XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #1
woodman411
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 sdrive28i

headlight bulb replacement, need help

I've looked at the existing posts on replacing the headlight bulb, however my hand just seems too big to have enough leverage to unplug the electrical plug, let alone the metal tang that holds the bulb in. I tried both my left and right hand, through the engine bay and through the wheel well, no dice. Before I give up and head to the dealer, can anyone suggest for someone who can barely get my knuckles into the hole, how to remove the electrical plug (the black plastic housing where the wires go into)? Any tips maybe using a tool? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by woodman411; 10-08-2016 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Get your phone in there and take a photo.
You will not be able the get your whole hand in there.
The driver side has less space, I suggest you take the air cleaner and intake pipe out of the way
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
woodman411
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
Get your phone in there and take a photo.
You will not be able the get your whole hand in there.
The driver side has less space, I suggest you take the air cleaner and intake pipe out of the way
Took a photo, looks a lot like this: http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950763

The part where I need to squeeze the top and bottom and pull out, I just don't have the leverage, or space, to do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 09:31 PM   #4
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman411 View Post
Took a photo, looks a lot like this: http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950763

The part where I need to squeeze the top and bottom and pull out, I just don't have the leverage, or space, to do it.
I am 6'2" and I am sure my hands are bigger than Trump's hands ;-)
I have dealt with both bulbs multiple times, I know it is not easy but it is possible.
You will have to only use your fingers. That is why I say, take a photo, then you know exactly where and in what direction to push the clip.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 09:43 PM   #5
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
One more thing, the plug just pulls straight out, nothing special.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 11:25 PM   #6
woodman411
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
One more thing, the plug just pulls straight out, nothing special.
THANK YOU. Finally replaced both bulbs, driver's side was 10 times more difficult, even with the airbox pushed aside. I'm not going to lie - this took many hours, peeled skin, and deep skin indentations that hopefully are not permanent. Time to sleep and let my raw hands heal. Goodnight.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 11:41 PM   #7
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I am glad you survived 😀
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 06:54 PM   #8
citizenclive
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I have the t-shirt on this one

Put nitrile gloves on. Turn wheels to the right to work on LH headlamp. Put torch on top of wheel shining into the black cavity. Look into the hole and see where the socket is located. Put hand in and feel the socket and spend some time familiarising your self with the shape of the part. Pull out the socket. Now spend time feeling for the retaining spring clip for the bulb - you have to do this totally blind - it will take time - be patient with yourself. Once you have unclipped the bulb it can be removed. Now patiently reverse the process with the new bulb checking from the front of the light, that you have orientated the bulb correctly - before putting the spring clip back in place.

Note. A magnet taped to a 6" plastic straw can be used to recover a bulb which has slipped out of your hand and has fallen down into the cavity and is otherwise irretrivable.

Note. Osram do H7 ultralife bulbs [4 year warranty] - this job is so annoyingly fiddly you will not want to do this job ever again
Appreciate 0