XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
punchyninja
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 x28i 2014

Focal Speaker upgrade

I picked up the Focal Speaker upgrade from Crutchfield. ( I did find it cheaper on Ebay later, fyi...though having tech support was nice)

After reading about the install on the forums, and watching the focal videos, (and later the ones from bav sound) I was able to do the install pretty quickly...to a point.

When it came to hook up the tweeter, the cabling was wrong. I called Crutchfield and they were stumped. I was going to exchange them, but Crutchfield opened up another box from the warehouse, and it to had the same wrong wiring harness.

They called Orca Designs (the parent co of Focal) and found out this was a known issue. I got ahold of Orca and they were very helpful in mailing out the correct harness to me. Super nice guys.

There are 2 types of Focal upgrades, one with, and one without the tweeter. I got the wiring harness for the non tweeter set.

If you do the upgrade, check the harness before you start the install. It was a real pain to have the door taken apart, the mid range installed, and then find out the cables are wrong.

The system sounds great, though after seeing the bav sound video, and seeing how much cheaper the Bav sound set is, I think I would go with them instead. (they have the door insulation, better tools, use the BMW cross over instead of the bulky thing that focal uses, and replace the rear speakers.)

I had never done a car speaker install and it was pretty easy. recommended if you have the cash/time.

Crutchfield was amazing to work with, (the quickest and nicest tech support experience I have ever had) and Orca did come through quickly.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
Nova Rounder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xdrive 28i M Sport

I opted for the 12 speaker Harmon Kardon surround and it's great for listening to any kind of music
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
punchyninja
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 x28i 2014

if your loving the sound Nova thats great!

If you ever find it lacking at some point in the future, the Bav Sound upgrade or Focal really are nice.

The HK surround set up uses the same mid range and tweeters as the stock hi fi system, so you would get a nice improvement.

Last edited by punchyninja; 11-30-2014 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0