XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

08-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #1
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Sample in car vid with my Hero 4 Black, need tips

I just got this a few weeks ago and I did a short night video with it and I wanted to know if there is anything I am missing settings wise to get better quality? I am using an external lapel mic run to the bumper above the license plate. It is cheap little mic. Not sure what type of mic would be better to capture higher quality sound. Any suggestions? I am planning on using it for track day vids to look at how I am driving and also want good sound. I will use it when I take drives in the canyons along with friends in their cars as well. I will likely get another Hero 4 soon to get 2 angles in order to edit them together for more interesting vids.

Last edited by HPFREAK; 08-18-2015 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
patb23
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP & '62 corvette

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [10.00]
1962 Corvette  [10.00]
Sounds good. Makes me miss my Z06.
Mods: Gloss Black Wheels, 35% 3M Tint, IND Gloss Black (LCI Grilles, Side Markers, Rear Emblem) IND M5 Floor Mats, RKP (McRae Splitters & Rear Diffuser), Passport 9500ci, Suntek PPF-C, M Door Projectors
1962 Corvette Convertible Red/Black (Gone:'11 750Li, '09 Z06, '08 550i)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 11:12 PM   #3
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patb23 View Post
Sounds good. Makes me miss my Z06.
Oh you had one huh? What year? Ya I love this car. It was great stock but now with heads and cam on e85 it is a different animal. I had a 135i before it. I am someone that wants to improve on things all the time so if there is a better widget that will allow me to make better doodads then I want it. I know there are really expensive directional and omni directional mics but they are a bit large for mounting on the car but they would be great for fly by videos and external camera shots.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
patb23
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP & '62 corvette

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [10.00]
1962 Corvette  [10.00]
it was an '09, I sold it couple yrs ago. Never got the chance to mod it other than a full upgraded sound system and subs. it was a fun car to drive though.
Mods: Gloss Black Wheels, 35% 3M Tint, IND Gloss Black (LCI Grilles, Side Markers, Rear Emblem) IND M5 Floor Mats, RKP (McRae Splitters & Rear Diffuser), Passport 9500ci, Suntek PPF-C, M Door Projectors
1962 Corvette Convertible Red/Black (Gone:'11 750Li, '09 Z06, '08 550i)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patb23 View Post
it was an '09, I sold it couple yrs ago. Never got the chance to mod it other than a full upgraded sound system and subs. it was a fun car to drive though.
Well you still have a 62 I see which is pretty nice. Those are going up in value are they not? I think most C1 and C2's are.
      08-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #6
daonlyillwiz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

lol that acceleration at the end reminded me of my old car (95 eagle talon tsi AWD) that made 580AWHP
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 01:38 PM   #7
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz View Post
lol that acceleration at the end reminded me of my old car (95 eagle talon tsi AWD) that made 580AWHP
Ya it hits hard above 3500rpm and if I go WOT below 3500 it wont spin but on a lot of surfaces when it is cooler like it was that night at about 72 degrees it will hook then spin at 5000rpm and that is more dangerous than just waiting until about 4000 and going wot for some reason. The rear end will want to come around a lot faster if hit the gas at a lower rpm and then wait for the traction break at peak torque. So I usually bring it to about 4000 then hit it hard and I can control the rear end better getting in and out of it. I have good tires to but most of the time with it making 500rwtq at 3900rpm it wont matter unless it is hot out and the tires are up to temp. I am running Pilot Super Sports at the stock size. When it was getting down to the low 60's or high 50's at night back in March and before it was impossible to even roll into the gas in 2nd without major tire spin. It would bust traction in 3rd sometimes.

I may be changing the cam out and going with more compression to take advantage of the e85 more. Right now it is only allowing me to run more timing but because of the relatively low compression of 11.4:1 it is not really helping much. Adding more timing does not really add more power plus you need compression for e85 that is why it works so well in boosted cars plus the cooler cylinder temps help.

There is another video on my channel that someone else took of me hitting it in 2nd having traction issues but it was cooler even since it was by the ocean so the air was freakin great. Where the above video was taken it is about 1500+ft
      08-18-2015, 02:04 PM   #8
daonlyillwiz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFREAK View Post
Ya it hits hard above 3500rpm and if I go WOT below 3500 it wont spin but on a lot of surfaces when it is cooler like it was that night at about 72 degrees it will hook then spin at 5000rpm and that is more dangerous than just waiting until about 4000 and going wot for some reason. The rear end will want to come around a lot faster if hit the gas at a lower rpm and then wait for the traction break at peak torque. So I usually bring it to about 4000 then hit it hard and I can control the rear end better getting in and out of it. I have good tires to but most of the time with it making 500rwtq at 3900rpm it wont matter unless it is hot out and the tires are up to temp. I am running Pilot Super Sports at the stock size. When it was getting down to the low 60's or high 50's at night back in March and before it was impossible to even roll into the gas in 2nd without major tire spin. It would bust traction in 3rd sometimes.

I may be changing the cam out and going with more compression to take advantage of the e85 more. Right now it is only allowing me to run more timing but because of the relatively low compression of 11.4:1 it is not really helping much. Adding more timing does not really add more power plus you need compression for e85 that is why it works so well in boosted cars plus the cooler cylinder temps help.

