Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-14-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
idspispopd
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i (E89)

X1 - looking for owners' comments after months of use

I have an X1 (automatic) in mind to replace my 09 335i x-drive (standard) as my aging left hip is beginning to gripe at my clutch use, and getting in/out is becoming more irritatingly difficult.

I've read a number of posts about rattles and squeaks, concerns about size of the cabin, placement of the cupholders and the general fit and finish of the hardware on the dash. (I avoided the 1-series because of the latter last time 'round on a car purchase.)

I do a fair bit of country driving, not off-road but very rural, can be snowy, icy and/or wet, and run through the mountains from Calgary into BC a lot.

The X1 sounds like the ideal vehicle for us: decent cargo space, decent clearance (event with the M Sport pkg), handling not quite as fun as the 335i and somewhat better gas mileage.

So - that's all fine in theory.

How about the practice? Does the car really hold up as well as it seems? Are the "concerns" above really an issue for you?

Yes - it's expensive for the type of vehicle. Is it worth it fully loaded?

I've owned five BMWs, starting with a '73 2002 (fun!) and would be delighted to hear your comments, thoughts and experiences. Please and thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 05:12 AM   #2
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Hi there. I´ve had my x1 since June 2010. No squeaks in my car. Some of the interior plastic is very far from premium... It is very hard plastic in some details and the fit and finish for these details are not too good... The car is not ideal for a big family either...
However, I just love my car, good looking, good handling. Very good in winter conditions.
My car is fully loaded, everything except for leather seats, bluetooth and Sport suspension.
My top 5:
* H/K sound
* Panorama sun roof
* Adaptive headlights
* Comfort access system
* Navi Pro
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yeah, I think that you'd like the X1. It's much like 3 series. The dash is very similar.
The interior finish is a little on the cheap side and BMW Canada should have included a little more but didn't, but all in all it's a great car. It rides better than my 335 and the handling is really good too. Take it for a test drive!
      10-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

I own a 2010 23d Xdrive that is fully loaded. It was originaly an SE Xline, but I had it modified to MSport spec by a BMW main dealer (see my post 'not for the sqeamish', and for some interior pictures - Boras most recent post re his 2.0 MSport).

No problems with the car except windscreen rubber seal creating a noise (now fixed). I have a personal gripe about the interior door handles as they are very cheap, and this is a premium product!

Performance is excellent on all road surfaces (I've got sports seats, 18" wheeels with run flats and sports suspension. The car comes alive in sports mode.

Before owning the X1 I owned a Porsche Boxster S Sport Edition, and while the X1 is not 'quite' in the same category for performance it's close. It wins on comfort and practicality every time. I'm 6' 4" tall and feel comfortable in the car. More importantly I still felt fresh after a recent 350 mile journey in heavy traffic on a cross section of road types/conditions.

As DUH Car says take it for an extended test drive, and my bet is you will be smiling at the end.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

Interesting topic of discussion. Mine is arriving in Edmonton in about a month, I think. When I looked at the price, it was close to what I could have purchased an X3/2.8 for, fully loaded. I think one of the things the x1 has in its favour is that it is made in Germany, which depending on your thought process, may be a good thing.

I think some considerations should be: 1) are you happy with the 4cyl engine versus the turbocharged 6cyl? 2) Would the extra size/interior room of the X3 be useful? 3) How about the extra clearance on the X3 versus the lower X1?

I would consider giving both a drive. Also keeping in mind that you are coming from a car that handles so well, I would look at the Dynamic Drive option on the X3 - maybe a decision maker?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
idspispopd
Private
Canada
Rep

I have only little experience with the X3: I've had a couple of low-end models as loaners from the dealer during service calls, and a friend of ours had one a few years back. My impressions were - at least from those - that it was a clunky SUV that drove like a bit of a boat. Is that no longer so?

The X3 just seems soooo much bigger to me, though, when I looked at the specs that is really not true at all - most of it is in the height (4" more), but only a couple of inches each in length and width.

I do have a line on the X1 M Sport -- but at just shy of $60K it's a hefty price differential over a loaded regular X1 - about $52K as far as I can tell.

I wasn't impressed with the cupholders in the X1, and must admit that I didn't really notice the plastics in the front end -- will look much more closely when next in one!!

Cargo is not a big issue for me -- the kids are grown, though my 6'5" son would be happier in the larger vehicle.

My frustration is more that in a 10 or 15-minute test drive I can't really know a vehicle well enough to decide....and it is difficult to get one for longer than that. Maybe I'll just have to make that a demand and not a request.

I guess it really comes down to this: I'm a driver first and foremost -- which will prove to be the more enduring (fun) drive? (I could, always, just swap my 335i x-drive for a new one, too....albeit an automatic....)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

I've had my X1 for over 6 months now, and it's been totally reliable, with no squeaks or rattles of note. Sunroof does not leak either. Space is average but versatile. It's really a 3 people car as I have my seat way back, even though I have average height of about 173cm. Boot is good. Go for it. Go for the diesels or new turbo petrols.

My only gripe is the slightly firm ride - I put this down to the runflats - had no choice to option standard tyres.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
dinamo
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X1 xDrive28i

I've been using my X1 couple months now and I love it ,not a single hick up .
2000km and counting.

Last edited by dinamo; 10-15-2011 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
dinamo
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
I've had my X1 for over 6 months now, and it's been totally reliable, with no squeaks or rattles of note. Sunroof does not leak either. Space is average but versatile. It's really a 3 people car as I have my seat way back, even though I have average height of about 173cm. Boot is good. Go for it. Go for the diesels or new turbo petrols.

