Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-24-2016, 12:35 AM   #1
Xdrive35i2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35I

Aftermarket intake question

hey guys,

is our X1 35i intake the same as the e90/e92 n55 intakes? It seems like it is per the realoem website...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...80#13717599282

Reason i am asking is I am thinking about the GruppeM intake... There's no version specifically for the X1 but I hope the E90 version can fit.

http://www.xposed.com.au/bmw-3-serie...-e93-335i.html

Yes, it is expensive but the craftmanship is amazing Anyone know a place that sell this intake for less?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 09:06 AM   #2
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

X1 N55 intake is same as E90 N55's. The piping and the intake ducts are the same. There is no way I would pay that much for an intake! It is a great design and looks great, but who looks under the hood of an X1?
Buy a used Burger, Injen or AFE.
I use BMS intake and clean my filter often and clean the MAF often. The sound is nice with the intake and it is a 10 minute switch back to stock if needed. I also use the E90 AFE intake scoops to help draw more air into the intake tract.

I am sure it will fit, but the cost is crazy. Check out the Eventuri website, these guys have a unique design and maybe they can make an N55 E series intake for us!
      08-24-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

I have a bms intake and it does the same thing for 200 as gruppem does for a shit load more.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Thats the most expensive intake ive ever seen for a non-m bmw. Im actually mildly impressed that that is a product.

That being said, I think there are better options (as others have said).

+1 for using e90 air scoops. I added cyba scoops and k&n drop in filter to my X1.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 02:02 PM   #5
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
Thats the most expensive intake ive ever seen for a non-m bmw. Im actually mildly impressed that that is a product.

That being said, I think there are better options (as others have said).

+1 for using e90 air scoops. I added cyba scoops and k&n drop in filter to my X1.
Those e90 cyba scoops fit properly? care to show a pic?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
LevinBR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i

I would be weary about the efficacy of an intake on an engine equipped with a turbocharger! No matter what you do to the air coming in, it enters the turbocharger at a controlled rate. There, it is compressed and heated up before finally entering the engine. In other words, the turbo will cancel out any effects from an improved intake. For naturally aspirated engines, however, I do think intake improvements are a worthwhile investment.

I too was interested in a cold air intake for my X1 35i, but after doing some research, it doesn't make mechanical sense - especially not for the price of the one you are looking at!

Just food for thought.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 03:48 PM   #7
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

*wary You could get a Dinan tune for less $. That's absurd, but then, so's the price of a download tune. More air in, more HP, regardless of NA or FI.

Last edited by zeevette; 08-24-2016 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 06:52 PM   #8
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdone View Post
Those e90 cyba scoops fit properly? care to show a pic?
I measured the length of the holes for the E90 fitment (for the innermost screw) and drilled a hole through the plastic covering on the E84 to have the exact same fitment:

(yes I painted them white) I like the grayscale theme if you can't tell from the pic of my E90 in my sig

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #9
X1Denver
niner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X1 Alpine Xdrive35i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevinBR View Post
I would be weary about the efficacy of an intake on an engine equipped with a turbocharger! No matter what you do to the air coming in, it enters the turbocharger at a controlled rate. There, it is compressed and heated up before finally entering the engine. In other words, the turbo will cancel out any effects from an improved intake. For naturally aspirated engines, however, I do think intake improvements are a worthwhile investment.

I too was interested in a cold air intake for my X1 35i, but after doing some research, it doesn't make mechanical sense - especially not for the price of the one you are looking at!

Just food for thought.

This is correct. Car manufactures know what air cleaner and box to use. If you upgrade your turbo or compressor wheel then you would want a larger filter assymbly.

The turbo compression suction is always limited to rpms of the turbine wheel and the compressor wheel fins. As opposed to vacuum suction of a NA engine. Your stock airbox is made for your OEM turbo.

That being said, a straight 6 of a BMW always sounds dope with a fancy CAI.
Appreciate 0