There is another video on my channel that someone else took of me hitting it in 2nd having traction issues but it was cooler even since it was by the ocean so the air was freakin great. Where the above video was taken it is about 1500+ft
Yea man you can tell the car has tons of power. E85 is also more forgiving that pump gas so you can definitely run a higher timing map than you would with pump. Maybe try driving around with R comp tires? if it's not a daily driver that wouldn't be a bad idea. Thats what I had to do because even though the car was AWD it still wanted to kick the rear out in 2nd gear.

As far as audio quality in your video I think it was fine. I have the Hero 4 Black and when it is inside my car I use the non-waterproof housing.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 03:30 PM   #9
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yea man you can tell the car has tons of power. E85 is also more forgiving that pump gas so you can definitely run a higher timing map than you would with pump. Maybe try driving around with R comp tires? if it's not a daily driver that wouldn't be a bad idea. Thats what I had to do because even though the car was AWD it still wanted to kick the rear out in 2nd gear.

As far as audio quality in your video I think it was fine. I have the Hero 4 Black and when it is inside my car I use the non-waterproof housing.
oh ya e85 is great but the quality here in Socal is pretty poor since it is blended with regular gas at 87 octane so it kills some of the effectiveness plus the pump gas here has more oxygen I it to begin with than in other states. My cam also holds a lot of cylinder pressure so it is more sensitive to fuel changes and we have the summer blend crap. I personally have never seen the e85 at the pump actually be 85%. Most of the time it is around 78-80% according to my flex fuel sensor.

Right now I drive it daily but I work pretty close to home. I may get a cheapo daily soon though and I can keep the Z on better Tire.
      08-18-2015, 08:25 PM   #10
daonlyillwiz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
oh ya e85 is great but the quality here in Socal is pretty poor since it is blended with regular gas at 87 octane so it kills some of the effectiveness plus the pump gas here has more oxygen I it to begin with than in other states. My cam also holds a lot of cylinder pressure so it is more sensitive to fuel changes and we have the summer blend crap. I personally have never seen the e85 at the pump actually be 85%. Most of the time it is around 78-80% according to my flex fuel sensor.

Right now I drive it daily but I work pretty close to home. I may get a cheapo daily soon though and I can keep the Z on better Tire.
Man that sucks...Here in NY I only had that problem in the winter months. The hardcore guys around here actually buy their fuel from Ohio and bring them back in drums
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 10:06 PM   #11
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Man that sucks...Here in NY I only had that problem in the winter months. The hardcore guys around here actually buy their fuel from Ohio and bring them back in drums
Ya Most states are starting to go to lower grade fuel with all those crap additives that destroy performance and economy. It is funny that the EPA and state agencies want people to conserve but they insist on adding crap to standard fuel that make it worse in the name of it being "cleaner burning" which in most cases it doesnt. My tuner out here is from Nebraska and moved here to tune for a local shop that has a lot of cars that race on the street and track. He tuned for years back in the midwest and as soon as he came out here he started noticing that the cars here just could not make the same kind of power even with better air here. So a lot of the people he tuned for decided to go E85 but about a year ago the quality started to change and he noticed it in his blown grandsport vette. He couldnt get away running it as lean or with as much timing. I know guys he tunes for with 1000+hp GTRs and CTSV's that actually get C85 barrels shipped to them since it is so consistent and makes a bit more power than e85 because it is always 85% no matter what plus it is just better for forced induction to begin with. I would rather run 100 octane but it is 10 bucks a gallon at the local pump.lol

Pump e85 is just really bad now in comparison to what it was a couple years ago due to California requirements and how they make it here. Yes it gives me more head room over pump 91 but not as much as running straight 100 octane with no ethanol in it. We tested it.
      08-19-2015, 08:05 AM   #12
daonlyillwiz
Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting, well I dont doubt it honestly. Back when E85 just started becoming popular some of the local gas stations were selling E85 w/ 75-80% ethanol while marking up the price like crazy...in some cases $.60 or more and this was during the summer months when we typically have good quality ethanol.

Like you said 100 octane is $10/gal so sometimes we just have to deal with it...I haven't used E85 in about 3 years now and I miss that smell of warming my car up in the morning
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 12:47 PM   #13
SheaButter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CP F86 X6M

Are you recording in 4k wideangle/superview?

E93 M3 AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber - Fully Gutted Exhaust and muffler delete | 2007 DB9 Bone Stock | 2016 428i
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #14
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheaButter View Post
Are you recording in 4k wideangle/superview?
No regular 1080 medium at 60fps with protune on and low light mode on.
      08-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #15
SheaButter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CP F86 X6M

Quote:
No regular 1080 medium at 60fps with protune on and low light mode on.
Give 4k a try, you'll like it you can do SO much more on the editing side with it.

E93 M3 AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber - Fully Gutted Exhaust and muffler delete | 2007 DB9 Bone Stock | 2016 428i
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #16
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheaButter View Post
Give 4k a try, you'll like it you can do SO much more on the editing side with it.
I was going to try that out soon but I need a 128g card since I am working with 32g one right now. I know I can just resample it in Sony Movie studio 13 to 1080p for uploading. Not sure I want to try to upload what will likely be 5-10min of track or canyon driving in 4k.lol

I wish the Gopro did a little better at night than it does compared to my Canon 1D4 with noise but the canon has a much larger sensor. The bad thing is it is too damn big to mount anywhere without a professional rig setup that just costs too much so that is why the Gopro is such a great tool.