Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-21-2015, 05:22 AM   #23
xirsteon
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstolpner View Post
Mine had over a year and a half of original warranty remaining at the time is purchase. And I imagine they look at what it would cost to CPO and go from there. The car has to be practically new - on mine they replaced some interior pieces as they were scratched - if there's too much damage they end up spending more on it than they get back in the price increase. The problem is they might notice some wear that points to a shortened life span....

I'm on the other shore, so unless you're coming into Vancouver I can't really help.
Try looking for dealership ratings on Google maps for signs of quality. To be fair the only bad dealership in my area is bad for after sale service but they're great during the sale itself...

You can find all the prices by doing a search on BMW.CA and this way you'll see all the CPO's available as well. You should be able to filter by the model and area you're looking at.
Thanks for the url. You're indeed correct about the pkgs n prices over there. I do not understand the price difference at all. I see some in Quebec region. Has any ever imported cars from CAN before? What are the processes involved?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #24
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who imported from Canada into US, it's usually done the other way.

Do a search online and you should be able to find a government site with information on importing cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #25
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who imported from Canada into US, it's usually done the other way.

Do a search online and you should be able to find a government site with information on importing cars.
bummer. You're right though. Well, rightnow it's either i cough up $29k for the '13 x1 26kmi OR $27k for '13 RDX with 40kmi (non cpo both). How I wish I could import the car. I'm actually 3hrs from Quebec (Montreal).
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #26
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

I'm absolutely sure that you can import it. Spend fifteen minutes researching it. Plus I'm sure that someone has posted about it in the forums as well.

Also don't forget to include the taxes into the price when you're researching. We have federal and provincial taxes. Federal are 5% and provincial vary obviously (Alberta is 0% while BC is 7%). Might be worth it not to restrict yourself to Quebec.

That said I'm not sure how the taxes work for vehicles bought for export. Again I'm sure your research will answer that question
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 06:16 PM   #27
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm absolutely sure that you can import it. Spend fifteen minutes researching it. Plus I'm sure that someone has posted about it in the forums as well.

Also don't forget to include the taxes into the price when you're researching. We have federal and provincial taxes. Federal are 5% and provincial vary obviously (Alberta is 0% while BC is 7%). Might be worth it not to restrict yourself to Quebec.

That said I'm not sure how the taxes work for vehicles bought for export. Again I'm sure your research will answer that question
Add my county tax (8%) sales tax and possibility of traveling to pick it up (fly or drive) and I'm back at square one at that point. BC and Alberta are on the West coast while I'm on East. It's not as clear cut and/or easy but I suppose nothing is easy in life generally.

I do appreciate your motivation and encouragement tho. My wife is exhausted from all of this while I'm nearing that as well. I'm actually now considering a '13 328i (minus cold weather pkg) as it has 9kmi. Time will tell what we decide on.

Wife dragged me to a local dealer today to test drive a Mazda6 (just because) and we came away not surprised yet again.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #28
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirsteon View Post
Wife dragged me to a local dealer today to test drive a Mazda6 (just because) and we came away not surprised yet again.
Our runner-up was the Grand Touring CX-5. If you are looking for something SUVish you might want to look at it. It does not have the premium feel of the X1, but it came the closest for me in the fun to drive category out of anything in the sub $30K category.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #29
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I'm a good 30 hour drive from Montreal. You wouldn't pay any taxes on a private sale. You'd need to have the car saftied, which wouldn't be difficult given the age and mileage. The only thing that would be annoying is the fact that the Canadian cars only show speed in KM. No smaller numbers for MPH.

You would have to pay for the sales taxes in your home state given their policies for items bought from a private seller (i.e. not a business). I think there's a standard import fee for registration and then the licensing and what not as well. Would be still cheaper than buying in your area by the looks of things.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 05:05 AM   #30
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
I'm a good 30 hour drive from Montreal. You wouldn't pay any taxes on a private sale. You'd need to have the car saftied, which wouldn't be difficult given the age and mileage. The only thing that would be annoying is the fact that the Canadian cars only show speed in KM. No smaller numbers for MPH.

