XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
BMWBig6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive28i M Sport

X1 iDrive, same as what's in the X3/X4? When was it last updated?

I know BMW usually does a life cycle impulse (LCI) or "mid cycle refresh" to their products, but how does the currently available X1 iDrive compare to the newer BMW products? Is it a generation behind? I noticed that the handwriting input method (finger touch pad) is not available on the X1, so at minimum some features are not available/enabled (but they appear in other BMW products like the X3, etc.).

How old is the GUI interface in the X1, and when was it last updated?
Favorite Former Rides: 11 Ford F-150 Limited | 09 A4 S-Line Avant / 08 Audi TT S-Line / 03 Ford SVT Lightning / 01 Ford SVT Lightning / 93 BMW 740iL / 90 BMW 535iM / 86 Porsche 944 Turbo / 83 Porsche 944

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
I am not sure how outdated our version is. I don't miss anything in our version.
Just the NAV is so outdated it is not even funny.
I hate having to use the NAV on my phone while I have the expensive one sitting in the dash right in front of me.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
Tayrevey
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e84

It is indeed behind. The X1, with the E89 Z4, are the last of the 'e' generation and therefore do not have any of the exotic features of the 'f' generation. the data connection is woeful compared to the current X3, has very limited remote services (from the iOS app) . The X1 has a very stripped down version of idrive, with just the basics. it was last updated 2011 i think, but the maps are updated every year, but are still missing some roads around me
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Exactly. Our system is still tied to the E series cars. I'd assume the new G series 7er will usher in even newer stuff than the F series cars have now.

Coincidentally, the next X1 (F48) will likely be one of the last chassis to remain on the F series.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
jbc77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2013 X1 s28i

BMW recently updated iDrive on some F series cars starting with the 2013 model year. The iDrive in my X1 and my wife's 2012 X3 are virtually identical. Navigation differences are mainly due to the X3 having portions of the display on the screen in the F series instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 12:35 AM   #6
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

And we Australian customers are in for an even bigger disappointment. iDrive features are further stripped down for us - NO BMW Apps, NO integrated SIM so no Remote Services. Also, I have been having issue entering building number for highways like Pacific Hwy, Princes Hwy as the option greys out. Don't know if it's the older iDrive, outdated Maps or it is how it is I'm driving 2014 April make.

jaeezzy...

Last edited by jaeezzy; 08-20-2014 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 04:01 AM   #7
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
Also, I have been having issue entering building number for highways like Pacific Hwy, Princes Hwy as the option greys out. Don't know if it's the older iDrive, outdated Maps or it is how it is I'm driving 2014 April make.
My guess would be outdated maps. I think it's ridiculous that BMW charges a few thousand dollars for navi and then charges hundreds of dollars for map updates.
      08-20-2014, 07:04 AM   #8
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kleen View Post
My guess would be outdated maps. I think it's ridiculous that BMW charges a few thousand dollars for navi and then charges hundreds of dollars for map updates.
If that is the case then it will be a real rip off.. anyway will check this out with my dealer soon.

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #9
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

Quote:
That's crazy. In the US, Nav only costs $2000 and includes other nice features in the package like enhanced BT & USB, Smartphone integration, app services - plus more.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post
That's crazy. In the US, Nav only costs $2000 and includes other nice features in the package like enhanced BT & USB, Smartphone integration, app services - plus more.
Well, we all agreed to pay for the NAV and all the extras you are talking about.
But the point is that a $99 TomTom is way better than the BMW NAV that is supplied by TomTom.
So we are not getting what we paid for.

To add insult to injury, my 10 year old $99 TomTom ismore up-to-date than my 2014 BMW NAV.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #11
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
And we Australian customers are in for an even bigger disappointment. iDrive features are further stripped down for us - NO BMW Apps, NO integrated SIM so no Remote Services. Also, I have been having issue entering building number for highways like Pacific Hwy, Princes Hwy as the option greys out. Don't know if it's the older iDrive, outdated Maps or it is how it is I'm driving 2014 April make.
BMW payback for right-hand drive?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #12
BMWBig6
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks everyone for the responses. So exactly what advanced features are we missing in our iDrive interface?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc77 View Post
BMW recently updated iDrive on some F series cars starting with the 2013 model year. The iDrive in my X1 and my wife's 2012 X3 are virtually identical. Navigation differences are mainly due to the X3 having portions of the display on the screen in the F series instrument cluster.
I don't know how a 2012 X3 compares to the 2015 X3, but I did notice the iDrive controller on the 2015 X3/X4 had the touchpad on the round control knob so you can draw the outline of alphanumeric letters, etc. The X1 doesn't seem to have that.
Favorite Former Rides: 11 Ford F-150 Limited | 09 A4 S-Line Avant / 08 Audi TT S-Line / 03 Ford SVT Lightning / 01 Ford SVT Lightning / 93 BMW 740iL / 90 BMW 535iM / 86 Porsche 944 Turbo / 83 Porsche 944

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #13
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBig6 View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. So exactly what advanced features are we missing in our iDrive interface?

