XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Audi RS5

Anybody own one? I would like to know member experiences/opinions of them. It's a beautiful car and I would love to buy one.

Also a curiosity, the Audi R8 comes in V8 form as well, is it the same V8 in the RS5?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
From Wikipedia: "According to Quattro GmbH chief Stephan Reil, the 4.2 FSI engine is based upon Audi's 5.2 FSI V10 engine (found in the D3 Audi S8 and Audi R8) with two cylinders removed."

My buddy from work is on his second RS5 (lost the first in Sandy) and he seems to love it.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhmund View Post
Anybody own one? I would like to know member experiences/opinions of them. It's a beautiful car and I would love to buy one.

Also a curiosity, the Audi R8 comes in V8 form as well, is it the same V8 in the RS5?
It is related to the Audi V10 (not the V8) but with 2 fewer cylinders. It has more power and a higher RPM redline than the V8 R8.

I have both a RS5 and M4. They both have their strengths and it really depends on what appeals to you. I promise you can't go wrong with either. I'm going to make a hunch that all-out performance isn't necessarily the biggest determining factor for you, so I think you'd really enjoy the RS5 because IMO it looks more special/exotic than the M4.

The whole experience of owning a RS5 feels VERY special. I still melt every time I lay eyes on her, when I sit inside and gaze at her R8-esque cockpit, and when I fire up the engine and hear her roar to life. Two things that for me are head and shoulders above the M4 are the gauge cluster and the start-up sound. Both of those are really uninspiring on the M4. The M4 is super quiet at startup (no roar) and the gauges (not the steering wheel but the gauges) are probably the most boring gauges I've ever seen on a modern performance car.

The RS5 also has MUCH better interior controls/navigation/MMI.

Here's a list of complaints of things about the M4 that I can do in the RS5 that I can't do in the BMW (or at least haven't figured out how to do after almost 2 months of owning it)
  • A/C defaults on at start-up! no matter what! (probably the most ridiculous default setting in the history of cars)
  • Can't mute the sound from the steering wheel with one button (and the volume adjustment are buttons instead of a scroll wheel even though the adjustments for channels/songs is a scroll wheel)
  • Navigation maps look terrible and you can barely distinguish traffic flow from the color of the streets. Give me Google Maps that are in the Audi any day.
  • No option to import only specific songs to harddrive - must import an entire folder and you can't store all your songs in one seamless folder...
  • A/C on driver's side and passenger side can't be synced (i have to adjust both sides every time)
  • Car defaults to its default car settings on startup everytime. You have to store your settings on the "M" button and click it every time. (For me I have to click twice because I drive in MDM mode with traction control semi-off)
  • Using the interactive map involves clicking the click wheel, scrolling to "Interactive Map" , selecting it, then having a separate map pop out that's insanely difficult to use since the click wheel is also a touch pad. In the Audi, you simply move the clickwheel to move in the map....it's so easy, seriously wtf BMW

These are just a few of the many complaints I have about the BMW's iDrive vs. Audi's MMI.

The M4, however, has MUCH better steering feel and brakes.

As for the RS5, if you've ever played the F355 Challenge Arcade Simulator, I'm fairly certain that has more steering feel than the Audi lol. That said, the lack of steering feel in the RS5 doesn't bother me as much as you'd think, because the steering weight can be adjusted and it is at least accurate.
I'd also give a slight edge in handling to the M4 but that may be more attributed to the M4 having Michelin PSSs vs. the lackluster Pirellis on the RS5.

Everything else is subjective or a matter of preference. That includes the power delivery. The M4 may be faster on paper, but I could care less about what the numbers say, because to me the RS5 feels amazingly fast when you're ripping up to the 8.5krpm redline and the Audi's DSG is just as fast as the BMW DCT but it's smoother.

