Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-09-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
frayedsheet
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jeep GC Overland

X1... Farm Car?

I thought the X1 could do with a trip around the farm, and she did surprisingly well on the super slippery mud and grass. If it werent for that front spoiler it would do very well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
andret
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT ZCP

Nice to see it can actually go off the bitumen!

hey what do you think of the sound of the engine? I think the power is great, but I don't like the harsh raspy metallic noise when accelerating. Ur thoughts?

2011 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedsheet View Post
I thought the X1 could do with a trip around the farm, and she did surprisingly well on the super slippery mud and grass. If it werent for that front spoiler it would do very well.
Front spoiler really makes things hard! But the car is very good off the road. In winter I climbed a hill covered in mud even I still can't believe how I "or the car" did that. Worst part is that we got stuck at the top and struggled 15 minutes to turn the car in order not to go down in reverse

P.S. : Hill Descent Control also works in reverse, keeps the car moving at 2-3 km/h
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 02:21 AM   #4
frayedsheet
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andret View Post
Nice to see it can actually go off the bitumen!

hey what do you think of the sound of the engine? I think the power is great, but I don't like the harsh raspy metallic noise when accelerating. Ur thoughts?
I think it sounds neither good or bad... its just a noise, which, in a sence is bad. Least its not as bad as one of the worst engine noises that comes to mind; the first of the Mercedes Kompressor models - they just sounded so wrong.

The current "coffee grinder" soundtrack certainly gives BMW something to improve on for an update/new model, etc.

Performance is great, handling is even better, yet ride compliance is still pretty good (and light years ahead of a loaner X3 I had).

Aside from improvements to the engine note I think the car could do with an extra gear for the highway and a double clutch gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 03:36 AM   #5
yohans
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

Yes, they're pretty good on dirt. I've had mine on lots of dirt roads even up to the snowfields in Victoria. It's good on dirt and slides a bit on mud and snow. Mind you I have the big low profile tires on the 320 - 18in wheels; not the best choice

I have to remind myself often that it doesn't have the ground clearance of regular 4x4's.

Also as I mentioned elsewhere I quite like the sound of the engine when accelerating.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #6
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohans View Post
Yes, they're pretty good on dirt. I've had mine on lots of dirt roads even up to the snowfields in Victoria. It's good on dirt and slides a bit on mud and snow. Mind you I have the big low profile tires on the 320 - 18in wheels; not the best choice

I have to remind myself often that it doesn't have the ground clearance of regular 4x4's.

Also as I mentioned elsewhere I quite like the sound of the engine when accelerating.
Hi Yohans,

Thanks for that. I am quite interested in the performance of the X1 in snow, the one thing I was not able to try out in my test drive. I often go up into the highlands here in winter where snow and ice can be a real problem in a 2x4. I am hoping that putting on a good set of winter tyres coupled with the 4x4 system will work out well.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedsheet View Post
Aside from improvements to the engine note I think the car could do with an extra gear for the highway and a double clutch gearbox.
I was under the impression the auto gearbox on the 23d *is* a double-clutch one.
(But yes, a extra "long" gear for highway would be great for fuel consumption... the engine could handle it well.)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #8
frayedsheet
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
I was under the impression the auto gearbox on the 23d *is* a double-clutch one.
(But yes, a extra "long" gear for highway would be great for fuel consumption... the engine could handle it well.)
Its definitely just a standard torque convertor box. I am sure DCT from the M's will filter through the range soon as it has done with the VW Group fleet.
Appreciate 0