XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
BMWBig6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive28i M Sport

REST (or Residual Heat) Feature Present or Missing in X1?

Quote:

From E39 5-series owner's manual

REST FEATURE
The interior of the vehicle can continue to be heated with the engine switched OFF using
the REST feature of the IHKA. The feature is activated by pressing the REST button on the
IHKA control panel. When activated, the auxiliary water pump and blower motor are
switched on. This feature will remain active for up to 15 minutes or until the coolant
temperature drops below 30OC.

Switching ON requirements for the
REST feature include:

• Ignition switched OFF or in KL R
• Rest button pressed
• Outside temperature <15OC
• Coolant temperature > 70OC
• Battery voltage > 11.4 volts
• Less than 15 minutes after ignition is
switched OFF

Switching OFF conditions for the REST
feature include:

• Ignition switched ON - KL15
• Battery voltage < 11.4 volts
• Rest button pressed while system is ON
• Coolant temperature < 30OC
• After 15 minutes time period.

When the REST feature is activated in KL R, all of the IHKA functions are operable. This
includes the blower speed, air distribution control and temperature settings.
With the ignition switched OFF, the REST feature is in a preset operating mode. The blower
fan runs at medium speed and the temperature is set to allow maximum heat
I know that around 2010, BMW started replacing the REST (Residual Heat for 20 minutes with car parked/off to keep cabin warm) button in E90 and other series cars with the ALL button (to synchronize driver and passenger cabin temperature settings). However, many E90 owners were able to code their post-LCI cars so that the ALL button was reprogrammed to function like the old REST function.

Does anyone know if the X1 ALL button can be coded or programmed to operate the same way, or are all X1s missing the secondary pump and other bits to make this happen? Other BMW owners claim pressing up on the fan speed up arrow button or holding down the ALL button momentarily with the car off would also activate the rest function, but those were 5 and 7 series cars.

The iViNi app "BMWhat" claims it can control this feature for the X1 but has anyone successfully enabled it? And does the ALL (synchronize) function still work when the vehicle is operating, or does REST completely replace the ALL function all the time once this change is made?

Quote:
IHKA: Residual heat with \'ALL\'-button

active
not active
BMWhat: "ALL"-button triggers residual heat function of the AC.
Favorite Former Rides: 11 Ford F-150 Limited | 09 A4 S-Line Avant / 08 Audi TT S-Line / 03 Ford SVT Lightning / 01 Ford SVT Lightning / 93 BMW 740iL / 90 BMW 535iM / 86 Porsche 944 Turbo / 83 Porsche 944

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBig6 View Post
Does anyone know if the X1 ALL button can be coded or programmed to operate the same way, or are all X1s missing the secondary pump and other bits to make this happen?
Yes it can be coded. All hardware is present. I turn that function on every winter and revert it back when the spring comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBig6 View Post
Other BMW owners claim pressing up on the fan speed up arrow button or holding down the ALL button momentarily with the car off would also activate the rest function, but those were 5 and 7 series cars.
Holding down the ALL button after the car is off and warm didn't do anything for me. I haven't tried nor heard of any other button activating residual heat but it would be nice to have. I'm going to try tonight.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
NumberSix
Veloce
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future X1???

Ummm, what is
Quote:
activated in KL R, all of the IHKA functions
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
BMWBig6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
Ummm, what is
No idea!
Favorite Former Rides: 11 Ford F-150 Limited | 09 A4 S-Line Avant / 08 Audi TT S-Line / 03 Ford SVT Lightning / 01 Ford SVT Lightning / 93 BMW 740iL / 90 BMW 535iM / 86 Porsche 944 Turbo / 83 Porsche 944

Appreciate 0