XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
senwar
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 x20drive

Selling up

Well after only 14 months I've decided to chop my X1 in. Just got a little bored of it and fancy a change. To be honest, its been a fairly spur of the moment decision but once I decide on something I stick to it.

Have any of the UK guys had any experience of getting quotes from BMW to buy back the car? I actually did similar with my 120d M sport but ended up trading it in anyway. I've got a rough idea of what I'm looking for.

As for replacement - I'm completely changing - on the verge of ordering a TT diesel coupe. Funnily enough I ordered a TT in 2007 but cancelled it and ended up buying a Z4MC. However the diesel really appeals to me now. I had looked at a Q5 (bland and expensive) and an A5 but they no longer do 2.0 TDI quattro models (from MY12) so wrote that off.

If anyone fancies a great X1 x drive at a decent price - drop me a line!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 318d GT M Sport

Am trading in my own x1 and going for a 1 series
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 02:32 AM   #3
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by senwar View Post
Well after only 14 months I've decided to chop my X1 in. Just got a little bored of it and fancy a change.

Have any of the UK guys had any experience of getting quotes from BMW to buy back the car?

As for replacement - I'm completely changing - on the verge of ordering a TT diesel coupe. Funnily enough I ordered a TT in 2007 but cancelled it and ended up buying a Z4MC.
Sorry to hear that you've decided to sell . That was the position that I found myself in before I found out how much the 'cost of change' would be. My solution was to create the car I had wanted in the first place by having the Msport modifications carried out. Since having the work done I'm a lot happier with the car

I've also had experience of ownership of three Audi TT's. Two series ones and one of the first series two in the country. I can't deny that the mk2 was a good car but my experience was not good....Shortly after buying the car I was nearly killed on three occasions due to an electrical fault on the immobiliser cutting out and locking up the engine after it had got warm, on a blind bend on an A road! Same time, same place three days running. Audi had been brilliant when selling me the car, but the aftersales service was worse than bad. The car came back after a week 'in their care' with significant additional mileage on the clock, a chip on the paintwork on the edge of the drivers door and a scuffed alloy. The problems were fixed but after that the car never felt special again so I traded it in.

I think if I were to trade in my X1 I would be investigating Mercedes and perhaps the Nissan 260Z. Did get offered a really nice low mileage Marcus Mantara Spyder V8 4.0 ltr this weekend as a second car and am very tempted. 0 > 60 in under 4.5 secs. Still really like Porsche though!

Last edited by Mulberry; 11-07-2011 at 05:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 03:53 AM   #4
senwar
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry View Post
Sorry to hear that you've decided to sell . That was the position that I found myself in before I found out how much the 'cost of change' would be. My solution was to create the car I had wanted in the first place by having the Msport modifications carried out. Since having the work done I'm a lot happier with the car

I've also had experience of ownership of three Audi TT's. Two series ones and one of the first series twos in the country. I can't deny that the mk2 was a good car but my experience was not good....Shortly after buying the car I was nearly killed on three occasions due to an electrical fault on the immobiliser cutting out and locking up the engine after it had got warm, on a blind bend on an A road! Same time, same place three days running. Audi had been brilliant when selling me the car, but the aftersales service was worse than bad. The car came back after a week 'in their care' with significant additional mileage on the clock, a chip on the paintwork on the edge of the drivers door and a scuffed alloy. The problems were fixed but after that the car never felt special again so I traded it in.

I think if I were to trade in my X1 I would be investigating Mercedes and perhaps the Nissan 260Z. Did get offered a really nice low mileage Marcus Mantara Spyder V8 4.0 ltr this weekend as a second car and am very tempted. 0 > 60 in under 4.5 secs. Still really like Porsche though!
Crikey - that's not good and sorry to hear of these issues - quite scary too!

I've had a TT myself before and Audi after sales wasn't the best I agree. I had a similar problem with a dealer - they had the car for a couple of days to fix a problem, and whilst in their care, a tarpaulin fell on it in the workshop and damaged the rear wing. They were honest enough and fixed it but it always felt like damaged goods from then on and I got shut shortly afterwards.

As this is my 5th BMW in a row, I've decided I fancy a change as to be honest, I don't think I've ever really settled with the X1. I really can't stand the gearbox - have never liked it, and a few other things are frustrating me. I did consider an M sport model X1 but decided against it primarily as I just want something different.

I've considered a number of options - and quite a mixture of vehicle types:

Audi Q5/A5/TT
Mercedes C-Class Coupe
Jaguar XF
Range Rover Evoque

I've written the Q5/A5 off for reasons mentioned previously. The Merc and Jag - both RWD and don't want that again (this was the reason I got the X in the first place as wanted 4wd). Shame though because I can categorically say I'd have bought a c-class coupe otherwise as the price/standard spec is excellent. The Evoque - I love it, but I'm not sure its worth the money.

