Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
Kennyboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 Xdrive 28i

28i Xdrive steering feel individual differences

I've mentioned this issue in my other post. Over the weekend I took out a 2014 28i Xdrive sport -line as a loaner car from my service center. The car has only 1800 miles on it and is in perfect shape, well-loaded without the navi. As soon as I started driving it, I noticed its steering was way lighter than my own 2014 28i Xdrive, a X-line. I had to get out the car to see if it was a Sdrive, but no, it was indeed a Xdrive model. The steering of this car was nearly as light as a new 3 series. My own 28i's steering feel has always been very heavy since day one, and I believe most of you 28i owners know what I meant by it being heavy. Upon returning the loaner and getting into my car today, I immediately felt the steering difference again. It was like I was driving two completely different models. How could two identical Xdrive 28i has of the same model year has completely different steering feels? I believe the Sport line and X lines are only different in cosmetic issues. Both my car and the loaner runs on the same 18 inch Pirelli sp tires. Now I feel totally confused.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
punchyninja
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 x28i 2014

thats the servotronic steering, vs NOT having sevrotronic. At higher speeds they should feel about the same, but at lower speeds the servotronic will make the steering feel lighter.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
Kennyboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchyninja View Post
thats the servotronic steering, vs NOT having sevrotronic. At higher speeds they should feel about the same, but at lower speeds the servotronic will make the steering feel lighter.
Was that optional on the 28i? Why mine does not have it? I am not aware of which option or package would bring or remove it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
3Bims
Private
Rep
Drives: XXX

It was a standalone option for the 28i...standard for the 35. Not part of a package.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
Shredjim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 x28 X1

So Kenny - you never said which one you like better? This thread made me wonder if I had servotronic on my x1 - or not? Plus I've read lots of posts in other threads about heavy steering etc.. So I got out my specifications document and yes my xdrive 28 does indeed have Servotronic. I still think it has a great steering connected to the road feeling when compared to my last 2 vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
Kennyboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredjim View Post
So Kenny - you never said which one you like better? This thread made me wonder if I had servotronic on my x1 - or not? Plus I've read lots of posts in other threads about heavy steering etc.. So I got out my specifications document and yes my xdrive 28 does indeed have Servotronic. I still think it has a great steering connected to the road feeling when compared to my last 2 vehicles.
The loaner, with the servotronic as I am just informed, felt great...the steering does not feel disconnected or numb like those on the 328i. My own 28i felt a bit too heavy at below 25mph, but myself never felt it being a problem...although one hand maneuver can be tiring. Above 25mph both felt about the same. I would say the servotronic is worth considering...although I never knew about it when I bought the car. I just went through the build and did not spot it from the option list either. Maybe it is something like the shift paddles...you just happen to get one with it equiped by chance lol
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
Kennyboy
Private
United_States
Rep

And is it now standard for 2015? I just checked the BMW USA website, and it is listed under the standard specifications section, not in the options list.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
3Bims
Private
Rep
Drives: XXX

Correct. Many prefer the car w/o servotronic. Some complain that steering is heavy as you mentioned. Either way, my view is that these little station wagons have good road feel and handle well.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #9
punchyninja
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 x28i 2014

I test drove with and without, and to be honest, I thought it was nice with it. Lot of folks like it heavier though. Reviews seemed to go back and forth, often saying if you were coming from another brand (subaru, toyota, etc) that you wouldn't noticed it, but if you came from an older 3 series it would feel too light.

It was an option in 2014, one local dealer had no cars with it, as they hated them. Another dealer had it installed on all the cars. go figure.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #10
salzo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Speaking of steering... Do any of you have a slight clunk (best heard with engine off, turn back and forth (left to right to left to right) in slow speed steering? Any info on a solution? I've only got 4000 miles... is it nature of beast or something wrong?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #11
RouterGuy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 Coupe

It became standard midway through 2014.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #12
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by salzo View Post
Speaking of steering... Do any of you have a slight clunk (best heard with engine off, turn back and forth (left to right to left to right) in slow speed steering? Any info on a solution? I've only got 4000 miles... is it nature of beast or something wrong?
if you go at slow speed with the engine off as you said, heavy clunking is the least you can expect.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
salzo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

The sound is when not moving...
Appreciate 0