If you like the way the RS5 looks then you should absolutely get one. And if my endorsement isn't enough here's what Randy Pobst (pro race car driver from Motortrend) has to say:

"The R8 should be half this good! This car is fantastic. I adore it. It does such a great job utilizing all-wheel-drive traction off the corner, with zero push. You just drive in there and you think it's too early, but you just floor it and you're like, man, I should've gotten on the gas sooner. And no push, no oversteer -- it just drives right out of there, beautifully carving an exit line, using all the power. The gearbox is also very friendly. I just got more confident with carrying speed in and trusting the grip."

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

Last edited by onatuesday; 10-16-2014 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3
Quote:

It is related to the Audi V10 (not the V8) but with 2 fewer cylinders. It has more power and a higher RPM redline than the V8 R8.

I have both a RS5 and M4. They both have their strengths and it really depends on what appeals to you. I promise you can't go wrong with either. I'm going to make a hunch that all-out performance isn't necessarily the biggest determining factor for you, so I think you'd really enjoy the RS5 because IMO it looks more special/exotic than the M4.

The whole experience of owning a RS5 feels VERY special. I still melt every time I lay eyes on her, when I sit inside and gaze at her R8-esque cockpit, and when I fire up the engine and hear her roar to life. Two things that for me are head and shoulders above the M4 are the gauge cluster and the start-up sound. Both of those are really uninspiring on the M4. The M4 is super quiet at startup (no roar) and the gauges (not the steering wheel but the gauges) are probably the most boring gauges I've ever seen on a modern performance car.

Here's a list of complaints of things about the M4 that I can do in the RS5 that I can't do in the BMW (or at least haven't figured out how to do after almost 2 months of owning it)
  • A/C defaults on at start-up! no matter what! (probably the most ridiculous default setting in the history of cars)
  • Can't mute the sound from the steering wheel with one button (and the volume adjustment are buttons instead of a scroll wheel even though the adjustments for channels/songs is a scroll wheel)
  • Navigation maps look terrible and you can barely distinguish traffic flow from the color of the streets. Give me Google Maps that are in the Audi any day.
  • No option to import only specific songs to harddrive - must import an entire folder and you can't store all your songs in one seamless folder...
  • A/C on driver's side and passenger side can't be synced (i have to adjust both sides every time)
  • Car defaults to its default car settings on startup everytime. You have to store your settings on the "M" button and click it every time. (For me I have to click twice because I drive in MDM mode with traction control semi-off)
  • Using the interactive map involves clicking the click wheel, scrolling to "Interactive Map" , selecting it, then having a separate map pop out that's insanely difficult to use since the click wheel is also a touch pad. In the Audi, you simply move the clickwheel to move in the map....it's so easy, seriously wtf BMW

These are just a few of the many complaints I have about the BMW's iDrive vs. Audi's MMI.

As for the RS5, if you've ever played the F355 Challenge Arcade Simulator, I'm fairly certain that has more steering feel than the Audi lol. That said, the lack of steering feel in the RS5 doesn't bother me as much as you'd think, because the steering weight can be adjusted and it is at least accurate.
I'd also give a slight edge in handling to the M4 but that may be more attributed to the M4 having Michelin PSSs vs. the lackluster Pirellis on the RS5.

Everything else is subjective or a matter of preference. That includes the power delivery. The M4 may be faster on paper, but I could care less about what the numbers say, because to me the RS5 feels amazingly fast when you're ripping up to the 8.5krpm redline and the Audi's DSG is just as fast as the BMW DCT but it's smoother.

If you like the way the RS5 looks then you should absolutely get one. And if my endorsement isn't enough here's what Randy Pobst (pro race car driver from Motortrend) has to say:

"The R8 should be half this good! This car is fantastic. I adore it. It does such a great job utilizing all-wheel-drive traction off the corner, with zero push. You just drive in there and you think it's too early, but you just floor it and you're like, man, I should've gotten on the gas sooner. And no push, no oversteer -- it just drives right out of there, beautifully carving an exit line, using all the power. The gearbox is also very friendly. I just got more confident with carrying speed in and trusting the grip."

