02-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #23
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Thanks! I may try this.
Tried it and the droning was obnoxious. BTW, the easiest way to plug the hose is to remove it and stick a BB inside it, then re-attach it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #24
Randy7fx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
I'm pretty sure he meant 3.5 MSport
Thats right. Sorry. That is what I get for posting from my iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #25
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy7fx View Post
Can you provide additional info regarding this Alpina B3 flash. Where do you go to do this? How much does it cost? How long does it take? What happens when you bring for service? Thanks again.
You can actually do the B3 flash yourself if you are good with computers. That's what I did. Alternately, you can pay someone a small fee and they can do it remotely over the internet. Google Alpina B3 Flash and it will take you to a thread on another forum with the DIY.

If you want to pay someone I THINK Alex at Alpine does it.

When you bring it in for service I would flash back to be safe, but I am super-paranoid about that stuff. Realistically they probably won't notice but who knows.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #26
Diesel8810
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i MSport

Awesome info everyone... Much Appreciated!

I am kinda pumped to play with the vacuum hose mod and see what it does to the exhaust note. If it is in fact too droning either way I'll try removing a set of cats as well.. Both quick cheap fixes..

The B3 flash that was mentioned above is very exciting as well.. I am anxious to dig in a bit and research how and who I can have do it remotely online as was mentioned... That will significantly increase my driving enjoyment..

Thanks again. I'll report back after I have had a chance to apply some of the info..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #27
balljack
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 | X1 35i | Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm6001
Your steering should be hydraulic and should have a heavy feel lol
I was curious about his comment too about servotronic. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 04:30 PM   #28
Nan
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i M Sport

I got a 2014 X1 35i m sport lemans blue with a couple of options for 50,000. If I did more research I would have purchased the X5 or the mercedes m for the same amount of money. Disappointed with lack of air in back, navigation doesn't do half of the things google navigation does, lack of storage in front, no power tailgate and no heads up display etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #29
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
I got a 2014 X1 35i m sport lemans blue with a couple of options for 50,000. If I did more research I would have purchased the X5 or the mercedes m for the same amount of money. Disappointed with lack of air in back, navigation doesn't do half of the things google navigation does, lack of storage in front, no power tailgate and no heads up display etc etc.
There is a huge difference in price between an X1 and a X5. How you paid 50k for the x1 I don't understand. Is that even possible? I put every option in once and came up with 49k. I paid 36k for my X1 out the door. Cheapest X5 at my dealers lot is listed as 67k. I don't get how they are even close to the same price.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #30
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
There is a huge difference in price between an X1 and a X5. How you paid 50k for the x1 I don't understand. Is that even possible? I put every option in once and came up with 49k. I paid 36k for my X1 out the door. Cheapest X5 at my dealers lot is listed as 67k. I don't get how they are even close to the same price.
I was thinking the same thing. I have every single option except harmon kardon on a X1 35i M sport, PLUS I got raped on the wheel and tire insurance for like $1300, and my cap cost was still under 50k. After discounts and incentives I paid way less than 50k.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 06:47 PM   #31
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Base X5 looks to be 52k or so.

And it does seem to come with heads up display.

That said....how could one think they want a little SUV when they really mean they want a big SUV?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #32
Nan
Rep

I purchased a 2014 X1 35i M sport lemans blue technology pkg, premium pkg, heated front seats total 50,000. So I don't know why you are saying this is a cheap car. I could have gotten an X5 for the same price.

QUOTE=Diesel8810;15327801]Hello everyone... I am a long time BMW Owner, Enthusiast and ex employee..

I just picked up an X1.. After much debate vs. another 335xi sedan I decided to go with the X1 for the added utility and also the $10k lower msrp.. My ONLY major reservation was the lack of a 6mt option... But due to my current work and life situation I did it anyway.. Here is my review and Mod plans..

2014 X1 35i Msport
Alpine White w Coral Red Leather
Ultimate Pkg
Heated Seats
HK
19" Wheels

Good Space for Hockey Equipment or Mountain Bike stuff and Cooler.
My 2yr olds Recaro Pro Sport fits great and it is easy to get him in and out.
Goes in the Snow... Albeit it takes an experienced drive on Summer tires.
This Baby X5M fits the bill as a daily driver for the next few years...

Dislikes:
6 Auto is just not good if you desire any performance... Just about the worst transmission for this motor.. I have owned a (2) 335i 6mt and driven their automatic counter parts and it feels like they have different motors.. The N54/N55 Motors just come alive with a manual.. I was hoping the Paddles would sufficiently assist the auto but it is not just the same.. I did not expect a 6mt to M DCT relation but was hoping to be able to get a little more out of the motor in manual mode..

Throttle tip in is very very sluggish...

