XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-05-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
JRX1
Rep
Drives: X1

Larger Tires?

So this guy is running 20" rims with larger tires. Can we run larger tires and have the computer recalibrated so that the speedometer is accurate? I like the look of the 20's and larger tires vs. lowering, especially if you want to keep the clearance for snow.

Anyone have any idea what the specs are for his rims and tires? He states 45R20 but I don't know the first number or the width and backspacing of the rims. I want to mimic a similar look on my new X1.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRX1 View Post
So this guy is running 20" rims with larger tires. Can we run larger tires and have the computer recalibrated so that the speedometer is accurate? I like the look of the 20's and larger tires vs. lowering, especially if you want to keep the clearance for snow.
Bad idea, especially for snow. The clearing in the wheel well isn't made for larger wheels and tires. People with 20" wheels have reported the wheel hitting nipples in the well when turning - with paint-on tires, and on flat surfaces. Imagine making the tire bigger too, and add the bumps of winter driving. And the dirty ice that attaches inside the wells.

For winter, I go down to 17", so I can get more sidewall on the tires, and still have enough clearance. If the suspension had been softer, or I needed chains, I probably would have gone even smaller.

In short, anything bigger than 19" front and 20' rear with low profile tires is going to be hard to drive, and for show and not any serious driving. Smaller wheels allow you tires with more sidewall, at the cost of not being able to drive high speed.

If you want bigger, you probably need to expand the wheel wells, change the suspension, and probably the brakes too. We're taking rather big money then.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
x1-2012
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 x28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
Bad idea, especially for snow. The clearing in the wheel well isn't made for larger wheels and tires. People with 20" wheels have reported the wheel hitting nipples in the well when turning - with paint-on tires, and on flat surfaces. Imagine making the tire bigger too, and add the bumps of winter driving. And the dirty ice that attaches inside the wells.

For winter, I go down to 17", so I can get more sidewall on the tires, and still have enough clearance. If the suspension had been softer, or I needed chains, I probably would have gone even smaller.

In short, anything bigger than 19" front and 20' rear with low profile tires is going to be hard to drive, and for show and not any serious driving. Smaller wheels allow you tires with more sidewall, at the cost of not being able to drive high speed.

If you want bigger, you probably need to expand the wheel wells, change the suspension, and probably the brakes too. We're taking rather big money then.
I fully support, eg. driving with >19" wheels can be hazardous in winter.
Frozen pavement may pushes the suspension to the limit when hiting a pothole,
Winter road conditions tend to be harsh here, I even cracked one of the 16" wheels in wintertime on my previous car, which also wasn't fun for the ball joints!
I would have gone down to 16" but the brakes callipers (...) are too large for it, so I got the std 17" 225/50.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Can_Car
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive28 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1-2012 View Post
Winter road conditions tend to be harsh here
Oh, no. Another reinforcement of the "harsh Canadian winters".

2015 X1 Valencia Orange, M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
JRX1
Rep

Thanks, guys.

So right now I live in Socal, sunny and 70 365 days a year. I'm picking up an AWD version in case i move back to CO where theres snow.

I really like the look of the this setup:
http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...php?p=16075153

He went with 20's and a little larger of a tire.

Any suggestions on a 19" rim version to achieve a similar look? What width and ET would help the rims sit almost flush to the body ?

I would think larger tires on stock ride height would have the same issues as stock tires with lowered suspension?
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRX1 View Post
I would think larger tires on stock ride height would have the same issues as stock tires with lowered suspension?
No, that's true only for the vertical. The main problem is hitting the front and back of the wheel well, which you will do with larger wheels+tires, even if you raise it. Especially so for the front wheels, which need enough clearance to turn and brake at the same time.

19" front and 20" rear with low profile for summer conditions only is as big as it gets. Smaller for winter conditions.
If you want bigger, get a different car. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

the 20" wheels look terrible on the X1 in person, especially from 100+ft away.

The 19's look borderline enormous from a distance. We have Avant Garde style M5/M6 (and now M3/M4) replica wheels, 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 rear, I believe. The tires are 245/40/19 front and 275/35/19 rear, Hankook Ventus V12.

At full turn it barely, subtle as can be, rubs the fender liner in reverse. And the fender liner rubbing could be tackled quite easily, but I'm lazy and don't mind it.

We get compliments all the time. Don't do 20", for the love of God. 19" is the perfect statement on the X1.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
JRX1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinla335d View Post
the 20" wheels look terrible on the X1 in person, especially from 100+ft away.

The 19's look borderline enormous from a distance. We have Avant Garde style M5/M6 (and now M3/M4) replica wheels, 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 rear, I believe. The tires are 245/40/19 front and 275/35/19 rear, Hankook Ventus V12.

At full turn it barely, subtle as can be, rubs the fender liner in reverse. And the fender liner rubbing could be tackled quite easily, but I'm lazy and don't mind it.

We get compliments all the time. Don't do 20", for the love of God. 19" is the perfect statement on the X1.
Thanks Austin. Do you have any photos? I went with 19 x 8.5's all the way around with ET30. I have a few days before deciding on a tire size so I want to see your larger treads if you can post up a pic
Appreciate 0