Thank you SO MUCH! This is what I needed to find, an honest detailed user opinion.

I'm also very jealous at the moment, you have BOTH the M4 and RS5!!!

If I do get it, it would be my weekend car. I never track my cars, never had the interest to do it. I just love how they look.

Question: are the rear fenders on it flared(wider) than a regular A5 or S5? It's a small thing but makes a big difference in the appearance.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Question: are the rear fenders on it flared(wider) than a regular A5 or S5? It's a small thing but makes a big difference in the appearance.

Both the front and rear fenders are flared compared to a S5. It's hard to see in pictures but in person you can see it. And of course the ride height is lower.

Here's mine in misano red:

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Yes, the RS5 does have wider front and rear fenders than the A5/S5.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #7
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Both the front and rear fenders are flared compared to a S5. It's hard to see in pictures but in person you can see it. And of course the ride height is lower.

Here's mine in misano red:

Oh ok. How is gas mileage? How many miles do you have and now is the motor holding up?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Oh ok. How is gas mileage? How many miles do you have and now is the motor holding up?
16 city/23 hwy. To put that in perspective the M4 which is 4 years newer, has two fewer driven wheels, weighs less, has a smaller displacement engine and forced induction gets 1mpg better at 17 city, 24 hwy with DCT (26 with manual).

I only have about 7k miles but from reading the forums the only problem that people have reported is the usual carbon buildup problem common on all Audi V8s. There's an easy solution for that however...just drive like it like you stole it every once in a while. Audi reliability has come along way. Never had any problems with my B8 S4 which had about 35k miles and haven't heard of people with lots of miles having issues either.

Keep in mind with the RS5 you're getting one of the last high revving naturally aspirated V8s ever made. And since it's limited production, in the long term it should hold value relatively well.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
16 city/23 hwy. To put that in perspective the M4 which is 4 years newer, has two fewer driven wheels, weighs less, has a smaller displacement engine and forced induction gets 1mpg better at 17 city, 24 hwy with DCT (26 with manual).

I only have about 7k miles but from reading the forums the only problem that people have reported is the usual carbon buildup problem common on all Audi V8s. There's an easy solution for that however...just drive like it like you stole it every once in a while. Audi reliability has come along way. Never had any problems with my B8 S4 which had about 35k miles and haven't heard of people with lots of miles having issues either.

Keep in mind with the RS5 you're getting one of the last high revving naturally aspirated V8s ever made. And since it's limited production, in the long term it should hold value relatively well.
That's the thing I always here people question is audi's reliability, but I have never driven audi or VW so I cannot speak for them.

I have heard that they are going to introduce the brand new A5 S5 models next year or so I have read. Will that mean a new RS5 or is your car the last iteration?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That's the thing I always here people question is audi's reliability, but I have never driven audi or VW so I cannot speak for them.

I have heard that they are going to introduce the brand new A5 S5 models next year or so I have read. Will that mean a new RS5 or is your car the last iteration?
Yes except for Porsche all the Germans are notorious for reliability as you know BMW is also not known for having the best reliability either

With the 4 year warranty, it's just not something I worry about.

As for the next RS5, there remains a lot of questions

A) Will Audi release a new A5 next year? likely at the end of the year yes
B) Will they also release a S5 at the same time? Or a year later?
C) Will they release a new RS5 at all?
D) If they do release a new RS5 will it be brought to the US?
E) What engine will a new RS5 use? Likely forced induction of some sort

One thing I can say for sure is that IF a new RS5 is released it'll be at least 4 years before that happens. The current RS5 didn't come out until almost 6 years after the A5 came out.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes except for Porsche all the Germans are notorious for reliability as you know BMW is also not known for having the best reliability either

With the 4 year warranty, it's just not something I worry about.

