Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-03-2010, 03:52 AM   #1
largehosier
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2.3D

My new X1 2.3d xdrive REVIEW & PICTURES

Engine QUIET when cruising or normal acceleration, exhaust loud sporty and engine loud under hard acceleration ONLY.
the car is nicely refined, road noise on poor surfaces the only intrusion until motorway speeds then wind noise noticeable, noise from roof bars not noticeable until 100mph (aerodrome).

economy = 28mpg to 60mpg depending on driving style average 35mpg.

overtaking effortless.

handling superb.

ride comfort, very good on 17 inch wheels and non run flat bridgestones.

quality of interior, no rattles or creaks whatsoever, very solid, if you don't like the type of plastic in the centre console get a life!

seats very comfortable (standard seats with leather) just right for a well built 6 footer (1.8m)

leg room in back = depends where you have the drivers seat = range from just adequate for a 6 footer to plenty of room for both rear and front passenger if both 6 foot.

boot space very good just picked up some furniture, size of car for me is ideal compromise.

autobox is seamless, quick and efficient, steering wheel mounted flappy paddles are now left paddle change down and right paddle change up, you can drive along in auto then flick the down paddle ready for overtaking, overtake then leave it and it goes back to auto. there is also a sport mode that changes quicker hangs onto gears longer etc.

power, very good torque from low down but the surprising bit is 4000 - 5250 rev range there is noticeable power and acceleration there, with the flappy paddles it's great fun, with the accompanying loud sporty exhaust note.

off road the car has the same ground clearance as a nissan x-trail and better performance in a bog I tested it on. I also have had a nissan pathfinder and lexus rx350 sel, the X1 is as good off road as either albeit with the limitations of tyres and ground clearance, the X drive system is very able. Ride on a stone track was vastly superior to any of my previous cars including the lexus air suspension.

on snow and ice I was pleased with the grip on the road tyres hill descent worked well on an ice covered hill, without it I could have ended in a ditch!

performance control = brakes the back wheel to avoid understeer = you can feel it working as you approach the limit, the car, suddenly is not the right word, but noticeably turns in when you would expect drift, so much so that you counter with the steering but when you get used to it, it really feels like the car is literally glued to the road and this coming from a 3 series saloon.

ride height is just right for getting in and out.

xenon headlights amazing and essential for safe driving at night on unlit roads.

the car is everything I had hoped it would be, I have had 9 cars in the past 12 years this is the first I will be keeping until the future face lifted X1 comes out then I'll be getting that! for me and my requirement, I have found the perfect car at last!!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by largehosier; 04-03-2010 at 04:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 03:59 AM   #2
largehosier
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

forgot to mention Lloyds BMW in Carlisle UK are still doing 15% VAT and free 5 years servicing, I couldn't find any better deals and the service from the salesman Dave Savage was excellent as he kept me informed and therefore relatively sane for the 11 weeks I had to wait for the new car.

AND the guy in the service dept who fitted the roof bars gave me the seal and protect kit free, I've put that on now a dead easy job, car detailing my ass the car will have a dent from my wife in asda car park within a week, no use in worrying.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 05:21 AM   #3
Stalemate
Rep
Drives: X3 + X1

thanks for the awesome pictures and reviews. well done for going white! but you sure have the guts to take it through the bog! ha.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 06:46 AM   #4
Dirk.xd
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 23d

Quote:
Originally Posted by largehosier View Post
autobox is seamless, quick and efficient, steering wheel mounted flappy paddles are now left paddle change down and right paddle change up, you can drive along in auto then flick the down paddle ready for overtaking, overtake then leave it and it goes back to auto. there is also a sport mode that changes quicker hangs onto gears longer etc.
Strange, I have got almost the same car (just not white and with nav) but on my car the flappy paddles work different: push forward to change up, pull to change down: there is no difference between left and right!

But I agree with the rest of the post. The autobox is much better than on my previous E61 525d: I can use the auto (in sport mode) even on alpine roads. This was not possible on the E61. It is also much smoother!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
pereru
Spanish Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Nice pics and good car.

Salu2
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
largehosier
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk.xd View Post
Strange, I have got almost the same car (just not white and with nav) but on my car the flappy paddles work different: push forward to change up, pull to change down: there is no difference between left and right!

