Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #1
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Why I will keep my E84 X1

So, my X1 is a 2012 X line fully loaded. When I bought the car, the packages were different than the ones they offer today.
My car has in this moment 42.000 km on board, so practically we did not use it too much. It had four recalls for different reasons, but it was very good to us so far, and except one engine light that came up and disappear next day, never gave us trouble and it was a very good, wonderful ride that brought us lots of smiles. My wife just loves the little bugger.
I was looking to replace it due to the fact that the new UKL platform will show up, and I WILL NOT buy a FWD BMW. A true X-drive is RWD biased and I love the RWD behaviour in the summer or when dry and how the X-Drive works when needed. It is a very good system if you know how to handle the car. It was used in some very snowy environment with all-weather tires and the little guy never gave up. Due to the fact that they change the model, I wanted a 2015 to keep it until God knows.

In the meantime, like all others, I have invested in the car, I have upgraded the Navigation a month ago and that was almost $300, I have installed high quality LED lights inside, bought M wheels and non RFT tires putting aside the original wheels and tires that are still like new in the garage, I have paid to install 3M film over the full front, full hood, full fenders, mirrors, front bumper, A pillars, headlamps, fog lamps, rear bumper, installed tint, all weather floor mats, trunk net, trunk tray, BMW winter mats, mud flaps, etc.
I have complained about the squeaking brakes when cold and found out that mine was due for a free replacement; bottom line, BMW was up to the expectations and replaced at no cost the brakes by installing new discs, pads and rotors. Practically, at 36.000 km, the car received brand new brakes.

The vehicle is FULLY LOADED with all the options available. Here is a summary:

PREMIUM PACKAGE

CONVENIENCE PACKAGE

BMW Apps Package

LIGHTING PACKAGE

NAVIGATION PACKAGE

Harman Kardon HI FI Sound System
Comfort Access
Nevada Leather
Park Distance Control
USB Input

Other Added options:
- Trunk tray
- Carpet mats
- Rubber mats
- Tinted windows
- Antitheft Wheel nuts
- Splash Guard

So, with all the confidence I went to the dealership to trade in and order a new 2015 fully loaded 2.8 M package X1. The car has not even a scratch on it, all-weather tires are 2 years old but not much mileage, the original RFT are like new, everything ready to be offered for the trade in.
The problem was that once I arrived there, the guys started to BS me with the price and offered me peanuts for practically a mint vehicle.
In other words, they are selling a "naked" vehicle with no xenon, no HK sound system, no Comfort Access, No navigation, No lighting package, etc., and with 70.000 km on board for $32.000.
They offer $25.000 for mine!!!
Other dealership offered me $23.000 and another $29.000.

So, they are making money on the new one, and they want to make money on the old one too!!! A LOT! I love my M wheels so much and I don't need their wheels or RFT ( I have a square setup with M wheels), I offered to keep my wheels and they can keep the new wheels from the new car if they want since they will end up on my garage floor anyway. The vehicle has also an extended warranty until 7 years, a $3000 value. Nothing helped. They refused to acknowledge that they are selling cheap cars for a lot more than they offered me. After my calculations, I realized that they want to make over $8-9000 profit on mine. And the salesman was dumb enough to say that mine will sell right away.

I have played around with few dealers with the same build sheet, the game was funny but sad in the same time, dealers are indeed too greedy!!!

My question is : HOW MUCH MONEY THEY WANT TO MAKE???? They rip you off at the first buy, again at the trade in, again at the second buy...

What they did not know is that, I am not a stranger in regards to BMW invoices, I know the game, I do have access to the true Black Book and all the dealer tools to appraise my car, some of my best friends are managers in different dealerships, and I also know how much money they have in their new cars. My vehicle was appraised by CBB as today at over $37.000 as an "extra clean" vehicle. I wanted $35- 36.000 for it. The vehicle was over $54000 back in time.

I have put up the car for sale and had few customers, many low ballers, however, one gentleman really like the car and was very interested.

