XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

07-17-2016, 03:55 PM   #45
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Dude were no longer friends.

Fuck DC.
      07-17-2016, 04:05 PM   #46
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh View Post
I mean, it's not like I've never been. Lived (well technically, still do) there for a year in DuPont Circle, the heart of DC. Enjoyed the hell out of it, even during first year of law school and crazy witch of a gf.

Guess it depends on personality. I've never been much of the beach-goer type, so SD was actually quite an adjustment for me. In DC you're surrounded by intelligent minds and well-dressed professionals, in SD you're surrounded by well-spaced and exceptionally large titties.

I guess the driving factors are: I love the school I'm going to, my apartment is seriously badass, friends, some family, and the opportunity to change what I want at my will (whereas in SD there certainly aren't as many opportunities).
For every "well dressed professional," there are 2 low lives. The people aren't DC's strength.
Appreciate 8
      07-17-2016, 04:20 PM   #47
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

San Diego. But I'm biased. If you'd like I can take pictures of the coast line for you. That should seal the deal.

Also I just cruised the 101. From Carlsbad to La Jolla just to pick up a shoe rack. Not like we don't have them in Carlsbad, but did it just for the drive. I never lived in DC, but I'm fairly well traveled. It would take a lot to get me to move from SD at this point.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2016, 04:44 PM   #48
Buddy628
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 Msport, MB GLK250

Take the job fool!! you can afford to fly back-n binge on DC in the spring, when the weather breaks and the sun dress's are out, Then back to San diego and chill for the summer you will not miss those dog days of summer on the East coast, go back in fall catch the change of seasons, eat crab and crab cake's till your about to burst, head back to Cali before the Alberta Clipper makes the east coast a skating rink. You get the best of both coast.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #49
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LRP M3 E92, MR M3 E93

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
SD.
don't do DC.... negative that! imo
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 2
      07-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #50
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh View Post
Guys, I'm extremely torn on this issue and everyone I've spoken to has also been conflicted. Need advice please.

A bit of background, I'm an incoming second year law student in DC, but I'm out in San Diego for an "internship program" (which is more of a "if you got into the program, you got the job"). I have an awesome studio apartment in the heart of DC and I absolutely love DC. Although DC and San Diego have their fair share of differences, I've enjoyed both cities. SD is chill and laid back while DC is competitive and constantly going...I relate more with DC, but in comparison to 70 degree year-round weather in SD, I'm not so sure. But, this is picking between apples and apples, not apples and oranges.

So, this morning, during a meeting, I receive an offer to continue working where I am currently for the rest of law school (which, I have to add, is an absolute dream job I likely won't get until I'm 7-10 years down the road). I absolutely love going to work every single day and I don't want it to end. However, if I accept this offer, I'll obviously have to transfer schools (confident I will be accepted). Both schools are great, but regardless, school doesn't matter too much for the work I'm going into as long as it's respectable, which both are. I will also have to deal with my DC apt lease agreement, all my furniture that's over there, securing a new spot in SD, buying new furniture...and anything that goes wrong; certainly, something is bound to go wrong. I would have to do all of this within 40 days. Then, pick new classes, and most good classes will already be filled, and get adjusted to a completely new scene and lifestyle.

I'm torn. I have an amazing job which I enjoy doing every single day, 70 degree and sunny weather non-stop, chill vibes, and beautiful beaches within walking distance in SD. In DC, I have a badass top-floor studio apartment, a social environment I enjoy and feel I thrive in, a solid clerkship secured for the next year, and tons of friends. The cost of living would be exactly the same in both places ($2K for my nice apartment in DC gets me an even better apartment in SD).

Need suggestions please!

I'm so torn.
Stay in SD.

Sincerely,

Someone who wants the roads in the metro DC area to be as empty as possible.

And $2k/month for a studio in DC? What neighborhood are you in?
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #51
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
However if you do move back to DC. HMU we go get pizza in Adams Morgan and troll Georgetown
No matter how drunk I get, I still refuse to eat that abomination they call jumbo slice.
Appreciate 2
      07-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #52
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
"Metro will shut down sections of lines for year-long subway repair work"

Hope you don't need to use the metro rail....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...65d_story.html
The whole safe track nonsense is largely overblown. Single tracking and station shut downs are only for a few days at a time. It's not like entire sections of the metro will be closed for a year straight.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #53
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
For every "well dressed professional," there are 2 low lives. The people aren't DC's strength.
Depends on which area you live in. If you live somewhere in NE where there's gentrification that holds true but if you're out in Dupont, Foggy Bottom or Georgetown or something, you're good.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #54
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

maybe pictures help you...

Appreciate 2
      07-18-2016, 08:40 PM   #55
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
So whats it gonna be OP?

Stay in SD where you can take a short trip to Mexico, post vids of you racing and not lying about, 'filmed in Mexico'.

