Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #45
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
The 4 banger has to work and that's the fun part. The only major misunderstanding I ended up with for my wife is the horrible gas mileage.

I thought a four would sip gas and not act like the gas whore she is.

If drive da beoch hard, you will be driving to the gas station.
Yea, I was a bit surprised that even with 2 extra gears and ASS and Ecopro and whatnot the fuel economy is...low.

One thing I might not have considered properly was the weight difference between the 28i and the 35i is made more pronounced by the 35i's additional standard features. Add in the awesome pano-sunroof and the weight might be a bit more comparable.

And UMBC - I sent you pm with more info.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #46
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i m sport

no regrets wish i had bought it sooner, thank you bmw for finally building the car suv wagon i wanted.

11-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #47
NorthIsUp
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

I recently turned 60 and wife insisted on buying me a new car for my birthday. I wanted another new Subaru, but the only feasible dealer within a hour's drive was a no-show. Couldn't get anyone to help me. Ten minutes walking around the dealership on a hot Saturday afternoon and I'm totally ignored. End of that upgrade story. A week later, she calls me from the BMW dealership where she's with our adult daughter having fun test driving various cars. Daughter already has an X5. I head over there reluctantly and see what they have for me. I knew nothing about modern BMWs. I had a used 1970 2000 4-dr sedan when I was stationed in Germany many years ago. I liked the idea of the 320i and waited a week for one to come in to test drive. It comes in, I can't bend over enough to fit in it comfortably. I fooled everyone and tried an X1 and I like it. Buy one a few hours later. I wish I had done more research.

I have a midnight blue loaded base model, which I really like. The lighting package is the only thing I don't have and miss, now that I know more about it. Angel lights haunt me in my sleep!

Last edited by NorthIsUp; 11-03-2013 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #48
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

The only thing I have found so far that really annoys me are the door seals. The seals next to the running boards are too far to the interior. As such the running boards get pretty grimy because they suck road dirt up. Then when you get any water it drips out dirty grim. It is most noticeable near the engine badge.

The other minor issue is the hatch. While there is cup for one's fingers to pull the door down they are on the interior of the door rather than bottom. This is a common ergonomic problem with many hatch back doors.

I guess for those with an M-Sport the trim is slightly wider than the black trim on the other lines - thus those who want muds flaps have to do some mods to get them to fit.

Edit to add like others the gas milage is also far less than I would expect. We are seeing around 20.4 in the city. Here is what the Feds say:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....n=sbs&id=33521

Last edited by BeEmVe; 11-09-2013 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 04:18 AM   #49
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

2014 X1 28I X-line fully loaded:

*very low gas mileage, proper tire inflation, 60 city-40 highway, non aggressive driver, dealer claims car is working properly after being checked for the low mileage and I'm getting 20.2 MPG's

*many rattles from the dash, and door areas as well as a clunking sound from the rear cargo area without anything in the cargo area. The dealer has my X1 now because a very loud clanking noise started 4 weeks ago from the drivers side dash area.

*extremely rough ride. Any tiny road imperfection resonates throughout the vehicle translating into a bumpy hard ride. I have a 320 X loaner now and it is like riding on air compared to my X1.

*the leather seats are uncomfortably hard. The non-leather seats in the loaners I've had are much more comfortable. Also the length of the seat itself is noticeably short causing pressure on the underside of the thighs (no support)

*the 320 X I'm driving as a loaner seems to be much more nimble to drive and feels much more like a sports car. 2 things that are noticeably better in the 320 X is the braking, it is smooth and effortless compared to the X1 and when pressing on the accelerator in the 320 X it feels soft and so much more responsive then the X!.

*I know many people talk about how great the non-power assist steering is in the X1 but personally I think the power assist in the 302 X is superior. When on the highway they are almost exactly the same but when you are driving in the streets, parking lots, making turns etc. the 320 X trumps the X1. I'm not talking about the effort involved but rather the true steering feel of the 320X rather than the over steer feeling of the X1 at low turning speeds. Even when changing lanes the X1 feels labored while the 320 X just steps right over the next lane with the smallest maneuver of the steering wheel.

PS: there is no one at BMW that will listen to any of my concerns, they basically stated in different words "sorry, we don't give a hoot and there is nothing we can or will do"

I am waiting to pick up my X1 from the dealer to see if they have resolved the many rattling noises which I do not believe they will. At that point It will be time to sit in front of the dealership with the car and give perspective BMW buyers a test drive in a rattle box since BMW wil not help mw with a brand new 45K car that rattles.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 09:57 PM   #50
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

I got the 28 all wheel drive with premium package, cold weather package, fine line wood, in Midnight Blue for a MSRP of 39,125. I guess the one option I would have gone for is the Technology Pack. I didn't realize that the BMW Apps were actually useful. If I got the Alpine White that would have only raised it 1500 dollars. I don't think I would spend anymore on the car.

I really like having heated steering wheel.

If I spent much more I might as well have just gotten the Audi All-Road. Or the 3 Series wagon Diesel.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 12:07 AM   #51
back2bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1

I'm still torn on the looks to be 100% honest. In my garage & up close I like it a lot. When I'm walking up to it from a distance it looks like a roller skate? I know that's a bit harsh but at some angles that's what it looks like.

