Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
hessan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 z4 2.5

upgrading standard speakers

hi there,
I plan on to upgrade my mid ranges to hifi and add tweeters. whats makes me confused is that there seems to be 2 hifi models that fit . (not top hifi)
one has a large magnet the other has a very small one.
any thoughts?

vs

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
Dmitry83
Second Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: F30 320i (328i ECU) M-Sport

Hi,

As far as I remember from my E81- I've bought the big ones and it turned out it was either developed to work with Logic 7, cut off at the low frequencies like 100Hz and below, or with the powerful amplifier- the sound was overloaded.
So I've put back my small magnet ones, and just added the tweeters.
F80 bottom reinforcement plate
Koni Sport, M-Performance springs, M135i Anti-roll bars
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #3
x1x28i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

The small magnet version is probably a neodymium magnet, which may be equivalent to the larger ferrite magnet. I would not doubt the product of magnetic field and winding length (which gives the force per unit current) is the same. I don't know if the drivers are actually different, though. Why not get a better set of speakers, like the Morel Hybrid Ovation II, or the Focal IFBMW or 100KRS? There is also a new option from Rockford Fosgate for BMW (Don't' know if they're any good). Cost might be a factor, I suppose…
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Dmitry83
Second Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: F30 320i (328i ECU) M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1x28i View Post
The small magnet version is probably a neodymium magnet, which may be equivalent to the larger ferrite magnet. I would not doubt the product of magnetic field and winding length (which gives the force per unit current) is the same. I don't know if the drivers are actually different, though. Why not get a better set of speakers, like the Morel Hybrid Ovation II, or the Focal IFBMW or 100KRS? There is also a new option from Rockford Fosgate for BMW (Don't' know if they're any good). Cost might be a factor, I suppose…
You are right- the one I had is a neodymium magnet one, so seems it is just having a lower Fs, so better handling a full low range or something- don't remember exactly how Qts, Vas and Fs work together (though, we do not even have those measured).
Interesting idea on Morel, as they usually have very high sensitivity and can be easily amplified with the stock amp- have to check if their Qts is close to 0,7 as before they made a lower Qts midranges- for small volumes only or for the low range cut off.
Rockford is traditionally rough sounding, immortable at overloading, but they are also able of developing speakers with amazing sound quality.
Focal should be nice, but little bright.
Eton is the one I would put an eye on.
Appreciate 0