04-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Red face Purchasing help

As I get closer to the end of my 14 day shift, I'm getting prepared to head into BMW to purchase an X1.

The SA I have been dealing with about info and such has stated that they will require a non-refundable deposit in the amount of $5000 to order the car.

I'm kind of ok with that, except I'm a bit scared because some of you all on here have stated ordering a car with xx option, and it not having xx option. Namely, the shift paddles, which I wouldn't be upset either way.

Anyhow, this will be my first time dealing with BMW as I've always bought Fords in the past because of the family discount I get. Right now, Ford doesn't produce anything I want so it's time for a big change.

What are, if any, the tactics I should go in with? What are your experiences with getting the dealer to actually deal? I've never had to negotiate a lower price as I've always got my cars at highly discounted costs through Ford. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I guess I should also state that I'm looking into a 28i sportline, loaded with everything but nav. Nav is a possibility if I can get it at the right price.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

I ordered a 2014 X1 X-Line, only had to give the dealer $500 and the order was place. Ordered, built and delivered tome in 6 weeks. I would not give them 5K !
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

No way should you do that, that's insane. X1's are not M6 Individuals.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Chrakaknox
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 35i M-sport

$500 max. to order. Configure your x1 on edmunds.com. It will give you the msrp, invoice, and market value price based on your zip code....
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
aramosc
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 S-line 28i

I gave a $1000 fully refundable deposit. I'm sure $500 would've sufficed if I had insisted.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

I walked away from a dealership that wouldn't put in writing that my $500 deposit was fully refundable. $500 is bad enough, but $5,000 is ludicrous! In some states deposits must be refundable by law. I'd look into it before offering any deposit. If they insist on a deposit and your state doesn't protect you, I recommend that you try to negotiate the price down. $500 to $1,000 seems reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
Ex-One
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ex-One

He's in Canada eh.

$5000 - wouldn't do it. Call BMW of Edmonton
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

$5,000? That's not normal.

You haven't ordered the car until you put your signature on the order form with all the specs. Make sure you read every single line on it, and don't tell them in phone or in person if anything is amiss, but on the order form itself, initialized and signed.

Also note that if you don't get nav, you can't get anything near fully loaded, as quite a few of the options depend on the nav system. No audio streaming (USB or bluetooth). No parking assist. No BMW Assist. No satellite radio. No Harman Kardon sound system.

So unless you plan on extra set of wheels+tires, and half the available accessories like roof rack, roof box, carbon fiber mirror covers and all that kind of stuff, it'll be a less than average loaded 28i, which makes the $5,000 non-refundable deposit even more surprising. Find another dealer if you can - this one appears to think that you are desperate to buy. Don't be.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

I can't speak for Canada dealerships, but in the US you can almost always walk away up until the time you take delivery, for any reason, and get all your money back. If someone ever posted a US dealer pulling a $5k non refundable deposit game on a non special order (which is different than ordering from general available options), everyone would be yelling for you to run not walk away. Maybe it's different in Canada but $5k is way to much IMO.

I've learned that anyone who wants an unfair deposit has a reason to ask for it so if you aren't the reason then he is and I'd be cautious.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
peter123
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
...Also note that if you don't get nav... No audio streaming (USB or bluetooth)... No BMW Assist...
Mainly right, however BMW Assist eCall is standard in 2014. USB audio connection is standard, as is Bluetooth for hands-free calling, but maybe that's not what you were referring to (there's no hard drive without iDrive, for sure).
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 05:21 AM   #12
sfillion
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive28i & 128i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-One View Post
He's in Canada eh.

$5000 - wouldn't do it. Call BMW of Edmonton
My X1 2012 was my third BMW and I never gave any deposit... and i'm in Canada :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #13
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I was never keen on the $5000 deposit. That was something I was going to try to get knocked down anyways. What are other things I should be asking for? Undercoating and things like that aren't worth getting so I know to stay away from that.

I've also been told not to tell my SA exactly how much I'll be putting down in hopes that he will lower the price into the range I've given, that way when I talk to the finance guys, I'll get a lower price due to a higher down payment.

As far as other dealers, there's 2 in my city. One is pretty close to where I live (who I've been talking with) and the other is on the opposite side of the city. I guess if these guys try and screw me around I could try the other guys. If not, guess I'll be buying something different.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
stonex1
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' X1, 02' Chev S10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
I was never keen on the $5000 deposit. That was something I was going to try to get knocked down anyways. What are other things I should be asking for? Undercoating and things like that aren't worth getting so I know to stay away from that.

