XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
Kampungboy
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: X1 18i Sdrive

X1 engine temperature gauge/ meter

Does X1 comes with engine temp gauge? How do you monitor your engine temp?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

My 23d doesn't, and it's the first car I've ever had which doesn't have a temp gauge!

I've gotten used to it not being there, and assume that there would be bells ringing and lights flashing if the temperature got too hot.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
Kampungboy
Malaysia
Rep

This is not cool after spending so much on "hi-tech" car but the designers forgotten the basics Just keep our finger cross the temp sensor will never fail
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #4
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

Wink

Kamp Boy, if theTemp sensor failed and you had a gauge you would not know if it was getting hotter would you ?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
DWB1873
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive Auto

"forgotten the basics" - I think not.

A temperature gauge is an anachronism, a relic from automotiove evolution. The car has so many sensors on it - it knows more abut everything going on in the car and regulates everything accordingly. Heated seats don't work if the battery isn't charged, engine characteristics change depending on conditions.

Next time you shut down your X1 in a quiet location, sit in the car and listen. Long after you've taken the key out the car is still busy.

There is no temperature gauge because it serves no purpose - the car will only do what it allows itself to. You don't need to know the temperature, the car does.

Be worried about the waterproofing/resilience of the electronics, not the absence of a temp gauge :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
iwantanx
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWB1873 View Post
Next time you shut down your X1 in a quiet location, sit in the car and listen. Long after you've taken the key out the car is still busy.
I too have heard the quiet whirring and clicking sounds coming from the car long after shutting it off, and wondered what it was up to. Does anybody have specific information on what's active at that point?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 05:04 AM   #7
Kampungboy
Malaysia
Rep

In event of reservoir leakage or engine overheating. Temp gauge trend is important to save the engine. My dad just burnt his engine many years ago because he was not paying attention to his temp gauge! Maybe this makes me nervous! BTW, now it's confirmed that X1 do not comes with this feature or "relic". Case close!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
Diesel-King
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sdrive18d

Perhaps the motor temp can be read by accessing the on board computer's hidden menu....My E39 had a hidden menu... So the X1 shouldn't be an exemption...The only problem is: how the heck do you access it?????
Appreciate 0