Biggest BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20d

Wink My First X1

Hi all,

I'm a new member on the BMW X1 Forum

I collected my X1 exactly three weeks ago. It was a ex demonstration model with 6,000 km (3,728 miles) on the clock - 2014 model. The car in question is a sDrive 20d automatic.

I bought a brand new BMW 116i (F21) in January of this year but never connected with the car. I also had a couple of issues with the car. At one point I was given a loan vehicle (X1) and was sold.

I'm not too sure how the specifications of the cars differ from country to country (I'm situated in South Africa) but I believe mine is a "basic" model. It's been fitted with the sports leather steering wheel + paddle shift, automatic transmission, leathertec, panoramic roof and rear PDC.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
PauloB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 M xdrive28

congrats!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Biggest BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauloB View Post
congrats!
Thank you PauloB ...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

Gratz!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 11:35 PM   #5
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Nice car. The 20d doesn't pack a lot of horses, but it compensates by having very good torque. So while you might not do 0-50 the fastest, it excels at quick passes when you're already at speed. The 2WD is also more fun to drive, and in your neck of the woods you won't have to worry too much about snowstorms
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 11:48 PM   #6
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
Nice car. The 20d doesn't pack a lot of horses, but it compensates by having very good torque. So while you might not do 0-50 the fastest, it excels at quick passes when you're already at speed. The 2WD is also more fun to drive, and in your neck of the woods you won't have to worry too much about snowstorms
Really? Every diesel I've driven does quite poorly at highway passing. Did you drive a 20d that is different than a conventional diesel?

Typically they are good at low speed scooting around.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 11:56 PM   #7
Biggest BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post
Really? Every diesel I've driven does quite poorly at highway passing. Did you drive a 20d that is different than a conventional diesel?

Typically they are good at low speed scooting around.
Coming from a 2014 BMW 116i which had the 100kW (134hp) Twin Power motor I find the X1 20d extremely quick off the line.
As for highway passing theirs initially some delay, but once its kicked down into a lower gear I find it very quick.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
It's a newer generation of diesels. The newer 20d and 25d models from BMW are really quite quite agile and responsive, and a far cry from what people think of when they hear diesel.
Yes, I've driven one (not X1, but similar engine), and I was really impressed with how easily it overtook, even with load and uphill. So I wish we could get the 20d/25d models here in the US too. I wouldn't want one for city traffic, though.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

When I worked in Germany, it was a rude surprise to my American assumptions as to just how fast diesels were on the Autobahn. The first few times I picked petrol motors from the carpool, but I quickly learned my lesson.

Nice car, color looks great.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #10
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've only recently driven the current 3 series 328d and various VW's with their 2.0 TDI. All were good off the line due to their abundance of torque and can travel well at higher speeds, all did not so well when attempting to pass once already at speed due to their lack of hp.

I'd still be very happy to own the OP's car and hope the next gen x1 has more available engine choices for the US. Its a great ride and certainly a nice upgrade over the F21. Although I'm still a F21 fan but with a better engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 11:59 PM   #11
Biggest BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
When I worked in Germany, it was a rude surprise to my American assumptions as to just how fast diesels were on the Autobahn. The first few times I picked petrol motors from the carpool, but I quickly learned my lesson.

Nice car, color looks great.
Thanks Red Bread - I also love the colour
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 12:00 AM   #12
Biggest BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
It's a newer generation of diesels. The newer 20d and 25d models from BMW are really quite quite agile and responsive, and a far cry from what people think of when they hear diesel.
Yes, I've driven one (not X1, but similar engine), and I was really impressed with how easily it overtook, even with load and uphill. So I wish we could get the 20d/25d models here in the US too. I wouldn't want one for city traffic, though.
Why do you say you wouldn't want a diesel for city traffic Grovsnus?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 12:07 AM   #13
Biggest BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
I've only recently driven the current 3 series 328d and various VW's with their 2.0 TDI. All were good off the line due to their abundance of torque and can travel well at higher speeds, all did not so well when attempting to pass once already at speed due to their lack of hp.

I'd still be very happy to own the OP's car and hope the next gen x1 has more available engine choices for the US. Its a great ride and certainly a nice upgrade over the F21. Although I'm still a F21 fan but with a better engine.
I've got to admit the F21 is a fantastic looking car! I was in desperate need of a better motor though

Here is South Africa we've only got the option of the 135kW (181hp) two litre diesel. As for petrol models we've got the option of the naturally aspirated 18i and then the TwinPower 20i and 28i. Unfortunately we don't get the six cylinder 35i here in the X1
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 07:11 AM   #14
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest BMW Fan View Post
Why do you say you wouldn't want a diesel for city traffic Grovsnus?
Two things:

- Diesels take a while to warm up, and short hops aren't good for them.

