XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

09-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #1
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Making some lifestyle changes: Crossfit - Diet - etc

Not sure where I am going with this post or the feedback I'll get but here goes:

I recently moved away from my comfort zone of living in Houston with family and friends all around me to the Bay area (where I don't know anyone) and lately I am getting seriously bored.

I was moderately active before in the sense that I would run roughly 12-15 miles a week and would lift weights about 2 x a week following a program called Starting Strength (or Stronglifts 5x5). I also dabbled in JiuJitsu and Thai Kickboxing for about 3-4 months but I haven't been in a dojo for over a year now.

I am not in the greatest shape - but then again I am also not a morbidly obese beast that can't keep up a solid 1 Hour workout or run more than ten feet. I have run various 5K's 10K's and Half Marathons (nonstop) over the past year. When I moved out here I staggered off my regular routine and started getting bored and was not paying attention to my body.

Not to mention I am ALONE. It totally sucks to not have anyone to interact with and just hanging out at bars trying to talk to people gets really old really fast and if anything just makes things worse.

So yesterday I signed up for a Ramp-Up Program at Crossfit Oakland.

I did this in an effort to become more active and athletic than I was previously as well as have some interaction with some like minded people. I am 5'11 and about 215lbs and lets not get started on body fat lol. My arms and legs are pretty lean but my torso is a mess from years of inactivity and a very sedentary lifestyle.

I know a lot of people don't agree with Crossfit mentality but it was a good fit for me as it focuses on functional strength and movements like Starting Strength and Stronglifts and I also like the concept of working out til I puke lol. I also have decided to quit smoking and have gone a full week without giving in to the urge of smoking a cigarette.

My question I suppose will be around diet. I have followed the paleo model in the past and was pretty okay with not eating grains and legumes and trying to be as "caveman" as possible. But I see lots of people that plan out every meal and even go as far as calculating how many Grams of Protein, Carbs, and Fats they will have every day. Is this really necessary? I feel like if I try to do this I'm going to get very bored very fast and will end up being miserable and start binge eating on popsicles and junk food lol.

What are some thoughts around the crossfit movement? Also what are some other good ways to stay active, eating tips, and finding ways to burn energy in between the crossfit workouts.

The ramp up program is 3 x a week for 4 weeks and then I plan to get a 2 x a week membership. I am keeping up on my running and doing 4 mile runs about 3 times a week, but I feel like running by itself is not giving me the results I want.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

I'm very biased against the crossfit movement. Would rather do body building splits

Goodluck either way!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Did you see the 60-minutes piece on aging 8/31/14?

For me running is a great foundation, I can just add pull/ups, push-ups and jump rope and get in very good shape / just find your balance, don't obsess or over think it - but research and be smart
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 12:24 AM   #4
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Regarding nutrition, no, it isn't necessary to count your macronutrients. I do, though, recommend doing it just to get an idea of where your maintenance calories are at, and what deficit you need to be in, in order to lose weight (assuming that's your goal). After that, just use judgment to pick and choose your foods. The human body is very intelligent. It'll crave the macro and micro nutrients you need.

As for working out, my personal advice has been to stick with what works best for you. No one knows your body the way you do. If Crossfit works for you, stick with it. Just find something you will be able to maintain, and not give up on after a few weeks. Go easy, work your way towards difficulty.

Keep your nutrition in check, and enjoy your workouts! SET GOALS! Track progress, and most importantly have fun at it.

I could talk about nutrition all day, so feel free to ask any questions you like. I'm not authenticating myself as an expert, but I'd like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable in that area.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
ssummers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

I found this recently, IMO has some great info...

http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html

I'm not a crossfit guy, but recently started mixing high intensity training with my weight lifting sets. I really like it, can choose the HIT activities that fit me(lower impact), and still get in a great workout.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Crossfit; for when you absolutely, positively need to injure yourself in the shortest time possible. I been lifting since I was 20 (I'm 35 now) best workouts are bodybuilding ones; keep perfect form, concentrate on muscle being worked, use a weight that you can move CORRECTLY with a FULL range of motion, keep time under tension, and make sure you realize that every rep has a negative and the negative part should be slow and controlled. This has always worked best for me.

Look up Ben Pakulski and study his training method. I guarantee you will get results and your joints will love you for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

The thing most people don't seem to understand about Crossfit is that it is not franchised in practice only in name. Each and every box/gym is unique in their particular approach.

