XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-20-2011, 05:21 AM   #23
rafaelfontoura
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 s drive 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotic Hadron View Post
I've had 17.8 l on my 18i for urban driving in winter conditions. Now the Board Computer shows like 14.5 l per 100 km. However, I suggest you not rely on this indicator.
Worth noting that I rarely spin the engine over 4,000 rpms.
I'd rather open service menu (to open the menu, press the trip odometer reset button and, while holding it, insert the key) and check entire mileage / consumption collected by the car for the entire driving period since the last time when your battery was discharged.
Hi exotic hadron

Thanks for the tips open the service
menu!
But i would like to know what means? I saw and record my service menu and publish in youtube ( [u2b][/u2b] service menu / bmw / rafaelinvestor).
Could you " translate to me", thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #24
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep
Drives: X1

Hi Rafael,

The link you've posted does not work for me. More details on the hidden service menu, which is available on every 3 Series, including X1 sharing the same platform, is available on this page.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 04:42 AM   #25
seamasters
seamasters
Australia
Rep
Drives: M5 F90 COMP , M4 Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
Cyee, I have an 18i as well, and yes it is heavy on fuel. I assume you have auto? - I do about 50/50 highway/city and my average is now about 10.5/100km. I know it's a pain, but what will really help is if you use Steptronic in manual mode. What irks me is that in full auto it hangs on too long on low gears when going up hills - sometimes won't change up till 4000rpm or higher.

My situation is a bit worse as I am at high altitude.

The manual mode works quite well.
i agree with manicm when u drive uphill in auto mode (D) it takes a while to shift gear which i find it annoying, So u really have to accelerate for it to shift gear and that will consume fair bit of petrol. the fix is DS -> Manual. so when driving the car uphill i love the manual mode,. i have had my car for 3 weeks now have done 1000km, mostly drive around the city 9.6L/100km... which i think is ok for this engine. milage is not depended only on the engine but also the driver.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #26
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajavivek View Post
i have had my car for 3 weeks now have done 1000km, mostly drive around the city 9.6L/100km....
Seesh, you mean 9,6 on 18i?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #27
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Exotic Hadron, it kinda makes sense as Raja in Aussie is driving at sea-level, I'm at altitude and the computer has not gone below 10.4l/100km - my current indicated consumption.

Then again, in Russia you're also at sea-level?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #28
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep

Yeah, here in Saint-Petersburg is one of the (how do you call it in English?) foot rules where all the see depth are measured from across the former USSR. So see-level here is zero.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #29
rob_378
HongKongX1
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i SPORT

Hi Guys,

Ive had my sDrive18i for about 2 weeks and it has done under 300km. Im also getting consumption figures around 15lt/100km even after resetting the computer.

Just wondering what your average speeds are, as mine is quite low, driving mostly in inner city traffic in Hong Kong. Im averaging about 22km per hour. This isnt exactly the urban/city driving that BMW refers to when they quote 9lt/100km. I presume to get those kinds of figures you would need to be driving mostly around 50-70km/hr with some traffic light stops.

What are your readings for average speed? Perhaps we can get a better idea if these consumption figures are normal?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #30
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Rob, I have the 18i as well - and you're still better off as you're at near sea-level compared to my high altitude region.

Stop-go driving will unfortunately give horrific consumption, and the autobox initially needs to learn to back off the low gears - train using your foot. And as much as I loathe to admit it, this engine in the X1 is a bit of a dud.

But the best advice I can give is to get used to the Manual mode quickly, it's easy to use and will downshift automatically at below 1000rpm. I'm using Auto sporadically on the highway as it's now learned to change up to higher gears a bit sooner. And on constant highway driving use the Cruise Control if you have it.

But I stress again - use Manual in town, and in most cases you can change up at 2000rpm to save fuel. Can't stress this enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 03:56 AM   #31
hectorty
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_378 View Post
Hi Guys,

Ive had my sDrive18i for about 2 weeks and it has done under 300km. Im also getting consumption figures around 15lt/100km even after resetting the computer.

Just wondering what your average speeds are, as mine is quite low, driving mostly in inner city traffic in Hong Kong. Im averaging about 22km per hour. This isnt exactly the urban/city driving that BMW refers to when they quote 9lt/100km. I presume to get those kinds of figures you would need to be driving mostly around 50-70km/hr with some traffic light stops.

What are your readings for average speed? Perhaps we can get a better idea if these consumption figures are normal?

Hi Rob_378,

I'm got my 1.8i 2 weeks as well. I based in Shanghai, which basically has the same traffic condition as in HK. I'm also averaging around 15L/100Km. Current odometer is around 350kms. I guess it is too early to measure the fuel efficiency at this early stage.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #32
greenfunk
Rep

when i got my 18i which are running on 18" rims ( i dunno if that makes a difference but people tell me it does) it was at 14.5l/100km it's been about 1000km and it has dropped. it's about 12.5l/100km now. i'm not sure about mileage, but i had a full tank drove for 14 days and i still had a 1/4 tank left.

