XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

12-19-2020, 04:45 PM   #1
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Coolant Top Off, - Too Full Causing Leak?

I recently replaced the water pump and it was a pain in the as* job to say the least.

I topped off the coolant, and then did it again. It's about 1/2" over the yellow "MAX" float. After running for a few minutes it leaks out of the hole pictured. I assume this is because it's a tiny bit "over full".

That's what this hole is, right? It's for when coolant expands too much and it needs to relieve?

My thought was to evac a small amount of coolant out and and run it again to check if it still leaks.

Any reason not to do this?

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 10:49 PM   #2
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Figured I would post an update for anyone in the future. I used a pipette and took a small amount of the coolant out after I made this thread, and the cars *knock on wood* hasn't been leaking. I did some reading that a lot of the 3.0's will leak a little bit if they are filled to the fill mark. And a lot of these tanks like to crack and fail.

Seems to be some evidence that filling them up towards full tends to help them crack more. Maybe more pressure, but anyway, my car likes it perfectly in the middle and no more dribble.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2021, 12:29 PM   #3
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i xDrive 2013

I don't remember where, but I feel like I read somewhere on the e90 or bmw forums stating that it's better to be closer to the min line than the max line for coolant.

Engine oil is opposite, I believe I read that it's better to be closer to full than low.
Appreciate 0