As for the next RS5, there remains a lot of questions

A) Will Audi release a new A5 next year? likely at the end of the year yes
B) Will they also release a S5 at the same time? Or a year later?
C) Will they release a new RS5 at all?
D) If they do release a new RS5 will it be brought to the US?
E) What engine will a new RS5 use? Likely forced induction of some sort

One thing I can say for sure is that IF a new RS5 is released it'll at least 4 years before that happens.
Gotcha. I like the new M4, but nothing beats a NA V8. Hence my love for the RS5.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #12
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha. I like the new M4, but nothing beats a NA V8. Hence my love for the RS5.
My advice would be to find one you can test drive. That'll help make up your mind real quick

For me, I had actually placed my order for the M4 in January and I was at the Audi dealer helping my friend buy a manual S5 (a real rarity these days). The Audi dealer offered me a drive in the RS5 but until that point I had no interest in the RS5 whatsoever. Wasn't even on my radar.

Salesman insisted that I give it a drive so who was I turn that down. He also let me drive the car very hard and well I went from not being interested at all with a M4 on the way, to being damn I gotta have this. So I ended up buying it, loving it, and I just couldn't let it go when the M4 arrived.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #13
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My advice would be to find one you can test drive. That'll help make up your mind real quick

For me, I had actually placed my order for the M4 in January and I was at the Audi dealer helping my friend buy a manual S5 (a real rarity these days). The Audi dealer offered me a drive in the RS5 but until that point I had no interest on the RS5. Wasn't even on my radar.

Salesman insisted that I give it a drive so who was I turn that down. He also let me drive the car very hard and well I went from not being interested at all with a M4 on the way, to being damn I gotta have this. So I ended up buying it, loving it, and I just couldn't let it go when the M4 arrived.
How was pricing for you, like is there any haggling on price or not much?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #14
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There's always haggling on pricing. A salesman put it to me best, the sticker window price is there for suckers who will actually pay that. When I bought my M4 the dealer was charging an absurd $20k higher than MSRP. Which quite frankly deters most buyers from even stepping foot in the dealership. But the salesman knew I knew my stuff, and he was more than willing to negotiate below sticker even for a car that high in demand. But they also sold a car at $20k+ MSRP cuz there are people who are willing to pay it. Not me. I never pay higher than even sticker for a car.

Now you're not gonna get a huge, huge discount since it is limited production but a few grand off is totally reasonable. You still want these guys to make money. An easy way to know how much they paid is to to go edmunds TMV and put in the car with the options. it'll tell you what they paid. http://www.edmunds.com/tmv.html - just make sure there's some profit in there for them too.

It does depend a lot on the supply at the moment as prices tend to spike when a shipment sells out (usually a shipment is a few dozen cars to a region every few weeks). So timing is important, as dealers with more than one in stock are probably more likely to make a deal - of course getting the color you want means you might have to do a dealer trade which most dealers are willing to do. The only option that are must have are the Nav package and potentially the Sports exhaust. But word of caution on the sports exhaust it doesn't actually make the car louder, it just let's you get a deeper tone. So if you want louder, just go with the stock exhaust and get an aftermarket exhaust later. you'll save a $1000 bucks. I got the sports exhaust but it's just too quiet.

Also buying slightly used is a good option.

I've found that I'm most able to get good deals when I convince the dealer that
A) I'll be a repeat customer as well as likely to send them referrals and
B) Promise to give them a perfect score on the satisfaction survey and write great Yelp reviews and such (usually reserve this towards the end of the negotiation). Salesman get bonuses based on their satisfaction scores.
C) Always, always, always talk to the "Internet Sales Manager' rather than the regular sales team. Reason being that the internet sales mgr is paid based off of volume of cars sold rather than the commission on each individual car sold (at least most dealers).