I don't know how a 2012 X3 compares to the 2015 X3, but I did notice the iDrive controller on the 2015 X3/X4 had the touchpad on the round control knob so you can draw the outline of alphanumeric letters, etc. The X1 doesn't seem to have that.
No X1 has that touch pad.

From what I have seen NBT (CIC - HIGH) has those fancy 3D, colorful interface where the colours look crisp compare to the X1's. I think it will be like looking at a 256K (those old low resolution mobile phone screen) and 16 million (high res. mobile screens). Although, CIC does have pretty high resolution screen I think it just doesn't support 16 million colour or sth. But, I could be wrong . I haven't actually used NBT in person but this is what I feel watching all those videos about NBT and using my X1's iDrive.

Other thing I noticed was the browser in NBT has option to enable/disable flash plugin and to open different tabs. While the X1's browser, you can only browse texts with some limited pictures as other contents are tooo advanced for it. For example I get full of empty boxes if I load bimmerpost.com. Then the rendering of pages, I don't understand the inclusion of sth that's hardly usable. Even more mind-boggling is they charge extra for it. I don't know when exactly BMW released this browsing thing in cars but they haven't changed much since then, I can guarantee that. Not sure about browsing in NBT though.

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:36 AM   #14
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post
I have a US spec X1. $2000+ dollars is a few thousand, or a couple thousand in my book. However I rarely use the phrase "only $2000."
If Tom-Tom can give customers free yearly updates why can't BMW offer bi-yearly updates for $50?
      08-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #15
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

Quote:
I have a US spec X1. $2000+ dollars is a few thousand, or a couple thousand in my book. However I rarely use the phrase "only $2000."
If Tom-Tom can give customers free yearly updates why can't BMW offer bi-yearly updates for $50?
2 vs 3 thousand is a big difference Less than 2k when you factor in other inclusions in the bundle. BMW options have always been expensive, its how they lure in buyers with a low price of entry then tack on the extras at an exceptional cost. Its why an entry x1 costs less than a loaded Escape, which would you we rather have?!?!

I agree the map update costs are ridiculous (should be free for the first few (3) years at least). I've not updated my maps in 1.5 years and the Nav hasn't steered me wrong so I don't feel the need to make annual updates.

But I much rather have an integrated OEM experience than a $99 tom tom attached to my window.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #16
Veritas-II
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 2.8i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:

I recently replaced my ’11 328i with a ’15 X1. Both have the iDrive option. The two systems are almost identical. My wife has a ’14 328d; her iDrive is nothing like mine. My 328 and X1 both have the iDrive Professional Navigation system (CIC). The wife’s is the CIC-HIGH next generation with the touch pad controller. In addition to the touch pad that allows tracing numbers and letters for various features, there are significant differences in the map interface. The CIC-HIGH has a different option set for displaying points of interest (POI) and different POI icons. An example of the difference in POI is mine shows a wrench for service centers; hers shows a roundel for BMW service. Mine shows a gas pump; hers shows the station brand icon. She has different split-screen options also, such as integrated Connected Drive apps. Much of the difference is cosmetic; however, a lot of it is higher functionality in the CIC-HIGH system. I haven’t conducted a comparison of how they route from point A to point B, so I can’t speak to routing efficiency.

Last edited by Veritas-II; 08-21-2014 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: Inadvertent smilie
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #17
BMWBig6
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks, that's a good comparison. Is there anything you truly miss from the 14 328 interface? Or anything you like better about the X1 system? I imagine the graphics resolution is superior on the new system.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #18
Veritas-II
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 2.8i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Thanks, that's a good comparison. Is there anything you truly miss from the 14 328 interface? Or anything you like better about the X1 system? I imagine the graphics resolution is superior on the new system.
The feature from the CIC-HIGH I most wish was in my X1 is auto day-night. I have the option programmed to one of the multifunction buttons just like I did in my '11. There is no reason this shouldn't occur automatically.

There are features that are non-navigation specific that are much better, like the ability to program multiple driver profiles. Each profile changes radio presets, memory seat & mirror positions, iDrive preferences, climate settings, and probably some other things I don't know about. If you have entertainment details in the split screen, the CIC-HIGH displays album art from radio stations. She has more functionality with BMW Apps, but that's a function of having an iPhone to my Android.

The short answer is the newer system is better in a lot of ways; however, I'm okay with the CIC because it's what I've known for a few years.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #19
BMWBig6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas-II View Post
The feature from the CIC-HIGH I most wish was in my X1 is auto day-night. I have the option programmed to one of the multifunction buttons just like I did in my '11. There is no reason this shouldn't occur automatically.

Wait, the display won't toggle between the day/night modes automatically? I thought all nav screens did this since 2000.

Thanks for the detailed response, btw!

Appreciate 0