The MP3 integration isn't flawless. I did post a comment stating that it seems like it doesn't seem to "hookup" every once in a while & I have to do a power shutdown on the iPod for it to finally catch.

On the plus side I'm actually loving the power! I'm coming from an 08 E350 w/260hp & this being at 240 but with 8 speeds & turbo 4 seems so much more peppier around town. It's perfect for my every day commute to & from work.

I love the interior, very minimalist & although it's fake leather & hard plastics they still have a good quality about them. I also like the 2 tone stitching.

My biggest love…….you're not going to believe it when I say it but….it's the mute button on the audio system. It actually has a true mute button. My E350 would mute but it wouldn't stop the music, so if you're on a long call then you're going to pass a lot of songs up. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but I love how it pauses the music.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #52
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

A far cry from a M5 wagon that is available in ROW, but so far my 35i is a great car...Take the plunge, get a 35i and get it loaded...So much fun
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #53
punchyninja
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 x28i 2014

I went with a 28i Xdrive msport with ultimate package, lighting, heated seats, lemans blue, and parking assist.

I think I would have NOT gotten the servotronic steering, but I was getting a car that was on the lot, vs doing an order. On the other hand, If I HAD ordered I would not have opted for the lighting package, but am so glad it came with it.

win some, lose some. The car is fine with the servotronic, but I had test drove one with and one without and thought I was getting a car without.

The moonroof makes the interior feel a lot larger than it is, very nice feature to have, but the really killer feature for me is the sports seats.

I'm very happy with the car so far. Some minor gripes, but overall am glad I got it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #54
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

I have the xDrive28i with metallic paint, sport line, ultimate package and heated seats.

All options are desirable but to control cost I suggest the following options (excluding metallic paint which is personal preference):

- Tech package (the car needs some info screen so even though I don't need the navigation having the screen is a big plus.)
- heated seats or cold weather package (if you are in a cold climate)
- Ultimate package: if you are already getting tech package and one more option like leather seat, pano roof, driver assistance or premium then it makes sense to spend just a bit more and get the whole enchilada.
- Xenon lights (this is the only option that I regret not having. Once you get used to xenon adaptive lights, regular halogens feel a huge step down.)
- Sport line (I wish I had xenon lights instead of sport line, but the red stitching and sport seats raise interior one step up).
- Paddle shifters: Probably you have to order your car to get this, but if you are doing so, at $120 there is little reason not to get it, even if it is not used that often.

I think for an economy configuration I will get a no-line car with tech package and heated seats. If I want to spend more I will get ultimate package, cold weather package, lighting package and paddle shifters. For a loaded car I will go with ultimate, cold weather, lighting, paddle shifters and sport line (I don't recommend m-sport because the sport line ride is already borderline harsh). I won't spend more than this configuration for an X1 because the interior quality can't justify the price. If your budget is higher then get a different car, a 3 series touring or GT, upcoming 4 series GT, Q5 or Audi allroad.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #55
EdgeCrusher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

I've got a 35i X-Line loaded... My only problem with the car is the "tip-in" for the acceleration, it's quite a pain but other than that the car has been great. I'm thinking about doing the Alpina B3 mod for the transmission to handle it better.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #56
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
You can try doing the pedal reset to help with throttle tip in. It worked for me.

How it works; 1. Turn the accessories on.
2. Press and hold the pedal all the way to the floor until you hear a whirring sound (electric motor) or about 30 seconds.
3. Turn car completely off.
4. Wait 2 or so minutes.
5. Start car and enjoy.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #57
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Thanks Twix, I'd forgotten about that. It helped a lot on our previous 1er, I'll give it a shot on the X1 tonight.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #58
Mtpisgah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 WRX & 2013 X1

My only regrets are not getting black interior and not getting the I drive. Other than that, I am very happy.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #59
EdgeCrusher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
You can try doing the pedal reset to help with throttle tip in. It worked for me.

How it works; 1. Turn the accessories on.
2. Press and hold the pedal all the way to the floor until you hear a whirring sound (electric motor) or about 30 seconds.
3. Turn car completely off.
4. Wait 2 or so minutes.
5. Start car and enjoy.
Yeah it worked for me but it sucks having to do that every 2-3 weeks.....
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #60
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer View Post

PS: there is no one at BMW that will listen to any of my concerns, they basically stated in different words "sorry, we don't give a hoot and there is nothing we can or will do"

