Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Alexe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

My Sparkling Bronze E84 xDrive 118d

Hi all,

I took delivery of my new car last saturday. i'm liking how it feels on the road!

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6661/dsc7284.jpg

I ordered some nice extras like the hi-fi sound system, cruise control, multifunctional steering wheel, park distance control and automatic air conditioning.

I didn't go all the way because i was on a budget Navigation with idrive was definatily too expensive... Without the navigation it seemed like a waste of money to order the bluetooth option and the 6FL option. I did not want to spend money on a useless radio unit upgrade and spend another 50 bucks on an ipod cable just to control my phone and ipod on a two-line display!

Instead, I ordered the portable navigation pro. It still has to be installed but it will allow me to make phone calls using bluetooth, it's a clean install, and it uses the on-board speakers.

I am also looking to fit the bmw ipod kit for radio business. I would like to be able to use the controls on my steering wheel to browse my ipod, and it would charge my ipod too. I have found the installations instruction, but should check how to remove the radio and glove compartment box. I wanted to fit it in myself because it looks quite easy, and also because i want to put my ipod in the glove compartment and not in the center console underneath the air conditioning unit as it says in the manual. I don't want my ipod to be visible all the time, or having to remove it after every ride...

ciao!

Alexe
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
wyresoft
--X1--
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E84 X1 sDrive 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexe View Post
Hi all,

I am also looking to fit the bmw ipod kit for radio business. I would like to be able to use the controls on my steering wheel to browse my ipod, and it would charge my ipod too. I have found the installations instruction, but should check how to remove the radio and glove compartment box. I wanted to fit it in myself because it looks quite easy, and also because i want to put my ipod in the glove compartment and not in the center console underneath the air conditioning unit as it says in the manual. I don't want my ipod to be visible all the time, or having to remove it after every ride...

ciao!

Alexe
I'm with you on this one Alex - I too want to fit one in the glove box - and I'd rather do it myself - where did you find the instructions and can you post them on here so we can all see them??
(Do you have to recode the radio to tell it it has something on the connection?)
      06-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
Alexe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Hi,

here is the link to the manual: http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0...ZmUyMjgy&hl=en

i've got some good news and some bad news...

the good news is, the manual explains very well how to install the kit and it does not seem that hard. On top of that, the manuals says no coding is required to get you playing around with your ipod once you installed the retrofit kit.

However, in order to install the kit you should remove the air conditioning unit, the radio and the glove box... the does not says how... anyone can help?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexe View Post
Hi,

here is the link to the manual: http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0...ZmUyMjgy&hl=en

i've got some good news and some bad news...

the good news is, the manual explains very well how to install the kit and it does not seem that hard. On top of that, the manuals says no coding is required to get you playing around with your ipod once you installed the retrofit kit.

However, in order to install the kit you should remove the air conditioning unit, the radio and the glove box... the does not says how... anyone can help?
Watch out for your warranty, colleague of mine installed an after market sound system on his new merc. A year later his electrics acted up (non-related to stereo) and they refused to fix it. Not saying BMW will be the same but have a word with them before you do any serious work.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Best of luck with your new ride!

Interesting color...does it have a purplish hue or is it just the photo? Reminds me of a lighter shade of Sparkling Graphite.
Appreciate 0