In the meantime, I did my research and I find out that a fully loaded 2.8i does not get anymore:
- Sparkling Bronze Metallic
- Harman Kardon sound system (now it is offered in the 3.5 only)
- Adaptive Headlights
- Headlamps Washer system
- same color roof liner (mine is the same color everywhere)

I do not want the 3.5, we are extremely happy with the 2.8 and I love the 8 speed ZF transmission. It is fun and good in gas too, I see no reason to pay few thousands more for a bigger engine.

Bottom line, I just realized that my vehicle is one of a kind anyway. For this reason I have decided to keep my car. I will invest more money in it and change few things to make it much nicer.

I don't know how you guys see the resale value on these puppies, however, I will not sell my car for nothing, especially when it was so well looked after. I was ready to accept almost $20.000 loss 42.000 km later which means that I have spent $500 for each 1000 km. And still it wasn't enough.

Anyway, I will not buy a car from those dealers anymore, that's for sure, I will find a sales guy in another province, a sales person that will appreciate my business fully and that will understand that 550 is better than "no-fifty"

In the end, I will keep my baby, even invest $5-10000 in all kind of toys and make it nicer, and still never reach a such rip off. The rest will go towards my next M2 or M3 and the X1 will live with us as long as he can keep up.

here is my boy .
Take care and have fun!

Tracus
Attached Images

Last edited by Teutonic; 04-26-2015 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 07:22 PM   #2
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Trading a 3yr old vehicle in is a money-losing proposition in its own right...just keep yours.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 10:37 PM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Yep, I've never understood trading one car for the same thing.

GLA45 or Macan S are the most likely replacements for ours, with the LCI 440i GC as a bit of an outsider.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #4
Nova Rounder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xdrive 28i M Sport

Good decision! my wife and our 16 yr old son loves this X1!! We have a completely loaded 2015 X28i M Sport. My son is always like "Dad, this bimmer sounds so amazing and everyone in school wants to talk to me about this vehicle" and my wife likewise "so fun to drive and this little thing moves" Yes, she is talking about our X1!! Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I am absolutely lost as to why you'd sell one with half the KMs on it of the one you were looking to buy.

i'm totally lost.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I am absolutely lost as to why you'd sell one with half the KMs on it of the one you were looking to buy.

i'm totally lost.
Probably my post is a little bit confusing. I went to order a brand new 2015 X1. The one that I am mentioning in there is just an example to show how much the dealer asks for a much simpler and less optioned vehicle that is in their used car lot, and how little they offer for mine which was lesser km, better car and fully equipped.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #7
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

You spend a lot of time just to go in circles. Yeah, a dealer makes a profit on the trade-in too. Big news flash.

BTW, your car is beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 12:32 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Options don't really get you much in trade in value. Better to have a low optioned 35i than a heavily optioned 28i, strictly in trade in value terms.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #9
Archibald Donnington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1

As I am sure you are aware, it's not about black books, NADA, or anything else but market value. What are the comparable cars to yours SELLING for, not asking. If you have those numbers, no dealer can argue with fact.

Regardless, beautiful car and congrats on the decision to keep it going forward.
      04-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #10
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Options don't really get you much in trade in value. Better to have a low optioned 35i than a heavily optioned 28i, strictly in trade in value terms.
The thing is, mine is one of the first few that arrived in Canada. This car was built for one of my friends who works for BMW Canada and was fully loaded and I got it when arrived. The car was on the road before the year 2012 showed up. At that time there was no 35i and no M packages neither. It was la crème de la crème at that time.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #11
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
The thing is, mine is one of the first few that arrived in Canada. This car was built for one of my friends who works for BMW Canada and was fully loaded and I got it when arrived. The car was on the road before the year 2012 showed up. At that time there was no 35i and no M packages neither. It was la crème de la crème at that time.
Being an early adopter never works out if you're overly concerned with resale value. The first run of a new model or major redesign rarely hold value as well as the later production years. (Which is just another reason I'm picking up a 2015 X1 rather than waiting for a 2016.)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #12
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Just keep the car, a new one is going to set you back tens of thousands, better the car you know.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:02 PM   #13
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
Just keep the car, a new one is going to set you back tens of thousands, better the car you know.
This, 1,000x this.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #14
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevette View Post
You spend a lot of time just to go in circles. Yeah, a dealer makes a profit on the trade-in too. Big news flash.

