XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

Closed Thread

05-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #23
ddark13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 35i

i dont know why this thread turned into some sort of philosophical debate as to whether an 18 yr old deserves a new bmw. if he's a good, responsible kid and the parents have enough disposable income, then why not? its not like theyre looking into a M3 convertible...

as a new driver, i'd probably get him a nice but used model because its only a matter of time before an accident happens. that notwithstanding, the bmw x1 is a decent first car. maybe its a little too fast/sporty all things considered, i probably would have has a lot more accidents if i had one when i was first starting to drive. a volvo XC60, jeep grand cherokee V6 or touareg v6 would be a safer / more responsible choice IMO. the x1 is geared more towards aggressive driving and its a bit flashy for a teenager. its not the worst choice, just shop around and think about getting a car that does 0-60 closer to 8 or 9 seconds than 6.

Last edited by ddark13; 05-02-2013 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #24
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddark13 View Post
i dont know why this thread turned into some sort of philosophical debate as to whether an 18 yr old deserves a new bmw. if he's a good, responsible kid and the parents have enough disposable income, then why not?
Almost every parent believes their kid to be more responsible than other people's kids.
Unless the kids can prove how responsible they are to the satisfaction of not only their parents, I don't want them on the road in a 150 mph capable car.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #25
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMBC2015 View Post
Huh? I was 16 not too long ago. I never even considered driving even 11mph over the speed limit. Why? Because of what I was taught as a kid: patience, mindfulness, and sense are all virtues. I had absolutely no need nor desire to drive like some of you- pissed teenage chicks. And yes, I was given a fast car, to say the least. I don't mean to give a self-narrative here, but I guess that's the disconnect I'm seeing between the various opinions expressed in this thread and my beliefs.
You must think we are pretty naive if you expect us to believe that you're enough of a car enthusiast to actively seek out an online BMW forum yet would never even think of going over the speed limit.

Also, why the hell would you have bought a X35i over a x28i - the turbo barely even spins up by the time you're at 60.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #26
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMBC2015 View Post
I found this forum so I can get advice on issues I was having with my X1. A quick search would reveal this. Please search first next time.

I had no preference to buy the X35i or the 28i. I test drove the 35i, liked it, and so I bought it. I am not a car enthusiast by any stretch of the imagination.

Anything else?
Yeah - I did use the search. You're full of it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you
ersonally, I wanted a less aggressive and more sporty 3-series, and fell in love with the X1 the moment I saw it. Plus, it isn't something you see everyday, and definitely took that into consideration. Finally, I was not concerned with how many looks I will get, but wanted something that is appealing to me and fits my personality. The performance and handling sealed the deal. First BMW I've even sat in, so I'm still working on wiping off that sheepish grin I've had ever since the salesman handed me the keys. Needless to say, I think I made a pretty good purchase.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 05-02-2013 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #27
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Come on, I think it's commonly known that sheep can indeed grin while driving slow in the left lane.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #28
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Please send me the book, I'd be curious to see if it has pictures and pop up, furry animals.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread