Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #23
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
Face it, Americans as buyers are soft and prefer softer cars.

The successful Euro-Ford RS/Cosworth models and Opel Manta/Ascona 400 never even got their counterparts in American Ford and GM, and the VW Golf GTI was "customized" (softened) for the American market, and even then never became a bestseller like in Europe.
Americans in general don't like to feel connected to the road, and many are allergic to acceleration too. Not speed - they'll gladly drive 90 mph when it's safe to do 60, but think it's reckless to go 0-50 in less than half a minute.

Combine that with the much lower gas prices, and you get a bunch of cars with oversized engines, but little road contact. Nice for cruising long distances, but completely useless for spirited driving.
This is reflected in American motorsports, where Nascar is immensely more popular than rally cross.

And yes, most of the newer 3er models seem more like the 5ers and 7ers - more for comfort on the autobahn than for country roads. The 1 and true Ms is where the agility is now.
Don't always agree with you but this is 100% spot on.

On another note, I had to bring back my base 328i F30 loaner to swap out to a different loaner and I got a 2011 e92 base 328 xdrive.

You know what? It's a lot slower than the F30 but MAN what a blast to drive. Corners on rails, super stable at 90+ mph, fantastic suspension. And it just feels so much more solid. The steering wheel is 10x better, nice leather instead of the bullshit plastic on the F30's.

To me, this soundly destroys the argument of the F30 people that say you can't judge loaner cars.

You definitely can - this is as apples to apples as it gets. Two base 328i's, both with no packages. Like it or not, the e9x is just so much more of a driver's car.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 05-16-2013 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #24
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Like it or not, the e9x is just so much more of a driver's car.
It depends on what your driving style is. I can fully imagine that high speed driving on modern roads with cambered curves is much nicer in a newer F model. And it does have more nicknacks. But for tossing around on old macadamian country roads where 50 is fast, not so much. Then give me an old E-series instead.

Having fun driving on the curvy twisty hilly roads around here is the main reason why I bought what I did. I looked at a 528i (which I'm sure SWMBO would have preferred), 335i and X3, and a bunch of other brands, but decided on the one that was most fun to drive without going all out for an M.
It has its flaws, but how fun it is to drive actively isn't one of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #25
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

It's another technology....you can't compare... I drove both, I own the X1 but even my 116i F20 twin turbo performs better than X1... overall, I Love my X1 but I'll buy the X4 or X6 in a near future
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #26
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
It depends on what your driving style is. I can fully imagine that high speed driving on modern roads with cambered curves is much nicer in a newer F model. And it does have more nicknacks. But for tossing around on old macadamian country roads where 50 is fast, not so much. Then give me an old E-series instead.

Having fun driving on the curvy twisty hilly roads around here is the main reason why I bought what I did. I looked at a 528i (which I'm sure SWMBO would have preferred), 335i and X3, and a bunch of other brands, but decided on the one that was most fun to drive without going all out for an M.
It has its flaws, but how fun it is to drive actively isn't one of them.
Pretty much rules out roads in the USA!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #27
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

I started this discussion:

Just wondering, the loaner has Continental tires and my X1 has the Parelli's, can this be part of the smoother ride that dampens the same road imperfections from the loaner compared to my X1?

I noticed that the dealer has X1's with Parelli, Continental and Good years. When you check on line the Continental and Good Years are significantly more expensive then the Parelli's. Did I get screwed by BMW with these cheaper tires and what recourse might I have ? I loaded my X1 (Manuf. price over 45K) Does BMW just give less expensive tires at random?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #28
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Sorry, re: above question:

the tires are All Season Parelli's
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #29
aramosc
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 S-line 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer
Sorry, re: above question:

the tires are All Season Parelli's
You mean Pirelli?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 01:54 AM   #30
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer View Post
I started this discussion:

Just wondering, the loaner has Continental tires and my X1 has the Parelli's, can this be part of the smoother ride that dampens the same road imperfections from the loaner compared to my X1?
Yes, Pirelli A/S are harsh compared to the others.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #31
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Especially if the loaner had summer tires, and not all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #32
jph1
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 28i xdrive

I had a 3 series loaner too. For three weeks. My very first impression was similar, in that everything seemed to require less effort. In the end, I was happy to get my X1 back. I think this is mostly because of the hydraulic steering--better road feel. I didn't like the electronic steering in the 3 series. To me the X1 was more fun to drive.

Question: Does the 3 series with X drive have hydraulic steering?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #33
eliu01
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph1 View Post
Question: Does the 3 series with X drive have hydraulic steering?
No - With the F30 being a completely new chassis, they could design around the bulk of the EPS.
Appreciate 0