At the one I go to they will absolutely not let you lift any heavy weight unless you have near perfect form in that movement. They always lean on the side of caution.

There are absolutely some bad..even terrible apples in the CF world and they should be avoided like the plague, but if you are comfortable where you are going and feel safe and that the coaches know what you are doing, then enjoy it! Just be sure to educate yourself on your body and avoid things you are not capable of. If there are meat heads at your CF then stay away!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by takrdown View Post
The thing most people don't seem to understand about Crossfit is that it is not franchised in practice only in name. Each and every box/gym is unique in their particular approach.

At the one I go to they will absolutely not let you lift any heavy weight unless you have near perfect form in that movement. They always lean on the side of caution.

There are absolutely some bad..even terrible apples in the CF world and they should be avoided like the plague, but if you are comfortable where you are going and feel safe and that the coaches know what you are doing, then enjoy it! Just be sure to educate yourself on your body and avoid things you are not capable of. If there are meat heads at your CF then stay away!
So the one I joined is actually pretty good. They make you do a ramp-up program to make sure you have the technique down before you start adding any large amounts of weight.

The ramp up is a 4-week program 3 x a week of drilling and technique and then a quick set to knock out based on that session all within an hour. After the ramp-up I can join the regular classes and they have people from all walks of life in there so I'm not concerned about getting pushed to injury. I'm new to crossfit but not to lifting so I know my limits and am pretty good about working to get form over quantity.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Just know that Lou Ferrigno has had two replacement knees and at least one if not two hip surgeries - but he's still lifting.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7smurfs View Post
I'm very biased against the crossfit movement. Would rather do body building splits

Goodluck either way!
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #11
Spieltag
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW m235 AW/KR-B

Garage List
2015 BMW m235  [0.00]
As a strength and conditioning coach working with athletes, I am 99% against crossfit. Too many clients have come to me with injuries because of shitty crossfit coaching. Emphasis on programming and periodic action is what gives you the progress you want. Technique, proper form, and the way your body sequences muscle recruitment is overlooked in crossfit... I'm sorry, I'm sure there are good strength coaches with past experience with Olympic lifting and power lifting experience, but there are far more "I paid $300 and got certified in a weekend". With my clients I make sure that every single one of them is screened and instructed for their appropriate progression or regression as needed. Combine that with fms screening, and muscle activation techniques and correctives and I have had 0 athletes develop injuries from lifting.

Here is a quick article that I agree with 100% in re: to crossfit.
http://www.dailydot.com/opinion/why-i-dont-do-crossfit/
Crossfit does one thing well, it gets people energized about working out and challenging themselves, but it does it while sacrificing safety and quality.

In regards to training till you puke... One of the most dangerous, and least effective ways of training is training to fatigue. Proper periodization and programming will still focus on the principles of overload, and will give you much better results. I could tell you to do 50 Burpees and then do 20 85% 1rm squats and you'd fail, doesn't mean it was a good workout.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #12
M5TXGuy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 BlackSapphireMetallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieltag View Post
In regards to training till you puke... One of the most dangerous, and least effective ways of training is training to fatigue. Proper periodization and programming will still focus on the principles of overload, and will give you much better results. I could tell you to do 50 Burpees and then do 20 85% 1rm squats and you'd fail, doesn't mean it was a good workout.
Wish you were local to me! I did crossfit for a while and it was certainly exhausting and I burned a ton of calories, but I wasn't improving in strength or muscle size. I realized I could make myself throw up by doing what you mentioned so I stopped paying $100/month and Im back to the regular $35/month gym.
      09-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #13
gmfive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 AW

Garage List
2014 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Crossfit; for when you absolutely, positively need to injure yourself in the shortest time possible. I been lifting since I was 20 (I'm 35 now) best workouts are bodybuilding ones; keep perfect form, concentrate on muscle being worked, use a weight that you can move CORRECTLY with a FULL range of motion, keep time under tension, and make sure you realize that every rep has a negative and the negative part should be slow and controlled. This has always worked best for me.

Look up Ben Pakulski and study his training method. I guarantee you will get results and your joints will love you for it.
^^ this is very good advice. I'm almost in the same boat (similar number of lifting yrs) and can vouch for every word written above. A lot of folks swear by Crossfit but I'm yet to hear anyone concisely describe what it is they refer to as "technique". Crossfit to me, is like Brazil soccer team trying to lift the 2014 world cup based on emotion alone.. can go only so far.

