XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
Humble_Bear
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 530i,10 Golf,11 Sorento V6

Auto Start/Stop, can you turn it off by default?

I know there is a button to deactivate, but can you program it so it is off by default?

LA traffic is really bad, it's better to have it off most of the time and let me choose when I want to use it.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
bbsailo
Rep
Drives: X1

sigh.. same thing with me .. picked up my x1 today.. and realized that the auto on / off during traffic is so annoying.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 03:06 AM   #3
Tiboon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 20d

yes... now BMW dealer have new SW caled "last used mode" this SW hold deactivate auto/start stop system

but this SW only for US not for EU :-(

Last edited by Tiboon; 09-29-2012 at 03:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 03:25 AM   #4
Humble_Bear
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiboon View Post
yes... now BMW dealer have new SW caled "last used mode" this SW hold deactivate auto/start stop system

What is SW?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #5
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble_Bear
Quote:

What is SW?

Software.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
carolvinny
Rep
Drives: 2009 328XI

auto stop/start

Just test drove an X 1 in NY today and there is no button to turn it off like there is in the 3 series. Dealer said only cars with the button to turn it off can get a permanent fix.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
X1MSPORT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolvinny View Post
Just test drove an X 1 in NY today and there is no button to turn it off like there is in the 3 series. Dealer said only cars with the button to turn it off can get a permanent fix.
There is a button to turn it off. It's in front of the gear shift and reads "A OFF" (there is a circle around the letter "A"). Auto start/stop only comes on the 28i versions of the X1 (both sDrive and xDrive) as a standard feature. I have a 2013 X1 xDrive 28i and have used the button many times.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
Humble_Bear
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I really hope this is truly that the button will remember the previous setting rather than me pressing it each time after starting. Can anyone verify this? I just order mine today.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
tierwun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 228xi

Some dealers are clueless

I called a dealer in NJ about the update 3 weeks ago they had no idea what I was talking about.

I don't mind it, wife hates it.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble_Bear View Post
I really hope this is truly that the button will remember the previous setting rather than me pressing it each time after starting. Can anyone verify this? I just order mine today.
The default setting is "on". You have to have the service dept reprogram it, but they will do it free of charge. Once reprogrammed it will default to the last setting, so once you turn it off, it will stay off.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
Humble_Bear
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW View Post
The default setting is "on". You have to have the service dept reprogram it, but they will do it free of charge. Once reprogrammed it will default to the last setting, so once you turn it off, it will stay off.
That's good.

In addition, If you can change the period of idle time before turning off to 6 or 7 seconds that would be ideal.

Thirdly, move the botton closest to the driver rather than the farest.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #12
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You do learn to control the feature with the gas and brake. As long as the car is rolling the engine won't stop. Likewise, as soon as you begin to release pressure from the brake, the engine refires - even if you haven't started moving yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #13
Humble_Bear
Private
United_States
Rep

I do foresee a dangerous situation when you are stopped at an intersection trying to make a left turn in a hurry before the coming traffic and all of a sudden your engine is turned off...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #14
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I agree a 5-6 second delay would help.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #15
DarrenBM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d xDrive SE

Think some people are just stuck in their ways . Use it and get used to it, it'll save you fuel and peoples health.By the time you put the clutch down and put the car in gear ready to pull away (assuming manual), the car is already restarted. Even with the auto it starts straight away.

it is better if you know the your traffic system well though, so you know when to allow the auto function to stop the engine but even if it stops just before restarting again it does no harm although of course 20+ seconds at rest with engine off would be better.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #16
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenBM View Post
Think some people are just stuck in their ways . Use it and get used to it, it'll save you fuel and peoples health.By the time you put the clutch down and put the car in gear ready to pull away (assuming manual), the car is already restarted. Even with the auto it starts straight away.

it is better if you know the your traffic system well though, so you know when to allow the auto function to stop the engine but even if it stops just before restarting again it does no harm although of course 20+ seconds at rest with engine off would be better.
Darren,

While I agree with you; there have been some major complaints on the F30 boards about the ASS stalling (in the US), which can be a huge problem. On top of that, the system isn't explained in details. In the manual, there are a bunch of checks the system has to go through before it even turns on. It has to be the right temp outside, it has to have the battery charge (however there isn't even an indicator on how long it takes or display of the charge), and etc. I really wish BMW were a bit more detailed on the system.

I'm totally for this; when I drove a F30 demo, I came to a stop, the ASS started, and when I knew I was going to move (by paying attention to my surroundings) I had my foot on my brake, tap the accelerator and the car started up, and I proceeded on.

Ever since I started driving, I always said to myself why can't cars turn off in traffic. It's a complete waste of energy. As more cars start doing this, the better it will become and more people will start to accept it.

In the BMW manual, it also stated it won't engage ASS in rush-hour situations. This is true (at least for me).
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #17
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

If one has to "learn how to control the feature", then it really isn't automatic, is it? Sounds like it would have been better if people would just use the start/stop button to stop then restart the engine when they wanted.

Seriously, is all the aggravation and potential safety issues worth the 3% savings in fuel economy?

Not for me. Glad I've got the 35i

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #18
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
If one has to "learn how to control the feature", then it really isn't automatic, is it? Sounds like it would have been better if people would just use the start/stop button to stop then restart the engine when they wanted.

Seriously, is all the aggravation and potential safety issues worth the 3% savings in fuel economy?

Not for me. Glad I've got the 35i

Not sure what the engine has to do with it since the system can be completely disabled. There is no reason this optional feature should prevent somebody from buying the 28i if that's the engine they want. Don't want it? Have the dealer change the default to last setting, turn it off, and forget about it. It should never activate again - at least in theory.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #19
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

The 35i doesn't have it as an option, hence the earlier comment.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #20
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

It does feel a bit strange at first and takes a little bit of time to get used to it, but you do get used to it, you just have to give it a chance and not just reach to the button to turn it off first thing in the car.

You simply have to sometimes anticipate a little bit more: release the brake pedal a 1/2 second before you want to move, that's all. Last time I drove a car with it, it took me a few days to get used to it then felt normal (it was a manual, as soon as you press the clutch it, it starts the car again). Now I have the X1 for 2 days now and I'm already starting to get used to it again, I'm sure in a few more days I won't even notice anymore.

And yes, it does save fuel that would otherwise be completely wasted. If you are in traffic I bet you it will save a lot more than just 3%!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #21
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
The 35i doesn't have it as an option, hence the earlier comment.
I understand you can't get it with the six. I was just pointing out that, since it can be completely disabled, you have the ability to take it out of the equation for the 28i. Not having it available as an option might prevent somebody from buying the 3.0T if they want the feature, but having it standard shouldn't prevent somebody who doesn't want it from buying the 2.0T.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #22
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW View Post
I understand you can't get it with the six. I was just pointing out that, since it can be completely disabled, you have the ability to take it out of the equation for the 28i. Not having it available as an option might prevent somebody from buying the 3.0T if they want the feature, but having it standard shouldn't prevent somebody who doesn't want it from buying the 2.0T.
Has anyone actually had it disabled at the dealer? I know the F30 crowd wasn't have much luck with that approach.

The 3.0t gets 6 mpg less than the 2.0t, no amount of ASS is going to bridge that gap.
Appreciate 0