XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-30-2015, 01:48 AM   #1
Zuerst
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive28i M

Dealer scratched front while switching out kidney grills... what would you do?

Took my X1 to the dealer a few weeks ago to get the stock grills change for all black ones to save myself time and need to get more tools.

They use the quick way and managed to scratched the front by levering the old grills out on the edge around the grills. See pic attached. Got them to refund the install cost and they offered to "touch up" the front.

Had to leave my car with them this past Monday and drove the courtesy loaner to work. I was on call overnight and went by Tuesday morning to pick up the car. Now it was scratched in two spot, and they only got one and did some other from rock chips that were small (and I don't really care that much about).

The thing is, the touch up job is poor to me (see pic attached). And being in a postcall call stooper I went home, took a nap, woke up, and notice that the rear wind shield wiper is now missing when I heard metal scratching glass when I went to clean off some afternoon rain/mist.

So now I'll need to go back later to get the rear wiper back.

They did give me some touch-up paint so that I can touch it up myself,... though I opted for the "professional" touch up people...

But with such poor touch up job (to me), bit off color paint (mineral white more difficult than alpine) and poor attention to details... would you request anything else/different/more?

It was meant to save me time, now I wasted hours with the dealer with more to come...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 04:14 AM   #2
GrantE83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83

It's a tricky one but they should be avoiding causing damage. Most garage have a smart repair guy that works at their branches.

I worked at an Audi here in the UK and things like parking sensors / fuel caps / small repairs etc they used a body shop 10 minutes down the road. They don't use an 'Audi Bodyshop. Plus they pay peanuts.

So in turn, I would imagine BMW are not too far off the same and I would try to opt to get them to repair it.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 06:41 AM   #3
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Sorry to hear. Reminds me of the time I brought my car into the dealer and picked it up with a new 15" crack in the front windshield. At least your dealer owned up to it.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 07:40 AM   #4
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

Inexcusable. I did the same swap with amateur skills and knowledge and only improvised tools, yet caused zero damage simply because I was careful and took my time with things. And it still only took me about 30 minutes. This was clearly a hack job by who was either incompetent or unconcerned with the condition of your car.

I'd ask for a proper repair and consider small claims court if they refuse. And regardless of the outcome, I'd be loathe to bring my car to them ever again.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #5
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

You go back, get the manager, and have a chat that starts with I want this fixed, and fixed right. If that does not happen, then the next chat begins with if I have to fix this, neither of us are going to be happy.

Last edited by BeEmVe; 10-01-2015 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I think small claims court would end up wasting more time than what the repair would be worth.

Go in and see the manager, I've nicely complained and had work done which was far more expensive than a paint chip. Don't go in screaming, that gets nothing done. Be firm and civil about it. If that dealer gives you problems, bring your work order to another dealer and explain what happened. They might be willing to steal a customer.

My dealer repairs chips as part of the paid car detail sessions. They've touched up the crease of my rear bumper where looking at the paints causes it to flake off, and one can barely tell there was ever a chip. Your repair should look no different.

If all else fails, call BMW NA. Tell them the story and see what they can do. They will usually get it fixed and fine the dealers. Even threatening to service managers about calling BMW NA will usually get them to change their tune.

Hope it gets fixed and all works out well for you.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0