You would have to pay for the sales taxes in your home state given their policies for items bought from a private seller (i.e. not a business). I think there's a standard import fee for registration and then the licensing and what not as well. Would be still cheaper than buying in your area by the looks of things.
Thanks again Twix. I tried looking for posts that will show me pictures of your car but I couldn't find any. You're right with the mph conversion being a minor issue. It's weirf because the U.S version has the km in the tachometer.

Either way, it'll be still cheaper @ $26,000 + import fees, + 8% tax + $399 reg. fees. It'll be close but probably not far off $29900.

The jury is still out on our decision.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 05:08 AM   #31
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
Our runner-up was the Grand Touring CX-5. If you are looking for something SUVish you might want to look at it. It does not have the premium feel of the X1, but it came the closest for me in the fun to drive category out of anything in the sub $30K category.
I liked the cx-5 looks. Although the interior felt cheap. Sure it gets bettet mileage on the road compared to the x1 and more spacious. We also looked at a cx-3 two days ago and my wife is undecided on it. It looks nice but the asking price was $26k and she immediately said no.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 09:41 AM   #32
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

We checked out the Mazda's as well but didn't go for it as it didn't have memory seats as options. I'm 5'11" and my wife is 5' and its our only car so the memory seats were a must. As a bonus the side mirrors are part of the memory seats too!!

As for MPH you can code the car to show you speed in mph on the digital display. That said I don't get why US models have both mph and kph and Canadian models only show kph. Given how many Canadians drive to the states it's really annoying.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #33
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
We checked out the Mazda's as well but didn't go for it as it didn't have memory seats as options. I'm 5'11" and my wife is 5' and its our only car so the memory seats were a must. As a bonus the side mirrors are part of the memory seats too!!

As for MPH you can code the car to show you speed in mph on the digital display. That said I don't get why US models have both mph and kph and Canadian models only show kph. Given how many Canadians drive to the states it's really annoying.
Let me make sure I understand this correctly. Are you saying that x1's memory seat numbers 1,2 syncs with the mirror settings as well for each driver? If you have the premium pkg that is? Or do you need to code this ? That'd cool. Also does the interior door handle light up when in the halos are on? I know that it has the led light on the exterior door handles.

As for the mph / kph options, it seems as though it was done intentionally. Speaking of CAN importing, a friend of mine just bought a 2006 911 that was originally imported from the U.S to CA and he told me today that it is much easier if the car was originally made for US than the other way around.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 03:35 PM   #34
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Let me make sure I understand this correctly. Are you saying that x1's memory seat numbers 1,2 syncs with the mirror settings as well for each driver? If you have the premium pkg that is? Or do you need to code this ? That'd cool.
Actually you don't even have to use the seat memory button. It will put the seat, mirrors and radio settings to the last setting for each specific comfort access key fob (premium package feature).

I'm pretty sure the seat memory button saves both the seat and mirror positions, but am not certain since it automatically does it with my key fob.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #35
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Yeah there's no coding required for the memory mirrors option. Just push the button and they move together with the seat - no comfort access required.
That said I do have comfort access and can confirm that the seats and mirrors move to the last position for each key. But either way the only thing you have to move is the rear view mirror and the steering wheel (if you adjust it at all).

As for importing into US - if the car was intended for a specific market then obviously bringing it back into that market is easier as it has all the market specific modifications. But the discussion started off with how to acquire a BMW in an inexpensive manner. Speaking of which - US imported vehicles always go for below market value so if you can find one in Canada then you would get an absolutely awesome deal and an easier import experience in the process.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #36
caldep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325xi Touring MT X1 x28i

Garage List
2023 X2 F39  [0.00]
2022 X3 G01  [0.00]
2006 e91  [10.00]
Twix has some photos of his car posted here:

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=986700

A good one of the front end is posted here

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...wrapped&page=2

30 hour drive is quite a trip though.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #37
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldep View Post
Twix has some photos of his car posted here:

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=986700

A good one of the front end is posted here

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...wrapped&page=2

30 hour drive is quite a trip though.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 10:03 PM   #38
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah there's no coding required for the memory mirrors option. Just push the button and they move together with the seat - no comfort access required.
That said I do have comfort access and can confirm that the seats and mirrors move to the last position for each key. But either way the only thing you have to move is the rear view mirror and the steering wheel (if you adjust it at all).