But I agree with the rest of the post. The autobox is much better than on my previous E61 525d: I can use the auto (in sport mode) even on alpine roads. This was not possible on the E61. It is also much smoother!
BMW recently changed to new flappy paddles they look different too.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
largehosier
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalemate View Post
thanks for the awesome pictures and reviews. well done for going white! but you sure have the guts to take it through the bog! ha.
thxs dude, I'm familiar with that bit of off road and know there are no rocks!!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
T89
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i & Mini Cooper S

Looks good. Thanks for sharing your views.

T
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
georgerk
Rep
Drives: X3

nice photos, excellent feedback and much thx.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 03:56 AM   #10
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
i love the colour combo, i think your pics of your X1 has has finally made me a fan of the X1
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 05:44 AM   #11
kinan_sleiman2006
Lieutenant
Syria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Beautiful pics..nice combo
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 06:26 AM   #12
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

My wife wants one but we'll wait till we rotate back Stateside. Supposed to come out with US version in June.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #13
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Very good report - thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 03:35 AM   #14
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

thx for sharing! congrats for the lovely car!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #15
HORACE
England
Rep
Drives: X1

Great pictures and write up. Thanks. I am thinking of getting an X1 in near future. So I don't drive one yet but hope to. Borrowed the 2.0 SE for a few hours and very impressed. Couple of questions. Why did you choose leather option rather than the design package? Love the car but so many options -like a giant menu- and it quickly adds up to more than a 5 series! What options do you have. Which do you rate valuable and which less so. I want auto, leather, folding mirrors, bluetooth, USB etc etc. Having no media pack makes that side of things very dear buying items one at a time.

Tempted by the Garmin dock (hard wired into the dash sort of like an i-pod dock)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 03:31 AM   #16
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

Well, what options to choose will vary greatly according to each one's requirements.
When planning for mine I made 3 configurations:
1) the absolutely "must have" options
2) the "would like to have and useful" options
3) the "would like to have but not really needed" options

Everyone will have their own options for each of these categories.
For me, I considered leather sports, auto gearbox, panoramic roof, and 18" wheels "must have".
Then I added the bixenon adaptive lighting, parking sensors, etc. as "nice and useful"...
And for the 3rd part I put the rear camera, electric seats (as I'll be the only driver I won't be needing it much and can live without it), etc.

Then I evaluated all the options, and depending on your budget you can consider getting all the "1" options, probably most of the "2" options, and perhaps even some of the "3".

It indeed gets expensive, but it's kind of hard to buy a BMW X1 and then have less features than one gets when buying a car costing half as much (or even less).
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 05:08 AM   #17
HORACE
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
Well, what options to choose will vary greatly according to each one's requirements.
When planning for mine I made 3 configurations:
1) the absolutely "must have" options
2) the "would like to have and useful" options
3) the "would like to have but not really needed" options

Everyone will have their own options for each of these categories.
For me, I considered leather sports, auto gearbox, panoramic roof, and 18" wheels "must have".
Then I added the bixenon adaptive lighting, parking sensors, etc. as "nice and useful"...
And for the 3rd part I put the rear camera, electric seats (as I'll be the only driver I won't be needing it much and can live without it), etc.

Then I evaluated all the options, and depending on your budget you can consider getting all the "1" options, probably most of the "2" options, and perhaps even some of the "3".

It indeed gets expensive, but it's kind of hard to buy a BMW X1 and then have less features than one gets when buying a car costing half as much (or even less).
That's a good way of doing it. I'll go on the configurator and have a go at dividing them up into must have etc.

Agree about the sports seats and leather. But why not the design pack which includes both? Any reason?

I don't want oversize wheels as the ride is pretty firm already and they make it even firmer. Also lose some sensitivity from the steering and they increase tyre noise. Also so easy to scuff the alloys with lower profile tyres.

My other must haves are Automatic, Bluetooth (should be standard), luggage retaining net, cruise control, parktronic front and rear, USB socket and the Garmin dock. The Garmin is great as it has 7 digit postcodes, speed cameras and even the ability to update on the computer at home. I update regularly and get the location of mobile camera units as well as the fixed ones. And the BMW satnav is very costly. Shame there is no media pack.

Agonising over could leave off 4wd -but seems a shame. Could go for single turbo version -but the 23d does really shift and would be fun. But UK traffic? More extras and less grunt?

