XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
aramosc
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 S-line 28i

Question X1 Roof Rack Owners

I am debating wether I will be getting roof racks or not. I want to use them to transport a 5'11" surfboard, snowboards and a couple mountain bikes (not at the same time ). I would like to remove the rack when it's not being used or remove at least the mounting attachments. Any of you guys that have the rack do you keep it on at all times or do you only install it when you are going to use it? can you post pictures of your X1 with the rack?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
peter123
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramosc View Post
I am debating wether I will be getting roof racks or not. I want to use them to transport a 5'11" surfboard, snowboards and a couple mountain bikes (not at the same time ). I would like to remove the rack when it's not being used or remove at least the mounting attachments. Any of you guys that have the rack do you keep it on at all times or do you only install it when you are going to use it? can you post pictures of your X1 with the rack?
Not exactly what you asked for, but... I'm not fond of the appearance of the OEM bar and am waiting for Yakima to complete a Whisperbar for the X1. See http://yakima.com/shop/rack-systems/...spbar-s41-rail. Very low profile - makes it unnecessary (IMO) to take them off when not in use. To encourage Yakima to make these for the X1, leave input here: http://yakima.custhelp.com/ci/documents/detail/2/NoFit/.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I threw a set of Yakima Rail Grabbers on our, they fit and tightened up just fine. I have a set of old school round bars with Q towers on my daily driver that I never remove, but I did mount and unmount my Thule setup from my previous M Coupe only as needed. The X1 is a utilitarian car, I'd just leave it on there.

You can make Whispbars work if you're willing to color outside of the lines a little, or just get the (possibly better) Thule Aeroblade that already has an approved fitting. I use too many accessories and prefer square or round bars, but with the panoramic roof of the X1, I might consider one of the aero setups.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
aramosc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I threw a set of Yakima Rail Grabbers on our, they fit and tightened up just fine. I have a set of old school round bars with Q towers on my daily driver that I never remove, but I did mount and unmount my Thule setup from my previous M Coupe only as needed. The X1 is a utilitarian car, I'd just leave it on there.

You can make Whispbars work if you're willing to color outside of the lines a little, or just get the (possibly better) Thule Aeroblade that already has an approved fitting. I use too many accessories and prefer square or round bars, but with the panoramic roof of the X1, I might consider one of the aero setups.
I was looking more into the OEM BMW bars since they are cheaper and made by Thule from what I've read here. but I don;t know if it's a PITA to remove or it makes any marks on the roof rails. Do you have any experience with the OEM bars?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was looking more into the OEM BMW bars since they are cheaper and made by Thule from what I've read here. but I don;t know if it's a PITA to remove or it makes any marks on the roof rails. Do you have any experience with the OEM bars?
No, I've always avoided the OEM bars because they tend to stand up much higher than the true Thule or Yakima setups. If they're the same attachment as Thule uses for their Aero bars, it will likely take two minutes or less to put them on or remove them. If you have bike trays or some other attachment that ties the front to the back, it's even faster and if you put a piece of tape on the inside of the rail, alignment is super quick.

Buy your rack at an REI sale, Amazon or somewhere online like ORS Rack and you'll likely save money compared to OEM.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
sfillion
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive28i & 128i M

Quote:
I have the OEM BMW bars and it takes about 3-5 min. to install and 1 min. to uninstall.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
Capionsfd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1 m sport

Any wind noise or drop in MPG's with OEM bars? How's the mounting, I have the gloss black painted rails and I'm worried about scratches.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
aramosc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capionsfd View Post
Any wind noise or drop in MPG's with OEM bars? How's the mounting, I have the gloss black painted rails and I'm worried about scratches.
Are the high gloss rails for the Sport Line?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
Capionsfd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Ours is a 3.5 Msport
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
aramosc
Private
Rep

Does anyone have pics of their X1 with the roof rack? The only shots ive seen is of the rack itself on the roof mbut not the whole car.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone have pics of their X1 with the roof rack? The only shots ive seen is of the rack itself on the roof mbut not the whole car.
Try to ignore the silly graphics, but you can just google X1 Powder Ride:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+...w=1280&bih=705
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
My dealer has a powder ride with no graphics on the car, just on the roof bin. Definately not worth the extra $$$ they were asking.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

I have the OEM rails and my bars are gloss black. I've had them on 4 times since December and NO scratches whatsoever. There is next to no wind noise.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #14
Capionsfd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT
I have the OEM rails and my bars are gloss black. I've had them on 4 times since December and NO scratches whatsoever. There is next to no wind noise.
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
Mtpisgah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 WRX & 2013 X1

I installed my roof rack last night. I ordered the rectangular bars so I could use the trays I already had. I drove it today on the interstate and the noise is minimal. I had a lot more noise with my Saab. The mileage will go down of course but I am not that worried. I have an older hitch rack I will use on long trips but I don't like them for daily driving.

The install/removal is not hard but I would say it will take 5-8 minutes now that the system is set up. The Saab took two.

I would post a picture but I have never had much luck posting pics to forums.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #16
Mtpisgah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 WRX & 2013 X1

It worked although it didn't show in the preview.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #17
aramosc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtpisgah View Post
It worked although it didn't show in the preview.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0