Or go back to DC and be close to Trump when he wins
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 08:50 PM   #56
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

Ain't no donkey shows in DC......just sayin
Appreciate 2
      07-18-2016, 09:00 PM   #57
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

I'd pick SD based on how much you like your current job and the laid back life style. It's great to be in an competitive environment but it's draining. It's great for a couple years because it gives you that push to do better but it wears you out.
Appreciate 2
      07-18-2016, 10:28 PM   #58
WoohooSoCal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 SS II / SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Also I just cruised the 101. From Carlsbad to La Jolla just to pick up a shoe rack. Not like we don't have them in Carlsbad, but did it just for the drive. I never lived in DC, but I'm fairly well traveled. It would take a lot to get me to move from SD at this point.
lol I'll do the same thing, not for a shoe rack, but drive down the coast just to go to Whole Foods in Encinitas or anywhere out of the way during my errands just to cruise and look at the bikinis, the coast line, the sunset, the waves, etc.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 12:23 AM   #59
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

I lived in a good amount of places, including SoCal and outer DC. Fuck DC, go with SD.

Do you really want to live your whole life in the same place? That's no fun at all and makes for a boring person.
      07-19-2016, 12:51 AM   #60
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep
Drives: slut whisperer

Thanks for the advice and opinions everyone! I finalized my decision to go back to DC

I should be clear: I will be joining the service after graduation. Part of that is a requirement to travel for my first tour (likely somewhere overseas where my fluency in several languages will be of utility). So, I absolutely will not be staying in DC forever, I'll be getting out in 2.5 years. After my first tour, I will likely be stationed in San Diego/Hawaii/Japan.

Reason for choosing DC is two-fold: first, professionally, I'm attending an exceptional school with great classmates. I've already made a lot of references, and the opportunities are endless. I also plan on clerking at a courthouse in DC, and that's an opportunity I can't get in SD. Also, as much as I want to continue working where I am currently, which I absolutely love, diversity in job history is key for the field I'm going in. Second, socially, nothing beats DC socially. The girls outnumber guys, all my friends are there, happy hour on Constitution Avenue is fun, etc.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized my personality fits DC more than San Diego. I'm an old soul, a writer, and enjoy staying in locked away in my apartment being creative rather than sitting around on the beach. I had a difficult time getting acclimated to the San Diego lifestyle, yet I fit in so fluidly in DC when I first moved there. I know for a fact I won't miss coming home to my apartment in Pacific Beach (SD) and getting high off second hand smoke from my neighbors below smoking weed.

Also, as for the question of what part of DC my apt is in, it's right in DuPont circle, the heart of DC. Anyone who's been there knows that's an awesome place to live. And again, I absolutely love my apartment. Nine months at that place was not enough.

I recognize the competition can become draining and stressful over time, as someone mentioned. But at 23 with very few obligations, and a tendency to get distracted easily with gorgeous women in bikinis and become entirely unproductive, I could use a little stress.

Damn I hope I'm making the right decision. Guess we'll know in a couple of years.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #61
WoohooSoCal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 SS II / SS

Last chance, grasshopper....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #62
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
We wish you the best man.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #63
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

What are your long term goals as an attorney?

The east coast generally has better "professional" opportunities in my opinion.

Do you want to get into the things in law that are offered in DC - hey maybe you can be a super attorney in DC and can make a shit ton of money in politics someday lol (you get the point). Once you make a boat load you can move anywhere you want.

Go for the better job opportunity rather than location and weather. You have a lot of life to live and there will be opportunities in California in the future.

Edit: didn't read your last post. Agree with your decision. I'm in Los Angeles
      07-19-2016, 11:01 AM   #64
Pixel8ed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i

Sounds like you are thinking too short term. Your asking what is the best for now? But that may not be the same as what will be best in 10 years. Deal with short term pain for long term gain.

Where will you be in 10 years on both paths? In all aspects. location, job happiness, pay, additional opportunities... Which one do you want more? Which one are you willing to sacrifice to achieve the other?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 11:23 AM   #65
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08njSTEP View Post
Ain't no donkey shows in DC......just sayin
Yeah there is, that circus is known as the Democratic party.

We also have an equally sad and pathetic elephant show.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #66
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
In absolutely every single way-

1) traffic
2) roads comparable to the moon
3) cameras and police everywhere
4) a metro line that is less reliable than the pony express
5) unfriendly and uptight / career oriented only people
6) skyhigh prices and taxes

#inb4fecurtistellsushowgreatitis
This is great.

"So...what do you do for a living?"

Only reason I stick around is for the jerbs. Outside of those very, very, very valid reasons this place is a shit hole, it's not so bad.........................we have great sports franchises..........................yeah, really great..............
Appreciate 0