Lifting is rather simple and techniques are basic (there's no magic really) and over time, muscle density will increase, just have to be patient as it is a long-term game. With persistence and a clean diet, results will show in due time. One thing that most folks don't talk about is common sense - during training sessions, our body does tell us when it is time to stop, pushing it further should be a calculated risk. I'd say it is better to slowly ramp intensity. Just my $0.02.
      12-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #14
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

I didn't know that eating animal proteins would have the same effect on insulin as sugar!

Paleo Diets May Negate Benefits of Exercise
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #15
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I did a modified Paleo (I ate dairy) combined with 4 days a week of CrossFit. I lost 26lbs in 8 weeks. The key is not breaking. I didn't have a single piece of candy or bread for the entire period and it worked like a charm.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #16
jayfro72
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550i sport

Crossfit is a great program if you find a good box (some suck). Do some research, listen to your coaches and swallow your pride. I have seen some amazing results and lives changed over the past 5 years. Most importantly, diet is 80% of your results.
The Zone diet is a pain and requires lots of planning, Paleo is easy. Just like the crossfit program itself, wade slowly into the paleo thing. STICK WITH IT!!! You will get strong and lean.
I've seen no more injury in my box than I saw in 15 years as a competitive triathlete.... And no deaths!!!! I'm 42 and look and feel like I'm 28.
Like I said, swallow your pride, take your time, listen to your coaches and you will love it. You will see results.
As far as the whole "cult" thing goes.... Your in a forum talking with a bunch of dudes that are so into BMW's that they joined a forum to talk about BMW's with a bunch of dudes. That's half the fun!!!
Be safe and enjoy, whatever your fitness pursuit is!
If you need any other advice let me know. I'm USAW certified, have my CSCS and I'm a Crossfit L1 Coach.

Last edited by jayfro72; 12-22-2014 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #17
Signal513
Sarging 24/7
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, C300, Audi Q7

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfro72 View Post
Crossfit is a great program if you find a good box (some suck). Do some research, listen to your coaches and swallow your pride. I have seen some amazing results and lives changed over the past 5 years. Most importantly, diet is 80% of your results.
The Zone diet is a pain and requires lots of planning, Paleo is easy. Just like the crossfit program itself, wade slowly into the paleo thing. STICK WITH IT!!! You will get strong and lean.
I've seen no more injury in my box than I saw in 15 years as a competitive triathlete.... And no deaths!!!! I'm 42 and look and feel like I'm 28.
Like I said, swallow your pride, take your time, listen to your coaches and you will love it. You will see results.
As far as the whole "cult" thing goes.... Your in a forum talking with a bunch of dudes that are so into BMW's that they joined a forum to talk about BMW's with a bunch of dudes. That's half the fun!!!
Be safe and enjoy, whatever your fitness pursuit is!
If you need any other advice let me know. I'm USAW certified, have my CSCS and I'm a Crossfit L1 Coach.

I like this post here. I don't attend cross-fit classes, but at 43, I am a freaking machine. I do 3-day splits with HIIT on the off-days and mountain biking on the weekends.

As sad as it may seem, I typically blow away all of the people I mountain bike with and I give it to a healthy diet and consistent exercise discipline.

Pick something you like and stick with it and you will gain ground.
      01-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #18
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Hmm, old thread, but this is how I feel about Crossfit:

If you have time, see the video. The guy is so "proud" to do his 100+ "pullups."
      01-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #19
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Hmm, old thread, but this is how I feel about Crossfit:

If you have time, see the video. The guy is so "proud" to do his 100+ "pullups."

LMAO, seen this video before..

The amount of correct pulls ups done = 0000000000000000000000

If this was bootcamp the DI would bitch slap his ass off the bar for that shit.

Kipping is what you do when you can't do a pull but want to feel like you can.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #20
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Thai boxing, not Thai kickboxing. There is a distinction between Thai boxing or muay Thai and kickboxing/Western kickboxing/Full Contact kickboxing.
      02-07-2015, 12:53 AM   #21
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I see pictures on IG of these suckers doing their weekly "meal prep" and just feel so sorry for them. What a miserable, depressing way to live.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #22
RonP187
Rep
Drives: Silver e90

Just a quick note on Crossfit - very easy to get injured if you don't lift properly with good form. I know a couple people with some nasty injuries playing it too fast and loose.
Appreciate 0