XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-07-2015, 05:49 AM   #1
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

can snow chains be fitted on 18" M wheels?

I got sDrive18d M Sport with standard 18" wheels with sports suspension and was wondering if I can fit snow chains on them so that I can ride it on snow spec says snow chains cannot be fitted but I heard that despite what spec says some can be fitted with one. So, was wondering if anyone has any experience on this.

Wheels are BMW M light-alloy double spoke styling 355M - front 225/45 R18 and rear 255/40 R18. Thanks

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 06:47 AM   #2
Orangee94
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55 DCT 2013

well thats what i wanted to do with mine but i didnt want to risk damage to the inner lining or anything if bmw was warning about no snow chains i had the Sdrive20d so was considering taking that to snows also instead i just took rents landcruiser to snows.

side note as much as the driving and handling feels so well having no torque steer cuz sdrive an suv isnt a suv without the 4wd was kicking myself for not getting the Xdrive ver with xenons plus australia never got the one with the n55 engine in it
      05-27-2015, 11:00 PM   #3
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangee94 View Post
well thats what i wanted to do with mine but i didnt want to risk damage to the inner lining or anything if bmw was warning about no snow chains i had the Sdrive20d so was considering taking that to snows also instead i just took rents landcruiser to snows.

side note as much as the driving and handling feels so well having no torque steer cuz sdrive an suv isnt a suv without the 4wd was kicking myself for not getting the Xdrive ver with xenons plus australia never got the one with the n55 engine in it
Thanks for the input Orangee
Times like this do make me feel that I should have gone for xdrive but then I wanted to get for RWD only and I knew such time won't come around much Also, I'm still on my 'P' so renting car isn't my option yet.

So, since I hadn't gone for any long drive either since I bought the car, I went on a drive to Cooma just to check if snow chain fits and they advised the spacing between the wheel and struct is big enough to fit one fine and I drove back Also, the expensive ones shouldn't damage the rim so hoping for the best as I'm planning to go to the snowy mountains around August.

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 10:53 PM   #4
Orangee94
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55 DCT 2013

Haha didnt rent a 4wd haha i meant rent as in parents 4wd xD yea understandable. Mustve been an awesome drive tho wish i did it in mine all the better audio, comfort, control and most of all FUEL ECONOMY. So much better than the 1998 landcruiser haha

Mee too, still on greens and heading down to snows in july
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 05:42 AM   #5
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangee94 View Post
Haha didnt rent a 4wd haha i meant rent as in parents 4wd xD yea understandable. Mustve been an awesome drive tho wish i did it in mine all the better audio, comfort, control and most of all FUEL ECONOMY. So much better than the 1998 landcruiser haha

Mee too, still on greens and heading down to snows in july
Ya it was an awesome drive.. thru Great Pacific Drive, Macquarie Pass and Monaro Hwy. The landscapes Monaro Hwy runs thru was breathtaking..

Road noise on some rough tarmac was the only thing getting on my way

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0