XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-20-2022, 09:25 AM   #1
HarryH22
Rep
Drives: BM1 X1

BMW X1 Red brake pad warning notice

Hi Guys,

A week or so ago I purchased an X1 off of Autotrader, the guy I bought it off had it serviced on the 17th May. In this service, the front brake pads were noted as 'green' and 50% worn with 7mm thickness. On friday just gone, the car notifies me that the brake pads need replacing...

I called the BMW garage that did the service and queried this. They said the system is showing that they have 400 miles left, I said i assume 400 miles isnt near 50% so one of these must be wrong but she sort of murmured and said they have to go with the system.

What should I do here? I assume theres no way the pads can wear that much over a month, I have barely driven it. I also want the notice turned off, it is quite annoying having that pop up every time i start the car!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 03:14 PM   #2
cowboy750
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw F02 750LI,E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH22 View Post
Hi Guys,

A week or so ago I purchased an X1 off of Autotrader, the guy I bought it off had it serviced on the 17th May. In this service, the front brake pads were noted as 'green' and 50% worn with 7mm thickness. On friday just gone, the car notifies me that the brake pads need replacing...

I called the BMW garage that did the service and queried this. They said the system is showing that they have 400 miles left, I said i assume 400 miles isnt near 50% so one of these must be wrong but she sort of murmured and said they have to go with the system.

What should I do here? I assume theres no way the pads can wear that much over a month, I have barely driven it. I also want the notice turned off, it is quite annoying having that pop up every time i start the car!

Cheers
Just change the wear sensor very easy and then reset it in the dash … even if you have a bunch of pad left the sensor is set for a certain mileage if don't reset it before it gets too close to the set mileage you will have to change the sensor. So I would actually try to reset it then if that don't work and it keeps coming back just change the sensor
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 03:18 PM   #3
p_s88
Rep
Drives: E84 2.0 xd

https://youtu.be/r1T7SO3Coak

Before that, you need to replace the brake pad wear sensor or disconnect it for a while.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 04:26 PM   #4
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

I miss the good 'ol days of measuring the pads than relying on the sensor.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 06:32 PM   #5
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Just replace the pads an wear sensor... it's not expensive and rather easy to do
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 06:57 AM   #6
4_ring_circus
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Corrado, Audi S4, X1 128xi

As far as I am aware, the wear pad sensor is a wear item, as the brake pad wears down to a certain amount it rubs through the sensor breaking the circuit. If you just put a new sensor on without replacing the brake pads you will wear through the sensor during your first breaking.

For those that want to delete the brake pad sensor: buy a sensor, cut off the wires close to the plug, join the wires together, tada. Enjoy sensor free life. VW or Audi has a sensor bypass - I ran into on a car I was working on once.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 06:06 AM   #7
HarryH22
Rep
Drives: BM1 X1

Thanks for the help guys, so first thing to do is take the car to a garage just to replace the wear sensor? Will that then solve it?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 08:21 AM   #8
4_ring_circus
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Corrado, Audi S4, X1 128xi

First step is to figure out if your pads are worn or not. Look at the inside pad, those tend to wear out faster.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 03:48 PM   #9
ladybugkim
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 MSport

Angry 2020 X1 Needs Front Brakes after 18k miles?

Coming in late to the thread as I've just experienced something almost identical today.

My 2020 X1 xDrive M Sport front left brake pad is 1cm from being "fine" and over 50% a couple of months ago when the front left sensor started reacting. The Front right brake has 30% remaining. My X1 has been driven less than 18.5k miles.

I'm looking at a $1200+ bill to replace them. From what I've read, the front brake pad replacement on a 2020 X1 is usually due around 30-50k miles.

Has anyone heard of something like this?

(Wanted to be sure to note: The service tech sent me a video of the brake pad wear to "confirm" the wear)
Appreciate 0