Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

07-03-2022, 07:26 AM   #1
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Open Boot Lid w/ Batter Disconnected?

I got sidetracked from doing some maintenance on my X1 (35i) so it's been napping for a while on my quick jack. I had the battery disconnected and was thinking of pulling it and putting it on a battery tender. Apparently the small towel I used to keep the boot lid from latching shut shifted so the lid is latched. Is there way a manually release it or do I need to crawl inside and reconnect the battery?
      07-03-2022, 09:22 AM   #2
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

I believe i've seen a manual release inside the hatch on mine? Never used it, not sure if it's electronic or mechanical. If you search, I know I've seen easy fixes for this, but don't know them off the top of my head, as I haven't needed them yet
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 02:43 PM   #3
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
I believe i've seen a manual release inside the hatch on mine? Never used it, not sure if it's electronic or mechanical. If you search, I know I've seen easy fixes for this, but don't know them off the top of my head, as I haven't needed them yet
I'll have to take a look. I don't recall seeing anything but, then again, I never had a reason to check. I just know I haven't seen a safety release w/ a goow in the dark pull fob like the trunk of cars/sedans.

As over-engineered as our cars are, there's bound to be something.
      07-07-2022, 10:09 PM   #4
MauX1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
I got sidetracked from doing some maintenance on my X1 (35i) so it's been napping for a while on my quick jack. I had the battery disconnected and was thinking of pulling it and putting it on a battery tender. Apparently the small towel I used to keep the boot lid from latching shut shifted so the lid is latched. Is there way a manually release it or do I need to crawl inside and reconnect the battery?
Probably you have already opened the boot lid. In case you have not, there is little rectangular tab on the internal cover of the lid. You have to pull it as it is attached to a wire that releases the latch.

This tab looks like a 1"x 1/2" bolt cover

Hope this helps you or someone in the future
Appreciate 1
bosstones1154.00
      07-10-2022, 01:35 PM   #5
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauX1 View Post
Probably you have already opened the boot lid. In case you have not, there is little rectangular tab on the internal cover of the lid. You have to pull it as it is attached to a wire that releases the latch.

This tab looks like a 1"x 1/2" bolt cover

Hope this helps you or someone in the future
Indeed! I had left all the doors unlocked so I opened a rear door, climbed up/in, and dropped the back seat to get access. There was more slack on the line than I figured but it did the trick.
Attached Images