02-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
ScottE
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 xDrive 28i Mineral Gray

x1 vs. wall

http://jalopnik.com/5982926/this-bmw...wall-in-brazil

So which is it – Our cars are built like tanks or Brazilian concrete is made from styrofoam and particle board?

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Haha, I'm going to go with gray spray paint and cardboard.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
xyz100
Private
Rep
Drives: Challenger

Actually shifter on 28i is weird. I wonder if the person got confused with drive/reverse operation. And parking with a button. It freaked me out too.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

If someone is used to cars where pull means shift down, I can understand that they get confused when driving a newer BMW (or race car, or Logitech MOMO, or ...) in step mode, and may put it in first instead of reverse.

But how people can miss the brake and hit the gas, I don't get.
I know that some driving schools insist on teaching people to use the right foot for both the gas and the brake, because then they won't have to readjust between standard and automatic, but they have to readjust anyway because of the clutch, so that's a moot point. With automatic, use the left foot on the brake and right foot on gas, and you won't have this problem, unless you're seriously cross-legged. And you get the added benefit of quicker responses. There's a reason why the brake pedal on automatics extend to the left.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
With automatic, use the left foot on the brake and right foot on gas, and you won't have this problem, unless you're seriously cross-legged. And you get the added benefit of quicker responses. There's a reason why the brake pedal on automatics extend to the left.
People that drive Automatics using their left foot to brake are easy to spot. They'll be riding the brake and they contribute to many rear end collisions because the brake lights are always lit because their left foot is resting on the Brake pedal. Theyll also be the drivers that go thru pads and rotors like no tomorrow. Of course, this doesnt apply to all left foot brakers. Many left breakers will hit both the throttle and brake when executing a panic stop.
It's a sorry way to drive. Right foot for throttle and brake no matter what transmission. Nothing to get "used to" when switching from one tranny to the other.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

My grandfather flunked his last CA drivers exam because he insisted on using his left foot to brake. I don't think this practice is advisable. Pro drivers are able to heel-toe but never use both feet AFAIK.
      02-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
People that drive Automatics using their left foot to brake are easy to spot. They'll be riding the brake and they contribute to many rear end collisions because the brake lights are always lit because their left foot is resting on the Brake pedal.
Thus the M-Sport left foot rest.

Bad drivers rest a foot on the brakes, whether it's the right foot or the left.
Good drivers using the left foot on the brake are easy to spot - they don't spend three seconds after the light turns green before they start rolling.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
My grandfather flunked his last CA drivers exam because he insisted on using his left foot to brake.
When I moved to CT in '99, and had to get a new license, I told the DMV guy that I used two-foot driving, and whether this would be a problem; if so, I could switch. No problem, he said, as long as I didn't rest my foot on the brake, and could switch to right-foot braking when driving a standard. Otherwise, he'd have to put an "automatic only" code on the license.
Same with switching from 9-3/10-2 to 11 when using the gear shifter heavily - that was fine too, as long as I knew why I was doing it.
So I guess it differs between states (and countries).
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
skylineguv
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Macan Turbo, Jet Black

Quote:
My grandfather flunked his last CA drivers exam because he insisted on using his left foot to brake. I don't think this practice is advisable. Pro drivers are able to heel-toe but never use both feet AFAIK.
I'd wager that the vast majority or pro drivers that came up through carting are left foot brakers in anything without clutch pedal and even those with when only required to get off the line.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thus the M-Sport left foot rest.

Bad drivers rest a foot on the brakes, whether it's the right foot or the left.
how does a driver that brakes with his right foot EVER rest his foot on the brake? He can't!
ONLY those that brake with left foot fall into this group.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I'm a three pedal guy, but I left foot brake when driving my wife's automatic car. Don't ever take a driving class if you think all left foot brakers are evil.

I also frequently heel and toe my manual car while downshifting, and you guessed it, use the brake and gas at the same time with my right foot. The horror!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
Some do, depends on the discipline.
Drifting? Hell yes.
Rallying? Absolutely.
Even in normal street cars it can be rewarding when done properly(applying brakes and keep the throttle in a little to keep the turbo spooling)
And the most race drivers tap the brake with their left foot to check if they still work/clear the pads.
An example from the forum:

Last edited by Naambezet; 02-09-2013 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #14
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
how does a driver that brakes with his right foot EVER rest his foot on the brake? He can't!
ONLY those that brake with left foot fall into this group.
This is so not true. Cars with standard coast too, often with the foot touching the brake pedal in anticipation.
This is especially apparent when you approach a hilltop, and you see brake lights coming on. This is likely the #1 cause of traffic jams, as the cars going uphill can't see why the brake lights came on, and do real braking as a result. Which transplants backwards until you have a buildup.

The only difference is that a two-foot driver can touch his brakes while giving gas -- if doing that while driving, you'll wear out the brakes. So two-foot drivers don't generally do that, except when it serves a purpose.

I'm sorry, but this is one of the things that "everybody knows" that just ain't so, just like the 10-2 rule or always turning the brights off when you see another car, or parking with the wipers pointing up when expecting frost.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #15
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is so not true. Cars with standard coast too, often with the foot touching the brake pedal in anticipation.
This is especially apparent when you approach a hilltop, and you see brake lights coming on. This is likely the #1 cause of traffic jams, as the cars going uphill can't see why the brake lights came on, and do real braking as a result. Which transplants backwards until you have a buildup.

The only difference is that a two-foot driver can touch his brakes while giving gas -- if doing that while driving, you'll wear out the brakes. So two-foot drivers don't generally do that, except when it serves a purpose.

I'm sorry, but this is one of the things that "everybody knows" that just ain't so, just like the 10-2 rule or always turning the brights off when you see another car, or parking with the wipers pointing up when expecting frost.
Jeez. I got a headache from reading that. If anyone else can make heads or tails of it please translate for me and be sure to reference how it pertains to the quote.
TIA
Appreciate 0