Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #45
Randy7fx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
What possible reason would you want soft close doors? Seems like feautres for no reason. Even less useful feature than the auto lift-gates.
My five year old sometimes has trouble closing the door fully. Soft close doors would eliminate that.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #46
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

You know, for total content the X1 is the best priced model BMW sells. Price a 3 Series GT - a bit larger but not much - with same options and its 1000s more.

If everybody could get all the little extras they want on an X1 - even as options - the X1 would be a more expensive vehicle than it is. So if you want soft close doors or power hatch or whatever, then pony up the cash for a model that offers those features.

I got the sDrive with Ultimate, Lighting and H/K for under 40K. I can close my own doors and if someone in my X1 can't, I'll close it for them. If you don't need the tech goodies, you can get into an X1, out the door, in the very low 30s. It's a freaking bargain IMO.

Same goes for the same 3 people who always say "Why can't I have a manual diesel?" Because it's not offered (in the US). Stop whining.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #47
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
You know, for total content the X1 is the best priced model BMW sells. Price a 3 Series GT - a bit larger but not much - with same options and its 1000s more.

If everybody could get all the little extras they want on an X1 - even as options - the X1 would be a more expensive vehicle than it is. So if you want soft close doors or power hatch or whatever, then pony up the cash for a model that offers those features.

I got the sDrive with Ultimate, Lighting and H/K for under 40K. I can close my own doors and if someone in my X1 can't, I'll close it for them. If you don't need the tech goodies, you can get into an X1, out the door, in the very low 30s. It's a freaking bargain IMO.

Same goes for the same 3 people who always say "Why can't I have a manual diesel?" Because it's not offered (in the US). Stop whining.
What a bunch of sensitive sally's on here. No one is complaining or whining. Who knew comments such as "soft close doors" would strike such a nerve.

Some people want more lux content without the bulk of a larger model. My x1 MSRP'd at 49k. I would have paid even more money for more content.

For those of you who don't want content, BMW sells base versions. You're not forced into it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #48
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post

I would love a manual diesel version. The reason it isn't being offered is American's don't want them evidently. You can get a VW wagon in Diesel.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #49
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post
What a bunch of sensitive sally's on here. No one is complaining or whining. Who knew comments such as "soft close doors" would strike such a nerve.

Some people want more lux content without the bulk of a larger model. My x1 MSRP'd at 49k. I would have paid even more money for more content.

For those of you who don't want content, BMW sells base versions. You're not forced into it.
For that money I would get a Diesel 3 Series Wagon or Audi All-Road. You would get more luxury and more space and a better looking vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #50
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
You can get a VW wagon in Diesel.
You can, but it's based on the previous Jetta and looks old, even off of the dealer's lot. Plus it's fwd and has stupidly old tech.

Good news is that we may finally be getting the GTD soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #51
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
You can, but it's based on the previous Jetta and looks old, even off of the dealer's lot. Plus it's fwd and has stupidly old tech.

Good news is that we may finally be getting the GTD soon.

I don' tthink it looks old. I think it looks better than the X1. There is a new Jetta Wagon that is all wheel drive that is coming out in the fall.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #52
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don' tthink it looks old. I think it looks better than the X1. There is a new Jetta Wagon that is all wheel drive that is coming out in the fall.
Which is only what, three or four years after the Jetta got redesigned? I've got a Golf R on order, but the recent rumors of ours not getting dual mode injection are just typical VW USA shenanigans.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #53
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Which is only what, three or four years after the Jetta got redesigned? I've got a Golf R on order, but the recent rumors of ours not getting dual mode injection are just typical VW USA shenanigans.
Well they are really Golf Wagons. So the Golf get redesigned and you get a new Golf Wagon. They call them Jettas in this country as people here hate hatchbacks. Thus the X1 is an SAV instead of a hathback.,
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #54
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well they are really Golf Wagons. So the Golf get redesigned and you get a new Golf Wagon. They call them Jettas in this country as people here hate hatchbacks. Thus the X1 is an SAV instead of a hathback.,
I think the bigger issue is that we started getting the dumbed down Jetta, and they didn't have a wagon to go along with it.

For us, we wanted an N55 in a wagon, so the X1 was the only answer. I'd still buy an M135i with an odd number of pedals, given the chance. Of course as pointed out elsewhere, I've owned lots of people's top three ugly BMW's, a Z3 M Coupe, a 135i and an X1.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #55
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

The new Golf Wagon is most definitely not coming to the US this fall. 0% chance. Best case is it comes mid-2015. Also, there has been no confirmation that the AWD version will be coming at all. Just an FYI. VW makes some truly inscrutable decisions about the US market so trying to use logic or reason for predictions is pointless.

