XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

04-27-2016, 09:56 AM   #45
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
apparently, McLaren of Washington got a few press cars for peeps to try out yesterday....

my 570s (for 30mins)

So, thats your hand...
If so, how was it?

Chaperone?
      04-27-2016, 10:34 AM   #46
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

Quote:
apparently, McLaren of Washington got a few press cars for peeps to try out yesterday....

my 570s (for 30mins)

Super Sexy! And all of those nice cars: Aston Martin, Bentley. Well-heeled clientele for sure.
      04-27-2016, 02:02 PM   #47
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
So, thats your hand...
If so, how was it?

Chaperone?
yeah. 30mins with the car and sales advisor. he drove for 5 mins pulling out of the dealership, and ran me through the car systems. we then switched seats and i drove the rest of the "test loop". this was during rush hour, but we were on primarily back roads, with some stretches to punch the throttle.

these were press/test cars from McLaren corporate. Mine was fully loaded, full napa leather, luxury package, full exterior carbon package, carbon ceramics, sport exhaust.

my short 30min impressions (so take with a grain of salt)
exterior: great lines, artful in execution, your eye follows from nose to tail. cool little aero features to channel airflow and enhance downforce. the dyhedral doors were really unique (to me) in person. perfect wheel gap and flush.

interior: the full napa leather was all around, including the headliner. no exposed plastic. some previous reviews noted some fit/finish and rattles, i noted none of those in my brief time in the car. getting into the car was like getting into my track prepped car. definitely butt first THEN swing the legs in. the trim surround was full carbon fiber. so it looked ultra premium, every bit the MSRP. the cabin noise was pretty quiet, we were carrying on a conversation without issue.

the drive:
firm ride in "normal", but really no firmer than my M3 in sport mode. not jarring, but you know you are in a sports car. my model did not come with front axle lift, but they are an option. the car cornered very flat. and turn in felt immediate and precise. power delivery felt the same as my M3. many reviewers noted turbo lag, but i did not. but i also wasn't on the gas like i am at the track. the sound was excellent. not GT3 flat six howl, but you had that great v8 sound and then the whoosh of the turbos. i'd get the sport exhaust for sure in this car.

overall impressions:
i'm not experienced in supercars. this certainly elevates "special"-ness to a different level compared to my M3. it definitely attracts alot of attention.
      04-27-2016, 02:31 PM   #48
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
yeah. 30mins with the car and sales advisor. he drove for 5 mins pulling out of the dealership, and ran me through the car systems. we then switched seats and i drove the rest of the "test loop". this was during rush hour, but we were on primarily back roads, with some stretches to punch the throttle.

these were press/test cars from McLaren corporate. Mine was fully loaded, full napa leather, luxury package, full exterior carbon package, carbon ceramics, sport exhaust.

my short 30min impressions (so take with a grain of salt)
exterior: great lines, artful in execution, your eye follows from nose to tail. cool little aero features to channel airflow and enhance downforce. the dyhedral doors were really unique (to me) in person. perfect wheel gap and flush.

interior: the full napa leather was all around, including the headliner. no exposed plastic. some previous reviews noted some fit/finish and rattles, i noted none of those in my brief time in the car. getting into the car was like getting into my track prepped car. definitely butt first THEN swing the legs in. the trim surround was full carbon fiber. so it looked ultra premium, every bit the MSRP. the cabin noise was pretty quiet, we were carrying on a conversation without issue.

the drive:
firm ride in "normal", but really no firmer than my M3 in sport mode. not jarring, but you know you are in a sports car. my model did not come with front axle lift, but they are an option. the car cornered very flat. and turn in felt immediate and precise. power delivery felt the same as my M3. many reviewers noted turbo lag, but i did not. but i also wasn't on the gas like i am at the track. the sound was excellent. not GT3 flat six howl, but you had that great v8 sound and then the whoosh of the turbos. i'd get the sport exhaust for sure in this car.

overall impressions:
i'm not experienced in supercars. this certainly elevates "special"-ness to a different level compared to my M3. it definitely attracts alot of attention.
Thank you.
Ive read there's more room, snarf, in the 570 than the 650. I dont see much myself but haven't sat in one yet either.
Its getting compared / associated with a 911 turbo as far as performance. I hope it felt really fast.
The 650 is tiny in person so I'm guessing this is kind of a surprise when up close regarding how low and short length.
I like it.
      04-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #49
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I may be in the minority on this but I prefer the simple yet stunning lines on the original 12C Coupe. As for their newer models, 570S > 650S. Having said that, I'd easily pick this 570S over any Porsche (except the 918). The GT3 is really nice but looks way too much like the other thousands of 911's on the streets to feel even remotely as special as a McLaren or the Italians.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #50
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

This car looks so much better than the 650s in person.

Would definitely buy one if I had the cash.
      05-06-2016, 06:44 PM   #51
Savory
Kaskasero
Rep
Drives: You Insane

The 570s I took for a spin was cartoonishly fast. I really don't think it loses much to the 12C in terms of velocity.
2001 E39 M5
Appreciate 0