Servotronic as standard = Brutal.. I never liked BMW's active steering system or Servotronic option... I always have loved the heavy feel of BMW's steering.. With Servo it feels like I am driving a Lexus.

Exhaust Note = Turbo Prius. At start-up idle you get a decent little rumble but then nothing while driving except for a little blow off noise... I can't understand how the vehicle can be so closely related to the 135i and the two exhaust systems sound completely different.. I suspect that BMW toned it down in the X1 to satisfy a broader client base but I am planning on addressing the issue asap. Even our family X5 35i has a little bit of a buzz saw exhaust note under acceleration...

Needs a little wider stance in the rear... 20" Staggered Wheels or some spacers for the time being...

MODS: Not trying to reinvent the wheel here.. Just a few mods to keep me happy.. An X5M or another M3 is in my future once we build or find the house we want...

Wipe the X1 badge and side "xdrive35i" badges - DONE

Exhaust - I am currently deciding whether to wait for some decent tuner options or just go to my buddies muffler shop and do something semi custom. It needs some growl for sure though.

Intake - BMS - Ordered

Tuning - BMS Stage 4 - Spring (when the wife is not paying attention)

Wheels or spacers - I think I will try out some BMS 18mm R and 12mm F and see if that improves the stance to my liking.. I hate the tucked in look that it has now and especially from the rear.. I'm still debating what 20's I would want to go with... Maybe something Concave.. Still looking around..

Anyway that is my story so far on this one..[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #33
Nan
Rep

Here is the breakdown. X1 35i is 38,800, m sport 2,500, le mans blue 550.00, premium pkg 2,400, technology pkg 2,250, heated front seats 500.00, destination & handling 950.00 is 47,950 and I had bmw apply cilajet for 1,300 total 49,250. Sorry didn't mean to add that to total nor the insurance for run flat tires. I special ordered my 2014 in February 2013. It came in April 2013. I feel I got taken advantage of and was over charged. I was upset that I spent that much money for that car. Now with people saying how could I spend that much I really feel the sales person could have told me to put that money into a better car.

QUOTE=atomic;15722736]There is a huge difference in price between an X1 and a X5. How you paid 50k for the x1 I don't understand. Is that even possible? I put every option in once and came up with 49k. I paid 36k for my X1 out the door. Cheapest X5 at my dealers lot is listed as 67k. I don't get how they are even close to the same price.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #34
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
Here is the breakdown. X1 35i is 38,800, m sport 2,500, le mans blue 550.00, premium pkg 2,400, technology pkg 2,250, heated front seats 500.00, destination & handling 950.00 is 47,950 and I had bmw apply cilajet for 1,300 total 49,250. Sorry didn't mean to add that to total nor the insurance for run flat tires. I special ordered my 2014 in February 2013. It came in April 2013. I feel I got taken advantage of and was over charged. I was upset that I spent that much money for that car. Now with people saying how could I spend that much I really feel the sales person could have told me to put that money into a better car.

QUOTE=atomic;15722736]There is a huge difference in price between an X1 and a X5. How you paid 50k for the x1 I don't understand. Is that even possible? I put every option in once and came up with 49k. I paid 36k for my X1 out the door. Cheapest X5 at my dealers lot is listed as 67k. I don't get how they are even close to the same price.
[/QUOTE]

It's not complicated; you got hosed.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #35
Nan
Rep

[/QUOTE]

I was unprepared. Oh well, expensive mistake.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #36
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

I was unprepared. Oh well, expensive mistake.[/QUOTE]

Hey, live in learn. That said, I checked out my buddy's X5 and I was shocked that the car is not that big inside. Moreover, the interior was not much different than mine except his stereo sounded a little better with clearly better bass.

Personally, I think the X1 is a great car and worth the money. The E90 on which it's based cost about the same or maybe even more. If you are looking for a compact crossover or hatchback, there is not much that has the X1's sportiness, luxury, ride quality. My car's MSRP was 49k but I bought it for 46k and change. Have no regrets at all and love the car more with each passing week (it's been 6 so far).
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #37
Nan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
I was unprepared. Oh well, expensive mistake.
Hey, live in learn. That said, I checked out my buddy's X5 and I was shocked that the car is not that big inside. Moreover, the interior was not much different than mine except his stereo sounded a little better with clearly better bass.

Personally, I think the X1 is a great car and worth the money. The E90 on which it's based cost about the same or maybe even more. If you are looking for a compact crossover or hatchback, there is not much that has the X1's sportiness, luxury, ride quality. My car's MSRP was 49k but I bought it for 46k and change. Have no regrets at all and love the car more with each passing week (it's been 6 so far).[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #38
Nan
Rep

Thanks for your response. I was so upset that was taken advantage of until I read your post and saw that you paid about the same for your x1.
Appreciate 0