Just a question, what petrol do you guys use? Is it necessary to use a 98ron petrol like shell's v-power? & what happens if you use a 95ron or a 91 ron?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 05:22 AM   #33
Cyee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 18i

If I'm not mistake according the use manual book Ron 95 was perfect for x1 and minimum Ron 91. Not necessary go for 97
I am 14L+/100km after 5000miles drive . Quick high fuel consumption I think the main cause is the average speed. I am 90% city drive average speed for 23km/h
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 06:13 AM   #34
SA 8080 ZN
Rep
Drives: X1 SDrive 18i

Hi, I also have an 18i and started off with horrible consumption, compared to my 120i, which basically has the same motor. Anyway, the 18i is an auto, and I'm at coastal level using 95 unleaded petrol. I have recently managed to achieve 9.2l/100km with conservative driving in highway/urban conditions. I have to admit though, that I was hammering the car initially. Ultimately though, this engine has no business in a big car like this, and I find it revving up too much to pull it's weight. BMW should have at least tuned it a little more.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #35
greenfunk
Rep

@SA 8080 ZN. agreed, the 18i is slightly underpowered, but im getting used to it. But every time i drive my sisters honda civic, i get that underpowered feeling again.
Is there anything we can do to make it feel faster? go-faster-racing stripes? air filters? anything???

also, would using a 98ron petrol improve petrol consumption? I was thinking of switching to 95ron. But i'm worried smth may happen. The dealer told me to pump 98ron.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #36
SA 8080 ZN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfunk View Post
@SA 8080 ZN. agreed, the 18i is slightly underpowered, but im getting used to it. But every time i drive my sisters honda civic, i get that underpowered feeling again.
Is there anything we can do to make it feel faster? go-faster-racing stripes? air filters? anything???

also, would using a 98ron petrol improve petrol consumption? I was thinking of switching to 95ron. But i'm worried smth may happen. The dealer told me to pump 98ron.
Yeah, about doing something about this underpowered engine... At this stage, I think the only thing we can do about it without compromising the warranty, is get used to it. 

That, or trade-in for a diesel, or wait for the twin power turbo model and pay through arse for it.

Seriously though, I bought this for reasons other than speed, so I try to keep that in mind when being overtaken by Hyundais and KIAs.

Ultimately, BMW does not do "cheap" very well.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #37
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

SA 8080 ZN - yes I'm in the same dilemma - I'm in Jhb. I've resigned myself to the fact that I will never willingly contest any Korean cars, no matter how tiny or small-engined, at the robots Thank God for making me choose the cruise control as well

BTW they have the higher-powered and yet more economical model for around 20grand more - the new sDrive20i - with 135kW(!) Makes me want to weep, but like I said...and I do like the rest of my X1.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #38
SA 8080 ZN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
SA 8080 ZN - yes I'm in the same dilemma - I'm in Jhb. I've resigned myself to the fact that I will never willingly contest any Korean cars, no matter how tiny or small-engined, at the robots Thank God for making me choose the cruise control as well

BTW they have the higher-powered and yet more economical model for around 20grand more - the new sDrive20i - with 135kW(!) Makes me want to weep, but like I said...and I do like the rest of my X1.
I don't see any 20i on the website??? Neither in the price lists. I will definitely trade up when it comes out here.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #39
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

SA8080 - it's definitely on the BMW SA Configurator.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #40
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Sport

Not that it helps once you've purchased a petrol, but if considering a trade up why not go diesel? In Oz the 2.0D was maybe $4500 more than the petrol. It was an obvious choice financially based on the quoted figures from BMW that the extra cost would be redeemed in fuel savings over only a few years. You might even consider the cost saving to sway you to trade in too. I can't believe some of the figures some people are sufferring with. My 2.0D pushed basically as hard as I can without completely thrashing it to damage point is giving me 6.0L/100km. I really struggle to get the economy worse than this from each tank. I'm not trying to be a pain in the bum or gloat, but do consider diesels. they drive like pertols do, rattle a bit when at idle and refilling can be messier, but I just love the idea that I can drive hard to no detriment. I think a 2.5D's in the pipeline somewhere abouts. It would be great. My 2.0D though has all the power most people would want.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 06:30 AM   #41
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

AusX1 you're correct.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #42
Cyee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 18i

my 18i with 27 liter petrol into it could only drive 160km
I am really disappointed with it
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 01:06 AM   #43
SA 8080 ZN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusX1 View Post
Not that it helps once you've purchased a petrol, but if considering a trade up why not go diesel? In Oz the 2.0D was maybe $4500 more than the petrol. It was an obvious choice financially based on the quoted figures from BMW that the extra cost would be redeemed in fuel savings over only a few years. You might even consider the cost saving to sway you to trade in too. I can't believe some of the figures some people are sufferring with. My 2.0D pushed basically as hard as I can without completely thrashing it to damage point is giving me 6.0L/100km. I really struggle to get the economy worse than this from each tank. I'm not trying to be a pain in the bum or gloat, but do consider diesels. they drive like pertols do, rattle a bit when at idle and refilling can be messier, but I just love the idea that I can drive hard to no detriment. I think a 2.5D's in the pipeline somewhere abouts. It would be great. My 2.0D though has all the power most people would want.
I also say that you are right. Unfortunately, I had always retained the view that diesel motors don't belong in high end cars. I now realize though, that diesel technology has come a long way in a short while. I phoned my dealer this morning to trade in for a 20d. Let's see how the math works out since my 18i is only a month old.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 06:51 AM   #44
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

I'm averaging about 42km/h in my sDrive 18i and I am getting 10.0L/100km. I travel freeways/expressways/highways most of the time. My mileage is about 12K Kms now.

By the way, I use 98 octane gas. I believe it does make some difference (not much though). I've pumped Shell V-power a few times and noticed I get a very slightly better mileage per tank. Something worth trying.

Last edited by Douggie; 10-13-2011 at 07:38 AM..
Appreciate 0