XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
Spinynorman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive 28i

Why is manual mode not manual?

Why does my transmission automatically downshift when it is in manual mode? This is driving me crazy! Every time I manually downshift, it is a half second after the transmission decided to downshift on its own. So I end up down two gears and the revs jump 3000 rpm. Of course when I decide to let it downshift on its own, it doesn't. Things bog down and I can't accelerate. Am I missing something? Is there a way to keep it from doing this?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
soapman72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 M Sport, 2016 M4

If you push past the "kickdown switch" it will always downshift, even if it is in manual mode. Press down less than that on the gas pedal, and it will not downshift. It annoys me too, but that is the way it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

The transmission automatically downshifts to prevent the engine from revving to high during deceleration. I've never had it downshift on acceleration in manual mode.

I have found that the transmission automatically downshifts to 1st when rolling to a stop even if you have manually shifted to 2nd...very annoying! I don't usually use full manual mode, I prefer to drive in D and paddle shift as needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
I have found that the transmission automatically downshifts to 1st when rolling to a stop even if you have manually shifted to 2nd...very annoying!
Keep giving a little gas (i.e. two-foot or heel-toe), and it shouldn't.

Quote:
I don't usually use full manual mode, I prefer to drive in D and paddle shift as needed.
Same here, except for going down long hills, where D mode will decide to disengage the engine braking by shifting up at the worst possible moments. Like when you see the trooper lifting his laser gun towards you.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
Spinynorman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapman72 View Post
If you push past the "kickdown switch" it will always downshift, even if it is in manual mode. Press down less than that on the gas pedal, and it will not downshift.
I wasn't really talking about full throttle acceleration. It was more about downshifting in a corner, at low revs, for moderate acceleration coming out of the corner.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
Spinynorman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't usually use full manual mode, I prefer to drive in D and paddle shift as needed.
Yes, that allows you to shift when you want. The problem is that it doesn't allow you to not shift when you don't want it to.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
soapman72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinynorman View Post
I wasn't really talking about full throttle acceleration. It was more about downshifting in a corner, at low revs, for moderate acceleration coming out of the corner.
Well, the transmission won't allow you to be in Too high of a gear for the speed that you are currently at, so if you are slowing down, it will eventually have to downshift through the gears......if it didn't do this, it would damage the transmission, since torque converters have a "stall" speed, they dont operate very well at engine speeds below a certain point.

As it stands, my 8AT will let me lug the engine as much as I would ever want to.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
aramosc
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 S-line 28i

Will the transmission upshift by itself? I had a VW that had the infamous tiptronic and I hated how it would shift up by itself on red line so if you were trying to accelerate it would end up shifting from 1st to 3rd gear (one gear from the computer avoiding red line and another from the driver wanting to shift to 2nd) extremely annoying and it rendered the "manual" mode completely useless..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
Spinynorman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramosc View Post
Will the transmission upshift by itself? I had a VW that had the infamous tiptronic and I hated how it would shift up by itself on red line so if you were trying to accelerate it would end up shifting from 1st to 3rd gear (one gear from the computer avoiding red line and another from the driver wanting to shift to 2nd) extremely annoying and it rendered the "manual" mode completely useless..
I've never had it upshift on its own. But then I've never pushed it to redline either. I think I'd be okay with that, though, since I don't really push it and it definitely can prevent damage. But on the low end, I'm not convinced. Mine seems to downshift right at 1000 rpm, which seems a little high for a 'safety'. I guess I just need to learn to downshift a little earlier.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
soapman72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinynorman View Post
I've never had it upshift on its own. But then I've never pushed it to redline either. I think I'd be okay with that, though, since I don't really push it and it definitely can prevent damage. But on the low end, I'm not convinced. Mine seems to downshift right at 1000 rpm, which seems a little high for a 'safety'. I guess I just need to learn to downshift a little earlier.
Really? You want to lug a 4cyl around at less than 1000 RPM? a decent V8 will tolerate that pretty well (sometimes), but these engines are rough enough at 100-1300 as to not seem "happy" at that speed.

I guess if you want to be able to do stuff like that, you need a real manual trans.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
aramosc
Private
Rep

Can any one confirm that the 8-speed will not up shift by itself? In manual mode
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
Spinynorman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapman72 View Post
Really? You want to lug a 4cyl around at less than 1000 RPM?
No, I don't want to lug it around at less than 1000 rpm. I want to downshift it myself - at no throttle. If it happens at 950 rpm, so what. At least I'll be in the right gear when I do accelerate.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
nospam
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Can any one confirm that the 8-speed will not up shift by itself? In manual mode
Yes, it just bounces off of the rev limiter.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #14
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
It does, when it hits the rev limiter or you hit the kickdown on the pedal.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
nospam
Captain
Rep

According to posts on the F30 forum, the 8AT transmission gets different programming based on whether you get paddles or not. Paddle shifter vehicles do not auto up shift and non do. I have paddles and it does not auto up shift.

It's not clear what other differences in transmission programming exist.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #16
aramosc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam
According to posts on the F30 forum, the 8AT transmission gets different programming based on whether you get paddles or not. Paddle shifter vehicles do not auto up shift and non do. I have paddles and it does not auto up shift.

It's not clear what other differences in transmission programming exist.
Thats interesting and it makes sense.. I'm glad I ordered the flappy paddles.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
I have found that the transmission automatically downshifts to 1st when rolling to a stop even if you have manually shifted to 2nd...very annoying!
I checked that today, and my 35i stays in 2nd during stops when in manual mode. It will force a downshift from 3rd to 2nd, and won't let you shift to 3rd while stopped, but it will not downshift to 1st, unless you do it yourself.

Could be the 6-speed, could be the M-Sport programming - anyone with a non-M-Sport 6-speed care to test this out?
Appreciate 0