I've also been told not to tell my SA exactly how much I'll be putting down in hopes that he will lower the price into the range I've given, that way when I talk to the finance guys, I'll get a lower price due to a higher down payment.

As far as other dealers, there's 2 in my city. One is pretty close to where I live (who I've been talking with) and the other is on the opposite side of the city. I guess if these guys try and screw me around I could try the other guys. If not, guess I'll be buying something different.
I would take a step back, and do some homework first.
Know exactly everything you want, and what price you'll pay before you go into order. Know everything.
Check out sites like carcostcanada.com or carsaver.ca
Find a Canadian 2014 build sheet, and double check every single option.

Get a quote from our SA first(it will probably be full MSRP), so that you'll know what all the extra crap will be. Tire taxes, theft crap, air conditioning tax, admin fees etc. etc. Once you have all that, then send in over email what YOU want to pay. Include every single option you want, even its a $0, but its a choice. For example, trim and rim style.
If they except it, then give them a deposit.
      04-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #15
sfillion
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive28i & 128i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
I would take a step back, and do some homework first.
Know exactly everything you want, and what price you'll pay before you go into order. Know everything.
Check out sites like carcostcanada.com or carsaver.ca
Find a Canadian 2014 build sheet, and double check every single option.

Get a quote from our SA first(it will probably be full MSRP), so that you'll know what all the extra crap will be. Tire taxes, theft crap, air conditioning tax, admin fees etc. etc. Once you have all that, then send in over email what YOU want to pay. Include every single option you want, even its a $0, but its a choice. For example, trim and rim style.
If they except it, then give them a deposit.
The best place I know to get the cost price in Canada is this web site : http://www.unhaggle.com/ and it's free.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #16
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

Quote:
As I get closer to the end of my 14 day shift, I'm getting prepared to head into BMW to purchase an X1.

The SA I have been dealing with about info and such has stated that they will require a non-refundable deposit in the amount of $5000 to order the car.

I'm kind of ok with that, except I'm a bit scared because some of you all on here have stated ordering a car with xx option, and it not having xx option. Namely, the shift paddles, which I wouldn't be upset either way.

Anyhow, this will be my first time dealing with BMW as I've always bought Fords in the past because of the family discount I get. Right now, Ford doesn't produce anything I want so it's time for a big change.

What are, if any, the tactics I should go in with? What are your experiences with getting the dealer to actually deal? I've never had to negotiate a lower price as I've always got my cars at highly discounted costs through Ford. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

5 grand seems to be a bit much. I only had to put down a 1 grand deposit.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #17
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I went to that website, unhaggle.com. Same price as if I went to BMW.ca, minus the destination and admin fees. Also tried other sites and didn't gain much info. Thanks for the help guys, I think I have a better idea as to what I can ask for.

Edit: Also, what exactly is european delivery?

Last edited by Twix; 04-26-2013 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #18
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Edit: Also, what exactly is european delivery?
Ultimate Driving Experience... 7% discount on the car if you fly over to Munich and drive it. Check the European Delivery forum on ... another bimmer site (not hard to find) and read up. Many people who are huge enthusiasts do this, though we often spend far more than the 7% we save for the trip. I'll be picking my X1 up in about a month and driving it through 7 countries in Europe. -- Likely one of the best trips I'll ever take in my life.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #19
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Ahhh ok, I thought that was what it was. I'll be going to Germany in September hopefully, but I don't think I'd want to pick my car up there lol. I intend on going with just my backpack.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #20
stonex1
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' X1, 02' Chev S10

Quote:
Ahhh ok, I thought that was what it was. I'll be going to Germany in September hopefully, but I don't think I'd want to pick my car up there lol. I intend on going with just my backpack.
Read up on the welt, and check it out. You may regret not picking up your car there if you happen to pass by it at the same time that your car is finished production.
Bring your backpack, walk around, pick up your car, drive it for a few days, and drop it off at port, then continue backpacking.
No discount in Canada, but the experience might be once in a life time!
      04-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #21
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
My SA told me 12 weeks at the most, which would be August. I'd love the opportunity to pick it up there, but I can't really live very long without wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #22
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Just another voice saying around here a 1K refundable deposit is pretty normal. My local dealership got stuck with an X1 a guy ordered then backed out of. (28i MSport)

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0