers..
Tinted the windows the first week and never noticed a problem, up to about 42c. We do keep the sunroof shade closed most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 10:48 PM   #3
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

I have done 35% legal tinting throughout as well. During such heat I do keep the moon roof shade closed as well . I think for such premium brand and the price it should have the rear air vents as well instead of that 12v power socket. Since I'm always in the front seat didn't realise this until lately..

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

It gets very hot here in Fla. I had the windows tinted before I took delivery and always keep the shade closed. My two Grandsons have never complained about being hot in the back seat.
      02-03-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
X135iM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i Msport

I would say best option is to slightly close outer front vents, fully open 2 centre vents and direct them towards the rear. Probably would prove good balance for airflow..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

The car is tiny inside. HVAC is sufficient for the interiors size. Although the fan is too noisy. I've had cars with rear outlets and they've always been pointless. More mental affect than actual distribution of air. I don't miss them here.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #7
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

AC vents

Yes the lack of rear vents is frustrating for rear occupants but make certain the vents under the front seats are not blocked by personal items or floor mats.
Appreciate 0