XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

01-30-2021, 05:15 PM   #1
Imnuts
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 128i convertible

Help! Has anyone lowered their front subframe? Just purchased a 2014 X1 sdrive and I am replacing the timing chain. Followed the instructions in the FCP Euro video but I can't get the oil pan out. Figured out that I need to lower the subframe. Engine is supported from the top. Loosed the steering rack bolts and loosed the 6 subframe bolts. I expected the subframe to lower with the jack but it doesn't move. Is there something that I'm missing? Can anyone with access to instructions send the to me? I don't need to remove it, just need to lower it a few inches so that I can pull the oil pan out. I'm about to pull the very little hair that I have left.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 07:49 PM   #2
Imnuts
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 128i convertible

Well, I figured it out. I loosened the bolts and expected the subframe to drop as I pulled the bolts. When it didn't, thought i was missing a connection or something. I wasn't. Seems that i needed to actually remove all of the subframe bolts before it would come down with the jack. The bolt mounts for the front bolts was apparently putting enough pressure on the subframe to keep it in place. I was able to remove the pan after I lowered the subframe. BTW, you CANNOT remove the oil pan in the X1 s328 without lowering the subframe. The straight second support bar under the oil pan (as opposed to the curved bar under the F30) makes it impossible. Now for the fun part - repacking the timing chain.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 10:39 PM   #3
chhimp
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw z4 3.0i 2005

Good to know, I will be tackling this also soon.
Appreciate 0