BTW, your car is beautiful.
I can not say that I was running in circles, I was never convinced that I should let it go. I just played with the idea, I am not disappointed in any means with my car. Just thinking to have a newer car
Thank you for the appreciation. I really love my cars and keep them pristine.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #15
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Yep, I know the car. Actually it has no issues, the brakes are new... I just need to do some coding to change some things, like doors that are not opening when stop....

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvius View Post
Being an early adopter never works out if you're overly concerned with resale value. The first run of a new model or major redesign rarely hold value as well as the later production years. (Which is just another reason I'm picking up a 2015 X1 rather than waiting for a 2016.)
There was no choice for me, we were waiting a long time for X1 to show up, my family in Europe bought it when they arrived there and we loved it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #16
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

GLA45 or Macan S are the most likely replacements for ours, with the LCI 440i GC as a bit of an outsider.
Mercedes it is not into my books. First I do not like their design, secondly they kinda rust a lot, all my friends with Mercedes are disappointed in this regard.
Macan is so and so, however, regardless how it sounds, I am bored to death by the same cliché design of Porsche.
Not the last, at that price point I can buy two cars...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:26 PM   #17
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus
Quote:

Mercedes it is not into my books. First I do not like their design, secondly they kinda rust a lot, all my friends with Mercedes are disappointed in this regard.
Macan is so and so, however, regardless how it sounds, I am bored to death by the same clich design of Porsche.
Not the last, at that price point I can buy two cars...
I can't see complaining about Porsche design while owning a current BMW. Aside from the ridiculous amount of buttons on the center console, they get it pretty close to spot on.

If you like it in a more boring package, the SQ5 is nice too.

Things don't rust here, I could likely drive an unpainted, unprimed car for thirty years down here. Snow is for suckers.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #18
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Snow is for suckers.
LOL, thanks man...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #19
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

42°C heat is also for suckers, it's not like I'm any better off.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #20
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald Donnington View Post
As I am sure you are aware, it's not about black books, NADA, or anything else but market value. What are the comparable cars to yours SELLING for, not asking. If you have those numbers, no dealer can argue with fact.

Regardless, beautiful car and congrats on the decision to keep it going forward.
I did, and proved that mine will really worth a 3-4000 difference. But they are too greedy.
Anyway, I had a gentleman that wants the car and offered me the 36000 mark with all 9 wheels (I have a new fifth M wheel as well), but I find out that I cannot get what I have anymore (see first post), and to buy a 3.5 with M package will be more money which I can not justify since my car is like new.
My wife said that she will love to keep this bad boy (she never wanted to sell it anyway) and put the difference towards my next M car.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #21
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
My wife said that she will love to keep this bad boy (she never wanted to sell it anyway) and put the difference towards my next M car.
Wife is always right!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 10:20 PM   #22
YYCADM
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1

You're ALWAYS going to do far better selling privately than you will on trade-in. Any dealer, regardless of whether it's BMW or anyone else, is never going to give you more than low-end wholesale price for your trade-in, while never EVER selling you new at anything less than low-end retail pricing. Most (all?) dealers make their money on service first, reselling trade-ins and selling new vehicles second. In most cases their margins on new cars are pretty minimal and fairly fixed, where they can, in the right circumstances, make a pretty decent buck on a used trade-in.
It's always amazed me how many people will trade-in car after car at a dealership, complain bitterly each time about how badly they got screwed, and two or three years later do it all over again.
Appreciate 0