Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Nav advice please

Well I have read the manual on Nav a couple times now, but I don't think I am getting how to use this function to its best advantage. Never had Nav in a car before.

Here are my questions for some experienced Nav people who will do me the favor of not referring me back to the manual (see my first sentence):

1 - traffic info for daily commute: what's the best way to get this? Two major LA freeways are part of my commute. I can turn on "traffic info," but the screen is so clogged with detail I don't know what I am looking at. Also, that won't show me alerts for a problem 10 miles ahead on my commute, on a different freeway (unless I do a lot of scrolling and adjusting I shouldn't do while driving...). Yesterday I added my home and my office as destinations. Is this what I should do to get the best traffic info for my commute - turn on Guidance at the start of my work trip, coming or going?

2 - adding destinations: I ended up doing manual entry. I tried the interactive map and it couldn't identify my location exactly enough to enter the address as a destination. Any hints? I also tried to enter an address once using voice command and got so frustrated I gave up. I couldn't get it to register the street number, just the street and city. Advice there?

3 - any other hints/suggestions? What are some ways other drivers use Nav to make driving easier?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

You need to activate "grey traffic map" to see traffic properly (Sigalert type view).

Don't waste time with the interactive map. Enter destinations manually with iDrive controller or voice. The C&D's video review of xDrive28i has a great example of how to use voice to enter a destination near the end.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
icemilkcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Soon to be x1

The gray map does show the different colors for different severities. But the downside is you can't get POI's with the gray map for some reasons.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
vbbuilt
Private
Rep
Drives: x28i

You can also view traffic obstructions in 3-D view: Small triangles along the planned route indicate route sections with traffic obstructions, depending on the map scale. The direction of the triangles indicates the direction of the obstruction. The traffic signs indicate the significance of the obstruction.
▷ Red traffic sign: the obstruction affects the planned route or direction.
▷ Grey traffic sign: the obstruction does not affect the planned route or direction.

Also, if you're following a planned route, the GPS will verbally tell you that your route is being re-calculated due to traffic. This is Semi-dynamic destination guidance. So read page 155 in your manual, tells you all about that.

Vince.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
mrnd23
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Does the NAV has spoken street names? I mean local streets not just major highways and interstates.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnd23
Does the NAV has spoken street names? I mean local streets not just major highways and interstates.
I don't think so, just freeway numbers.
      01-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Thanks all. I had forgotten about the numerous available videos. Watching a couple of those has also helped me a lot. I did not know about the settings/grey option, for example. Thanks again...
Appreciate 0