Last edited by HORACE; 04-16-2010 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 06:17 AM   #18
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORACE View Post
Agree about the sports seats and leather. But why not the design pack which includes both? Any reason?
Here in Portugal the design pack was only with the Nevada Oyster leather seats, I wanted them in black leather... so... no option for me.

Quote:
My other must haves are Automatic, Bluetooth (should be standard), luggage retaining net, cruise control, parktronic front and rear, USB socket and the Garmin dock. (...). And the BMW satnav is very costly. Shame there is no media pack.

Agonising over could leave off 4wd -but seems a shame. Could go for single turbo version -but the 23d does really shift and would be fun. But UK traffic? More extras and less grunt?
I went with the full BMW GPS navigation system (it's a over-expensive luxury I know). I could have considered an aftermarket unit if the dashboard allowed for an easy integration, but it really doesn't...

If you go sDrive, indeed you get a nice discount, and indeed the 4x4 isn't really "needed" for the most part - and you can now get the auto gearbox even the s18d. Really worth considering.

On the other hand, if you do want xDrive 4x4 *and* auto gearbox, then the price difference really favors going to the 23d - in my opinion.
Though, if the budget is really tight, even the 10% or less difference could allow you to add some extras you wouldn't otherwise...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 02:59 AM   #19
largehosier
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Great pictures and write up. Thanks. I am thinking of getting an X1 in near future. So I don't drive one yet but hope to. Borrowed the 2.0 SE for a few hours and very impressed. Couple of questions. Why did you choose leather option rather than the design package? Love the car but so many options -like a giant menu- and it quickly adds up to more than a 5 series! What options do you have. Which do you rate valuable and which less so. I want auto, leather, folding mirrors, bluetooth, USB etc etc. Having no media pack makes that side of things very dear buying items one at a time.

Tempted by the Garmin dock (hard wired into the dash sort of like an i-pod dock)
Thanks to all for your postive commentsa, I have nearly 2,000 miles on the clock after the first fortnight of ownership and the car is still perfect with no problems whatsoever.

The 2.3d comes with a number of options in the UK if you look at the configurator on bmw.co.uk you will see which (auto, flappy paddles, extended lighting, sports steering wheel, rear pdc, unique alloys, climate control etc standard.

I didn't go for the design package as I prefer the centre console package in black not a light colour.

I prefer the standard seats to the sport seats and find them perfect for my build.

I had a top of the range Lexus 350 with everything including 3 DVD screens, voice control etc etc etc etc etc, after the novelty wears off I found what was really important and what was simply there to pose and show off.

With my new X1 I chose 3 options, performance control for enhanced cornering, leather to enhance the interior and xenon headlights for safety.

I also have roof bars and may get a towbar at some point.

I use my Iphone for satnav and music. Iphone has a number of advantages to a built in car system, you can program it indoors and plan your journey and when you walk around a strange city with it in your pocket you can find your way back to your car!

When choosing options, look at the cost and what else apart from options on a car you could get for that same money, it is sobering!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 07:04 AM   #20
HORACE
England
Rep

Thanks guys. Useful advice and definitely food for thought.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #21
largehosier
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

10k miles update

10,000 miles done from new.

No problems whatsoever.

Engine really loosened up.

Everyone admires the car, family, friends and people in car parks ask about it not that that is important to me but might be to you.

More importantly to me is the practical aspects, great size (two dogs in the back), great ride, as good off road as you will need unless you are a farmer.

Quick 2.3d twin turbo! economy averaging 34mpg and for the pace we do, that is something else!

After 9 cars in 12 years when this X1 is 3 years old my next car will be....... another exactly the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #22
Turhapuro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 s18d

Very nice car, congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by largehosier View Post
Quick 2.3d twin turbo! economy averaging 34mpg and for the pace we do, that is something else!

Sorry to be a nitpick, but this occasionally gets to me.. The s18d, s20d, s23d, x18d, x20d and x23d are ALL 2.0 engines. So, it's not a 2.3d twin turbo. It's a 2.0 twin turbo commonrail diesel engine.

Not that this would seem to be a very tech-oriented forum anyway, but after a long line of BMW's I really can't help it, even when I've just ordered my first brand new BMW...
Appreciate 0