My only gripe is the slightly firm ride - I put this down to the runflats - had no choice to option standard tyres.

Unfortunately there are no diesel engines available in Canada . I would definitely went with 23d instead of 28i if I had a choice.
      10-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
I've had my X1 for about six months now and cannot fault it. Sure, some of the plastics aren't super luxury but it's a crossover vehicle, designed to be a big rugged, bit harder, not as easily damaged. I have found it to be extremely versatile, reliable, no squeaks or rattles, is a great tow vehicle, no damage from the dog jumping in and out of the car full of sand, just shake out the matt, wipe the slobber off the windows and go again. The 23d is amazingly spritely whilst remaining frugal, it handles well and is easy to park. Airport runs are easy, taking people and luggage without breaking a sweat. I love it. I loved my 135i before but it's function was limited. The X1's added versatility is just what i was after in a vehicle. For mine, the options I couldn't live without are the sports seats, xenon lights and performance control.
      10-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #11
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

After two E91's I would say that the cargo area is far better than the 3 series touring...

And the interior quality is fine, in fact all teh areas that you actually touch are better than the 3 series, however the area around the gearstick is terrible, really cheap and nasty and a real let down, but that is the only place.

Cup holders I am not fussed about, it has one that will hold a large McDonalds coffee and each door bin has a section at the front to hold a bottle of OJ or a can of Coke etc.

The drive is 95% of the 3 series and the comfort is far, far better.

Just been offered a 3 litre diesel sport touring with all the toys as a swap as I was not getting on with the manual gearbox, but decided the 3 series would actually be a step backward.

I have only done 5000 miles in mine, but already I know I love it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

One other thing, I am sure there is more space in the back of this as there was in our F11 5 series, same with the cargo area.

Just realised I have a pic of the front, it is the plastics around the ciggy lighter and gearstick that are crap, but you never touch them.

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
Canadian eh!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440xi Gran Coupe!!!!

Had mine about 6 months now and very pleased with it. Handles and rides well on the 18" sport package wheels. Well balanced and pretty toss able .

Definitely needs the leather, I did red brown on space grey which is a great combo in my opinion. I also special ordered BMW individual anthracite headliner which makes the car in my opinion.

My quibble about the interior is the armrest which is black vinyl and I think it should be leather to match, aside from that the materials are just as good quality as my Audi A3.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

My X1 is just over 5 months old and about to turn over 10,000 kms. I am extremely pleased with it. It has heaps of space for 4, more then adequate power for overtaking and general driving. I like the ride with 18" rims ... not too firm, and handles brilliantly with the Dynamic Performance Control.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 12:45 AM   #15
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

For a daily driving car, I'd take a x1 over the current 3 series anytime. It's a different story if you go for track racing.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 06:56 AM   #16
jag1
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 2.0 auto

Had my X1 2.D Xdrive 13 months, no rattles or dash noises, the awd is definitely worth the extra for road holding and country roads and towing. I did opt for non run flat tyres after road testing demonstrators at the dealers.I also had to opt for an auto (for health reasons) and find the cruise control and smooth auto is a great combination.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #17
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

But my next car is going to be the Range Rover Evouqe
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #18
idspispopd
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks for your comments!

I have yet to take one for an extended test drive, which my dealer has promised me (as in a full day, not just a 10 min. drive around the block). My target is actually one of the very few X1M Sport models being brought into Canada. They want just about $60,000 CDN including dealer prep for it -- the priciest X1 that I can find online otherwise is about $54,000. They quote the M Sport package at $4,000 and the 18" staggered wheels/rims at $1,200 so that is most of the difference.

The vehicles they are bringing in are Automatic only and leather.

I just can't decide if the added cost is worth it, or I should settle a little lower on the cost scale....having a unique vehicle is 'fun' in a way, though I'm not sure it's as much fun driving in the mountains as my 335i x-drive.

Oh yes - the cupholders I think are quite chintzy. I'm not a big fan of what they've done, though I understand that in Germany they are actually not even legal to have. Of course, we don't drive that fast in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #19
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
I just can't decide if the added cost is worth it, or I should settle a little lower on the cost scale....having a unique vehicle is 'fun' in a way, though I'm not sure it's as much fun driving in the mountains as my 335i x-drive.
I don't think it is worth it, IMHO. Save your money and spend it on some options that are more "useful".
      10-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #20
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

+1 not worth it i think. for 60 large, you're better off using that money for a real M car
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #21
idspispopd
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDriver View Post
+1 not worth it i think. for 60 large, you're better off using that money for a real M car
Oh, I would SO love to do that!

...and then reality sets in (called my wife....) who was asking what is "practical" about an M3.

Right.....nothing. Sigh.

I don't *mind* spending the money, but I want value for it - and while the vehicle would be unique I'm just not that ego-driven. I'm more interested in a great-driving, safe car that can handle our occasionally bizarre winter weather, and provide at least a few thrills in the summer. Oh, and it needs to "feel" like a BMW, which was my biggest objection to the 1 series. They just felt "cheap" compared to the 3er.

I did, however, like the slight additional height of the X1 over my 335i - not for driving - just for getting in an out of. That's a bit sad, though, isn't it?

The only other choice is the X3, but they are growing that, too, and I want smaller, not larger. Hence the X1 debate.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #22
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

based on your requirements, the X1 fits just right. getting the sports pkg could be a good compromise for fun and utility.

i asked the forum a couple of days back whether the sports pkg suspension is harsh and bottoms out easily like the E90, all replies were positive. Phil777 in particular said that it has the right amount of firmness and doesn't bottom out.

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595210
Appreciate 0