As for importing into US - if the car was intended for a specific market then obviously bringing it back into that market is easier as it has all the market specific modifications. But the discussion started off with how to acquire a BMW in an inexpensive manner. Speaking of which - US imported vehicles always go for below market value so if you can find one in Canada then you would get an absolutely awesome deal and an easier import experience in the process.
Thanks for confirming that. Out of topic, are the rear view mirrors powered? I see some members programmed theirs (coded) to auto fold upon parking. If they are, is it part of the premium/ ultimate pkg?

I am of the opinion that there is button next to the r/v mirror adjustment buttons to fold them. Could you please confirm?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 10:48 PM   #39
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Mine are powered and there is a button to fold them where you're saying. When I get around to coding the car I'm going to do the auto fold thing as well.

Keep in mind that my car is pretty loaded so I'm not sure if it's a standard feature (or indeed how it changes between US and Canadian configurations).

PS: I'm assuming you're talking about the side view mirrors, not the rear view that's in the middle of the windshield :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 10:54 PM   #40
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for confirming that. Out of topic, are the rear view mirrors powered? I see some members programmed theirs (coded) to auto fold upon parking. If they are, is it part of the premium/ ultimate pkg?

I am of the opinion that there is button next to the r/v mirror adjustment buttons to fold them. Could you please confirm?
I just checked the user manual and it doesn't state anything about options for the folding mirrors so you're probably good regardless. That said keep in mind the mirror dimming is optional and it might be packaged with that.

I can attach the user guide here if you need but a quick Google search should locate it
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 11:33 PM   #41
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Mine are powered and there is a button to fold them where you're saying. When I get around to coding the car I'm going to do the auto fold thing as well.

Keep in mind that my car is pretty loaded so I'm not sure if it's a standard feature (or indeed how it changes between US and Canadian configurations).

PS: I'm assuming you're talking about the side view mirrors, not the rear view that's in the middle of the windshield :-)
Yes I am referring to the side mirrors rather. Thx for picking up on that. The X1s I'm considering either have Premium or Ultimate as part of the pkgs. I'm not 100% sure how I feel about auto folding them each time. I would think that means the mirror motor would be in use more and might lead to a worn out after some time. In addition, I'm afraid that once the real winter finally arrive here in NY, it'll so cold that the mirror motor might be either frozen or too cold to even perform a full fold. Giving how important the mirrors are and also the fact that once the mirror starts folding automatically, they doesn't stop until they fully fold.

Just a concern of mine anyway. If we get the X1, I'll probably do a remote coding with Alex guy at some point.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 11:36 PM   #42
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Also the mirrors already trap some small amount of water during car wash. Add brutal winter weather to the mix, I could see how the motors could be impeded easily during winter
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 11:42 PM   #43
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
I just checked the user manual and it doesn't state anything about options for the folding mirrors so you're probably good regardless. That said keep in mind the mirror dimming is optional and it might be packaged with that.

I can attach the user guide here if you need but a quick Google search should locate it
Could you please check if you are able to manually fold yours with the push of a button. I'm assuming you have either the premium or ultimate pkg that allows for that feature.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 12:26 AM   #44
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

I don't have the car coded yet, so the mirrors only fold and unfold at the press of a button (with the exception that they unfold when you accelerate past some nominal speed)

I don't remember the exact packages but if I recall correctly I have premium, executive, and lighting packages. If you like PM me your email address I'll send you the pricing guide that describes all the packages in detail.
Appreciate 0