Oh and the best trick of all, is simply to walk away. Even just the notion that you're walking out (politely of course) is when the real magic negotiation starts happening. With the M4 I think I said no thanks about 4 times before they finally gave me a price I liked haha

Last edited by onatuesday; 10-16-2014 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #15
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
There's always haggling on pricing. A salesman put it to me best, the sticker window price is there for suckers who will actually pay that. When I bought my M4 the dealer was charging an absurd $20k higher than MSRP. Which quite frankly deters most buyers from even stepping foot in the dealership. But the salesman knew I knew my stuff, and he was more than willing to negotiate below sticker even for a car that high in demand. But they also sold a car at $20k+ MSRP cuz there are people who are willing to pay it. Not me. I never pay higher than even sticker for a car.

Now you're not gonna get a huge, huge discount since it is limited production but a few grand off is totally reasonable. You still want these guys to make money. An easy way to know how much they paid is to to go edmunds TMV and put in the car with the options. it'll tell you what they paid. http://www.edmunds.com/tmv.html" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.edmunds.c...m/tmv.html</a> - just make sure there's some profit in there for them too.

It does depend a lot on the supply at the moment as prices tend to spike when a shipment sells out (usually a shipment is a few dozen cars to a region every few weeks). So timing is important, as dealers with more than one in stock are probably more likely to make a deal - of course getting the color you want means you might have to do a dealer trade which most dealers are willing to do. The only option that are must have are the Nav package and potentially the Sports exhaust. But word of caution on the sports exhaust it doesn't actually make the car louder, it just let's you get a deeper tone. So if you want louder, just go with the stock exhaust and get an aftermarket exhaust later. you'll save a $1000 bucks. I got the sports exhaust but it's just too quiet.

Also buying slightly used is a good option.

I've found that I'm most able to get good deals when I convince the dealer that
A) I'll be a repeat customer as well as likely to send them referrals and
B) Promise to give them a perfect score on the satisfaction survey and write great Yelp reviews and such (usually reserve this towards the end of the negotiation). Salesman get bonuses based on their satisfaction scores.
C) Always, always, always talk to the "Internet Sales Manager' rather than the regular sales team. Reason being that the internet sales mgr is paid based off of volume of cars sold rather than the commission on each individual car sold (at least most dealers).

Oh and the best trick of all, is simply to walk away. Even just the notion that you're walking out (politely of course) is when the real magic negotiation starts happening. With the M4 I think I said no thanks about 4 times before they finally gave me a price I liked haha
Awesome! Thank you!

How does the V8 sound compared to say the S65 or the Coyote 5.0 in the mustang?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #16
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! Thank you!

How does the V8 sound compared to say the S65 or the Coyote 5.0 in the mustang?
It sounds good! Similar to the S65 (at least with the Sports exhaust). Unmistakably a V8. People say they can hear it when I gun it when they're driving in other cars, but on the inside it's a bit too quiet for my taste. Cold-startup is pretty loud though! It feels more torquey down low than the S65 though still needs to be revved out to feel the punch but it loves to rev...almost never ending how high it revs (in a good way).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #17
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
There are many videos on youtube of the exhaust notes for each car. Give that a whirl.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #18
Acree
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post

Hell of a post!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #19
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post

For me, I had actually placed my order for the M4 in January and I was at the Audi dealer helping my friend buy a manual S5 (a real rarity these days). The Audi dealer offered me a drive in the RS5 but until that point I had no interest in the RS5 whatsoever. Wasn't even on my radar.

What dealership was this? No way it was Rector.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #20
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
What dealership was this? No way it was Rector.
Audi in SF (or Royal Automotive whatever it's called). However the GM and a few of the sales staff recently moved on a few months ago.

I also have a good relationship with Rector if you need a hook up there.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #21
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Pretty sure any BMW can have both sides sync'd for A/C temp. I have an ALL button. Makes the temp and fan same on both sides.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #22
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix
Pretty sure any BMW can have both sides sync'd for A/C temp. I have an ALL button. Makes the temp and fan same on both sides.
If you're talking about where I hit the ALL button and both sides have equal temperature and fan speed, then yes you are correct because my car has this
Appreciate 0