- Once they do warm up, crawling traffic isn't good for them either, especially during hot summer days. The mixture becomes too rich due to lack of oxygen. (A gasoline engine can easier compensate by adjusting the ignition timing.)

But for eating miles, I'd gladly take a diesel any day. Modern clean fuel diesel engines are great and not sluggish like diesels of yore. And they don't smell either (except in the US, where much of the diesel is still a high sulphur inferior grade that would ruin a European engine not modified for US conditions).
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #15
willowlamb
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 x28i

My 1st BMW. I have a few problems that I'm trying to find out if others have. I have a 2014 X1 x28i with the M sport package.

-Very noisy when I first start it up. It sounds like a diesel and the muffler seems to rattle. I asked the dealer and they said this is normal. I get that it's a turbo..etc. but it sounds like some old clunker.

-For some reason the car came with every option but the dealer did not order XEON lights. The regular lights are just simply horrible. I have to use High Beams to see the roads at night. Do other X1 owners feel the same?

Also can anyone confirm or point me in the right direction for instructions for iphone 5s and the idrive system. The button on my steering wheel does nothing to activate siri and from the posts it appears that some owners say holding the button in will activate siri. Mine just activates the horrible in system voice command. I obviously can and do hit the home button on my iphone to activate it but even when I do the voice sounds very static over the speakers in the car. Sounds like an overseas call.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #16
ScottE
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 xDrive 28i Mineral Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowlamb
My 1st BMW. I have a few problems that I'm trying to find out if others have. I have a 2014 X1 x28i with the M sport package.

-Very noisy when I first start it up. It sounds like a diesel and the muffler seems to rattle. I asked the dealer and they said this is normal. I get that it's a turbo..etc. but it sounds like some old clunker.

-For some reason the car came with every option but the dealer did not order XEON lights. The regular lights are just simply horrible. I have to use High Beams to see the roads at night. Do other X1 owners feel the same?

Also can anyone confirm or point me in the right direction for instructions for iphone 5s and the idrive system. The button on my steering wheel does nothing to activate siri and from the posts it appears that some owners say holding the button in will activate siri. Mine just activates the horrible in system voice command. I obviously can and do hit the home button on my iphone to activate it but even when I do the voice sounds very static over the speakers in the car. Sounds like an overseas call.
I can speak to the noisy startup on the 28i. It's a fact if life, I'm afraid. It sounds positively agricultural, especially in the confines of a tight space like a garage. I can understand the concern. After 30 seconds or so it settles down, but I've had people ask me how I like my diesel. I can't argue with the performance, though. Definitely a trade off I'm willing to accept.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #17
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Direct injection engines can rattle at start up, its the injectors.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #18
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

DI and the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) running at startup to get the cats up to temp lead to the noise. It's normal.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #19
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

I'm curious to what the noise is after the engine and electronics have been turned off - it sounds like muffled AC slowly fading out over a minute or two. Is there a heavy flywheel somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #20
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus
I'm curious to what the noise is after the engine and electronics have been turned off - it sounds like muffled AC slowly fading out over a minute or two. Is there a heavy flywheel somewhere?
Should be the coolant pump still running. It can run for about fifteen minutes after you turn the key off.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #21
Biggest BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep

[QUOTE=willowlamb;16173735]My 1st BMW. I have a few problems that I'm trying to find out if others have. I have a 2014 X1 x28i with the M sport package.

I can only comment on two of your questions Willowlamb ...

Firstly my previous car (BMW 116i) which also had a direct injection TwinPower motor was terrible at start up. Very noisy and ruff. Apparently its normal. I actually find my diesel X1 much smoother on start up

As for the xenon lights I too was unfortunate enough to get a car with halogen lights. If I compare them to my wife's car which also has halogen lights the X1 isn't bad! I find if you drive with the front fog lights on you get a nice throw of light in front of the car. However, I would have preferred xenon. Pity you can't add them at a later stage without costing a small fortune or affecting your motorplan!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 02:51 AM   #22
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowlamb View Post

Yeah, there is a reason BMW is using active sound these days...
A coworker saw me in the wife's X1 a few days ago and asked "did you get a diesel? I thought it was American spec?"