Maybe you're not directing/communicating your issues effectively to the right people? I've found that any issues encountered with our BMWs have been properly addressed and rectified.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #61
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Please tell me who the right people might be. Not trying to be negative but BMW North Americas customer care line is nothing more than people whom read answers from a pre-printed log and when you try to ask them to go beyond the canned answer they give you they resort back to the original answer which is useless. The dealership that I regrettably purchased my car from is the worst of the 20 or do dealerships I have dealt with throughout my lifetime. I have been trying to have them set up a meet with a factory rep for over 4 months with no results. any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #62
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Please tell me who the right people might be. Not trying to be negative but BMW North Americas customer care line is nothing more than people whom read answers from a pre-printed log and when you try to ask them to go beyond the canned answer they give you they resort back to the original answer which is useless. The dealership that I regrettably purchased my car from is the worst of the 20 or do dealerships I have dealt with throughout my lifetime. I have been trying to have them set up a meet with a factory rep for over 4 months with no results. any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks
I see your list of complaints and the only one I can see as a real issue is the rattling noise. Is that still a problem? If it is take it to another BMW dealer. The comfort of the seat or the rough ride is an opinion and something you would discover on a test ride. Gas mileage isn't great but no one can fix that for you. My wife has a Jetta wagon and gets over 40 mpg and hers is rated less than that. Seems mpg on sticker isn't always accurate
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 03:52 AM   #63
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
2014 X1 28I X-line fully loaded:

*very low gas mileage, proper tire inflation, 60 city-40 highway, non aggressive driver, dealer claims car is working properly after being checked for the low mileage and I'm getting 20.2 MPG's

*many rattles from the dash, and door areas as well as a clunking sound from the rear cargo area without anything in the cargo area. The dealer has my X1 now because a very loud clanking noise started 4 weeks ago from the drivers side dash area.

*extremely rough ride. Any tiny road imperfection resonates throughout the vehicle translating into a bumpy hard ride. I have a 320 X loaner now and it is like riding on air compared to my X1.

*the leather seats are uncomfortably hard. The non-leather seats in the loaners I've had are much more comfortable. Also the length of the seat itself is noticeably short causing pressure on the underside of the thighs (no support)

*the 320 X I'm driving as a loaner seems to be much more nimble to drive and feels much more like a sports car. 2 things that are noticeably better in the 320 X is the braking, it is smooth and effortless compared to the X1 and when pressing on the accelerator in the 320 X it feels soft and so much more responsive then the X!.

*I know many people talk about how great the non-power assist steering is in the X1 but personally I think the power assist in the 302 X is superior. When on the highway they are almost exactly the same but when you are driving in the streets, parking lots, making turns etc. the 320 X trumps the X1. I'm not talking about the effort involved but rather the true steering feel of the 320X rather than the over steer feeling of the X1 at low turning speeds. Even when changing lanes the X1 feels labored while the 320 X just steps right over the next lane with the smallest maneuver of the steering wheel.

I am waiting to pick up my X1 from the dealer to see if they have resolved the many rattling noises which I do not believe they will. At that point It will be time to sit in front of the dealership with the car and give perspective BMW buyers a test drive in a rattle box since BMW wil not help mw with a brand new 45K car that rattles.
I have a similar commute and so far at 3000 miles get an average of 24.7 mpg. On open freeway trip I think 28 mpg is possible. So mileage is not terrible but the advertised numbers are probably 2-3 mpg optimistic.

I agree about rattles and interior quality. Please go to BMW USA website and configure a 328 xDrive to your X1 configuration. It will be 6-7k more than your X1 (I did this and came up with $50,375 vs $42,650). That's the culprit behind the rattles and noisy interior. The interior is made out of harder plastics and with less insulation to save money and drop weight.

Everybody bashing F30 cars for being soft and uncommunicative. X1 maintains some of the stiff and sporty character of E90. If you compare X1 to E90 it is much softer. Bottom line 1 and older 3 series BMWs don't ride like luxury cars, they are more sporty and stiffer than normal cars. A lot of people actually like this.

Also it is not fair to directly compare Handling and breaking of X1 to 3 series, X1 has much higher center of gravity and even BMW engineers cannot change laws of physics.

Last edited by MazdaFan; 02-20-2014 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 07:19 AM   #64
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
The dealership that I regrettably purchased my car from is the worst of the 20 or do dealerships I have dealt with throughout my lifetime. I have been trying to have them set up a meet with a factory rep for over 4 months with no results. any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
I see your list of complaints and the only one I can see as a real issue is the rattling noise. Is that still a problem? If it is take it to another BMW dealer.
Atomic has the right idea. Being in the Metro NY/NJ area affords you a multitude of BMW service centers and maybe one of them can give you better service than the one you purchased your X1 from. No law says that you must have your car serviced from the selling dealership. A good SA wants to help since he profits from treating you right. Ask around the forum or friends who have a BMW for a better service center than the one you're dealing with.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #65
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Come to Calgary BMW, they treat you like royalty!
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #66
AbaX135i
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X135i xLine

New member that registered just to say how much I love my 2013 X135i fully loaded xLine. Got a good deal on a dealer demo at the end of the year.
I was coming from an E39 V8 wagon, have had an early X5, and other older BMW models. This thing just has BMW DNA all over it in performance and road feel. I'm having a tough time seeing anything in their current or coming lineup that I'd want more as a daily driver!
It's been great in a brutal winter even with the stock A/S run-flats. Space is adequate with two younger kids. It even absorbed a massive snow bank none too worse for the wear when I had to make an emergency maneuver to avoid a collision recently.
Appreciate 0