I also am planning on getting an optioned-out Golf R in 2015, with a good ol' manual—x1 is wife's/family car. It's funny to say you have one on order, since, you know, no one in the US can really order one for a year, but, I'm sure dealer was happy to put you on a list for people who want to pay full MSRP . MPI issue is interesting, but I don't really care as long as the HP numbers stay the same. On a three year 30k mile lease, carbon build-up is not a concern, but it is a bizarre decision if they remove that feature from our engines.

Oh, and as an owner of current gen TDI Sportwagen, *no way* it looks better than an x1 from any angle, imho. The new MKVII Sportwagen is an improvement, but it's still just a big box, essentially. x1 has some flavor.

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #56
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomfg View Post
The new Golf Wagon is most definitely not coming to the US this fall. 0% chance. Best case is it comes mid-2015. Also, there has been no confirmation that the AWD version will be coming at all. Just an FYI. VW makes some truly inscrutable decisions about the US market so trying to use logic or reason for predictions is pointless.

I also am planning on getting an optioned-out Golf R in 2015, with a good ol' manual—x1 is wife's/family car. It's funny to say you have one on order, since, you know, no one in the US can really order one for a year, but, I'm sure dealer was happy to put you on a list for people who want to pay full MSRP . MPI issue is interesting, but I don't really care as long as the HP numbers stay the same. On a three year 30k mile lease, carbon build-up is not a concern, but it is a bizarre decision if they remove that feature from our engines.

Oh, and as an owner of current gen TDI Sportwagen, *no way* it looks better than an x1 from any angle, imho. The new MKVII Sportwagen is an improvement, but it's still just a big box, essentially. x1 has some flavor.

Well appearance is an opinion so to each his own. The US VW head got fire recently and replaced someone from outside the country. So maybe VW will make better decisions for the US. I don't really care for the looks of the new BMW 3 series and I don't think it looks as modern as the previous version.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #57
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

Quote:
For that money I would get a Diesel 3 Series Wagon or Audi All-Road. You would get more luxury and more space and a better looking vehicle.
I see people say this all the time, but you can't compare x1 and 3-series wagons evenly. With same options*, 3 series wagon is $10k more than x1. So a comparable 3 series wagon to his $49k x1 would cost about $59k.

*admittedly, getting same packages with 3 series wagon gives you a few more features for your $10,000, like HUD, heated rear seats, newer iDrive--but that's about it.

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #58
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Concur that the X1 is a wagon or hatch by any reasonable standard, but expensive hatches and wagons of any stripe don't sell here for reasons beyond my ken.
We have an '09 Audi Avant, surely one of the few sold as traditional wagons, and since reintroduced as the much more expensive Allroad.
I haven't had a car with a traditional trunk since a truly wretched Opel in the early 'seventies, but perhaps upmarket there is less enthusiasm for hatches.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #59
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

I'm still amazed at what my original photo set off in here. Fun reading though!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #60
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3

Same here... It's all good and fun...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #61
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3

Start another thread, we'll jack that too.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #62
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy7fx View Post
My five year old sometimes has trouble closing the door fully. Soft close doors would eliminate that.
If you drive a five year old, you check and adjust their seat belt, then close the door for them. No exceptions, ifs or buts.

And rather in an X5 than an X1, which really isn't a kid friendly car. The suspension is rather stiff, the air circulation isn't powerful enough, and the rubber door seals and wires under the front seats come off if kicked. The American versions are SAVs with emphasis on S. To be Driven, not rolled.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:01 PM   #63
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

Quote:

Agreed, those are very nice choices. For me, space is a premium. The x1 is about a foot longer than my last car and I feel the pinch. Any larger and I have to do multiple point turns to get in/out of my garage and other parking related challenges.

I think I may be the only one who likes the 2 series "active tourer". At 170in long, it's the perfect urban vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 06:47 AM   #64
Randy7fx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
If you drive a five year old, you check and adjust their seat belt, then close the door for them. No exceptions, ifs or buts.

And rather in an X5 than an X1, which really isn't a kid friendly car. The suspension is rather stiff, the air circulation isn't powerful enough, and the rubber door seals and wires under the front seats come off if kicked. The American versions are SAVs with emphasis on S. To be Driven, not rolled.
Thanks, but if I were looking for parenting advice I wouldn't be on a car forum. Of course I check her seat belt, which can be done from the drivers seat. Should I brush her teeth for her too?

Do you go around telling people who have kids in a civic that they should buy another, safer car? I am content with the safety features of my X1, just as I was with my previous X5.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #65
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

Still comparing 2 different cars are we.
If I had the money then I would go for the X6.
Racism, it isn't on the photo.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #66
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG S-Model 4Matic Wagon is a good choice for a wagon. 577 horse power. 590 torque. 0 to 60 in 3 seconds. Top speed 190mph. I don't know if comes with soft-close doors or auto-hatch closing but I think I would get it if the wife would let me.

Appreciate 0