I've always said I'll have a Porsche and still fancy a Cayman S - but not yet and same reason as the Merc/Jag - rwd.

The TT ticks all the right boxes for me at the moment, and I only intend to keep for 2yrs. If I change my opinion re: rwd I will certainly go for the Merc.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 04:48 AM   #5
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

The Mercedes C class coupe is what I was thinking about. I also keep forgetting the Jag. For me though I need four wheel drive because of where I live (if it snows it's almost impossible to get out of the village if you don't have it). What about an A3 with four wheel drive?

Have fun choosing.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 06:02 AM   #6
senwar
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry View Post
The Mercedes C class coupe is what I was thinking about. I also keep forgetting the Jag. For me though I need four wheel drive because of where I live (if it snows it's almost impossible to get out of the village if you don't have it). What about an A3 with four wheel drive?

Have fun choosing.
Thanks.

Not a massive fan of the A3. Although I like it, its just 'OK'. Saying that, I still think the Mk2 TT is pretty fugly at the front too! But I do like the black edition ones. The c class coupe is lovely - very classy and fantastic spec for the money.

Although I'm not in desperate need of 4wd, I want it - can't have another year like I did in 2009 (which made me decide to get the X1).

Have managed to get at least 8% off a TT, and have gone back saying I want more (drivethedeal offering approx 11%). Fingers crossed I'll get a decent p/ex price.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
senwar
Private
Rep

Car now ordered, March delivery. Been offered £21,500 best price for mine but that's based on selling it now. Waiting to hear back from Sytner buyers to see how much they'd buy it for.

Might look at selling privately - would be happy with £22,000 of I could get it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
senwar
Private
Rep

Well, surprisingly quicker than I expected, but have this afternoon handed the car over to Sytner group. Got a cracking price above what I said I'd be happy with on the proviso I let it go quickly.

Didn't want to move this quick as I'm now carless, but as I say, this was too good to turn down. Not the best time to give up a 4x4 but a very good time to be trying to sell one.

Frustratingly, the dealership I dropped it off at earlier (which was Land Rover) had a TT black edition diesel coupe in, on a 60 plate. Would have bought/traded in for that had I seen it earlier as there's quite a saving on it. Bugger. Oh well.

Have enjoyed my time with the X1 but wasn't sad to hand it over today. Time to look for a temporary car for the next 4 months now.

Arrivederci all.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 04:46 AM   #9
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by senwar View Post
Well, surprisingly quicker than I expected, but have this afternoon handed the car over to Sytner group. Got a cracking price above what I said I'd be happy with on the proviso I let it go quickly.

Didn't want to move this quick as I'm now carless, but as I say, this was too good to turn down. Not the best time to give up a 4x4 but a very good time to be trying to sell one.

Frustratingly, the dealership I dropped it off at earlier (which was Land Rover) had a TT black edition diesel coupe in, on a 60 plate. Would have bought/traded in for that had I seen it earlier as there's quite a saving on it. Bugger. Oh well.

Have enjoyed my time with the X1 but wasn't sad to hand it over today. Time to look for a temporary car for the next 4 months now.

Arrivederci all.
Hi Senwar, sorry to see you go. It was great chatting with you and thanks for all your contributions to this forum. You were one of the "early adopters" if I remember correctly.

Sounds like you have some great ideas for your next car. How about a Carrera 4S (seriously)? If I remember correctly you have already owned a Cayman so a 3-4 year old 4S would be about the same price as a 1 year old Cayman S. Or wait for the Cajun

Good luck with your choice of car and let us know what you went for.

Arrivederci Senwar
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
senwar
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Hi Senwar, sorry to see you go. It was great chatting with you and thanks for all your contributions to this forum. You were one of the "early adopters" if I remember correctly.

Sounds like you have some great ideas for your next car. How about a Carrera 4S (seriously)? If I remember correctly you have already owned a Cayman so a 3-4 year old 4S would be about the same price as a 1 year old Cayman S. Or wait for the Cajun

Good luck with your choice of car and let us know what you went for.

Arrivederci Senwar
Thanks Mario.

Yep, an early adopter, and did enjoy my time in the X1 but I think I just missed that sports car feeling. Would have liked to have had a weekend fun car plus the convenience of the X1 but wasn't logical.

Would looooove to have moved onto a carrera that's for sure. Not had a cayman (my previous but one car was a Z4MC which is the closest I've been) and for certain, one day, I will definitely have such a car. I've promised myself that and will stick to it. One day!

For now, I spent 3 days carless until this evening I bought a 51 plate Fiat Punto 1.2! it's a massive change that's for sure. It's my 4 month temporary car - only cost me 825 quid and I'd have lost more than that had I kept the x1 for 4 months so pretty happy.

Enjoyed being on here even though I've not been totally active but seen and heard some interesting things. Thanks again all.
Appreciate 0